Waitress fired for posting this online

Options

Replies

• AJL_Daddy
    AJL_Daddy Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Wow...just...wow.

Disagreeing with the cultural expectation for a certain percentage of total cost as a tip is one thing.

Not seeing how that disagreement shouldn't involve bringing religion into the equation...I don't even know...

another Atheist. Poor America.

Catholic actually. I feel sorry for you.

In before he calls you '*kitten* of Babylon' or some other ridiculous tripe that the average Baptist likes to throw around about Catholics.

Not a Baptist. Try again!
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^^
  • AJL_Daddy
    Options
    You really need to read the ENTIRE thread, not just selected ones. LOL!

This is directed at SouthCarolinaGuy.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Very, very clear reason to fire her.
    A customer had left her a private(although STUPID) note, but she publicly embarassed him by posting his name.

The customer's note is a classic for the Passive Agressive Notes website, but it is really not worth remembering after your shift is over.
  • jgollnick
    jgollnick Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    The firing is a "grey" area. It doesn't expose the name of the restaurant. But the customer could see there signature and create a situation. If its the policy of the restaurant to not expose any information about the customer the fireing is valid.

I understand why the waitress would be upset. That was an extremely condescending comment, and the fact that it came from a pastor makes in even worse. The cherry on top too is that if you feel you don't want to tip a waitress 18% that's fine, but they left nothing but sarcasm.
  • EjaneK11
    EjaneK11 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Wasn't this person a pastor or something like that? Aren't they supposed to give go 100% not just 10%? Just saying. And I can't believe the lady got fired, should of got a warning. If the person did not want others to see the message, they should of never wrote it. If you don't want to give a tip, don't give a tip. Don't have to be all mean about it. And you don't have to give 18%, the person could of gave her something instead and not of been a jerk about it.
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I would have done the same thing and posted it to my FB. People deserve to be called out if they are being idiots!
  • trinitylyons01
    trinitylyons01 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    She should NOT have been fired. That Pastor was not a nice man. It's people like him who give true Christians a bad name. If you don't want to be embarrassed don't do embarrassing things like leave waitresses stupid notes.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Wow...just...wow.

Disagreeing with the cultural expectation for a certain percentage of total cost as a tip is one thing.

Not seeing how that disagreement shouldn't involve bringing religion into the equation...I don't even know...

In before he calls you '*kitten* of Babylon' or some other ridiculous tripe that the average Baptist likes to throw around about Catholics.

Not a Baptist. Try again!

I could fill an entire page with guesses at all of the weird denominations and still miss a few. I'll pass on this game though. :D
  • HykerGurl
    HykerGurl Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I will NOT be going to Applebee's anymore! THey need to back their employees, like Laurenzos' in Texas did for Michael Garcia when he stuck up for the disabled child. Applebee's food isn't all the great anyway, I would rather give my money to a local mom and pop restaurant with fresh local ingredients :-)
  • Deipneus
    Options
    A customer had left her a private(although STUPID) note, but she publicly embarassed him by posting his name.

The customer's note is a classic for the Passive Agressive Notes website, but it is really not worth remembering after your shift is over.
    Said the employee who posted it, who was not the waitress who served them, she was upset for her friend: ""I had no intention of starting a witch hunt or hurting anyone. I just wanted to share a picture I found interesting," she said. “I come home exhausted, sore, burnt, dirty and blistered on a good day. And after all that, I can be fired for ‘embarrassing’ someone who directly insults their server on religious grounds.”
  • AJL_Daddy
    Options
    I could fill an entire page with guesses at all of the weird denominations and still miss a few. I'll pass on this game though. :D

You seem to be the ONLY person in this thread not jumping to conclusions. Good on you, sir!
  • AJL_Daddy
    Options

Said the employee who posted it, who was not the waitress who served them, she was upset for her friend: ""I had no intention of starting a witch hunt or hurting anyone. I just wanted to share a picture I found interesting," she said. “I come home exhausted, sore, burnt, dirty and blistered on a good day. And after all that, I can be fired for ‘embarrassing’ someone who directly insults their server on religious grounds.”

SO...the employee fired in this scandal was NOT the server? Interesting twist!
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Definitely warranted firing. It's a privacy issue and she violated it. In no way is it okay to take a receipt and take a picture of it and upload it online. Just taking a picture of it would be violating privacy issues.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    If the pastor really wants to repent she should ask that the waitress be rehired.
  • Deipneus
    Options
    You see, this isn't the first time I read about this. It's all over the news. Google "Applebee's fires server". It's not going well for them.
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Because God asked for 10% (Numbers 18:26).
    Applebee's is apparently asking for 18%. I have never seen a designated amount like this before but I always give a fair and generous tip. This server is obligated to pay a certain amount of taxes based on sales. She lost money on this "Man of God".
    I was raised through my jr high and high school years by a single mother/waitress after she was laid off from a high paying job at GM so I am sensitive to this.
    If I can't afford a tip I stay home or get carry out. I would suggest the pastor do the same. Either that or eat at his parishoners homes. May as well, it's their 10% paying his salary anyway.
  • AJL_Daddy
    Options
    You see, this isn't the first time I read about this. It's all over the news. Google "Applebee's fires server". It's not going well for them.

I haven;t read about this before this thread. I'm just trying to make myself laugh while I'm bored at work on a Friday.
  • Deipneus
    Options

I haven;t read about this before this thread. I'm just trying to make myself laugh while I'm bored at work on a Friday.
    So you're stealing time from your employer. Imagine my surprise.
  • Nancy_hc
    Nancy_hc Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    b) Tips are part of my wages. I make $2.40 an hour. Not tipping is causing me to make less than minimum wage.

I have no sympathy - you chose to get a job where you had to rely on tips. You earn tips - they are not mandatory.

The customer had every right not to tip - I think perhaps he shoould have left no comment. People seem to be hung up on his words more so than his choice to not want to tip.