Waitress fired for posting this online

Options

Replies

• Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    SO...the employee fired in this scandal was NOT the server? Interesting twist!
    You see, this isn't the first time I read about this. It's all over the news. Google "Applebee's fires server". It's not going well for them.

I haven;t read about this before this thread. I'm just trying to make myself laugh while I'm bored at work on a Friday.

Here is a link to the story:

http://consumerist.com/2013/01/31/waitress-who-posted-no-tip-receipt-from-pastor-customer-fired-from-job/
  • AJL_Daddy
    AJL_Daddy Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    You see, this isn't the first time I read about this. It's all over the news. Google "Applebee's fires server". It's not going well for them.

I haven;t read about this before this thread. I'm just trying to make myself laugh while I'm bored at work on a Friday.
    So you're stealing time from your employer. Imagine my surprise.

Self-Employed.
  • LGrill27
    LGrill27 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I think it should be mandatory that everyone be a waiter/waitress once in their life. No one would be torn on this issue.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options

So you're stealing time from your employer. Imagine my surprise

Self-Employed.
    Nope.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    If the company does not follow their policy they open the door to future lawsuits.

I do not know Applebee's policies but I would guess there is a privacy policy. There is also probably a progressive discipline policy which states if some act is so egregious it warrants firing on first offense. If they don't take action and follow these policies, employees may push the envelope. If someone is stealing do you give them a warning? Most likely you fire them on spot. Obviously Applebees felt this person went to far.

I don't agree with how the customer handled it but sometimes people are inconsiderate. Maybe she had a bad day. Maybe speaking with the manager on duty and saying "we are leaving a cash tip, can you please remove the 18%" would have been better. I wasn't there. This is not how I would have handled it but I also would not have posted a picture of the receipt either.

Also:
    The FLSA requires that covered nonexempt employees be paid at least the federal minimum wage of $7.25 for all hours worked, plus time and one-half their regular rates, including commissions, bonuses and incentive pay, for hours worked beyond 40 per week. In accordance with the FLSA, an employer of a tipped employee is required to pay no less than $2.13 an hour in direct wages provided that amount plus the tips received equals at least the federal minimum wage of $7.25 an hour. If an employee's tips combined with the employer's direct wages do not equal the minimum wage, the employer must make up the difference. Employers also are required to provide employees notice of the FLSA tip credit provisions, and to maintain accurate time and payroll records.
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I don't think she should have been fired AT ALL. The guy that wrote this is a complete jerk. You can't see the name of who it is and there isn't a pictue of the so called pastor. I found it funny he says he gives 10% to God yet he can't even help her. Jesus wouldn't take too kindly to that. It's amazing the type of hypocritical people that call themselves Christians.
  • AJL_Daddy
    Options
    Nope.

Nope, what?
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    This isn't the first time some waiter/ess has posted a receipt online before - This one is only getting flack because the customer was embarrassed and made it an issue. She should be embarrassed and she should have apologized to the waitress.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I don't think she should have been fired AT ALL. The guy that wrote this is a complete jerk. You can't see the name of who it is and there isn't a pictue of the so called pastor. I found it funny he says he gives 10% to God yet he can't even help her. Jesus wouldn't take too kindly to that. It's amazing the type of hypocritical people that call themselves Christians.
    It's telling that everyone assumes the pastor is a male. It's a female.
  • FeatherBoBeather
    FeatherBoBeather Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Why exactly does the pastor deserve to maintain privacy? Its a private establishment, not the US government. If you're an idiot, let's trumpet that to the world. Maybe a bit of ridicule will make people think twice about being a moron.

^
  • AJL_Daddy
    Options

Yeah I've noticed that theme, too.
  • andreanicole686
    Options
    I think it should be mandatory that everyone be a waiter/waitress once in their life. No one would be torn on this issue.

I've said this multiple times! Being a waitress before and someone who has worked in retail you really see all sides of people and many are horrible.
  • andreanicole686
    Options

Most pastors are male that is why I assumed. Either way SHE is a jerk.
  • AJL_Daddy
    Options

Most pastors are male that is why I assumed. Either way SHE is a jerk.

My noticing most assume the pastor was male was just that, something I noticed. Sorry!
  • crazysexykoo
    crazysexykoo Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I heard that the Pastor has since apologised for emabarrasing herself and the church. LOL! The power of social media, both good and bad I guess. Hopefully the exposure will lead to a better job opportunity for the server.
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Christians are cheap when it comes to tipping and anything else they don't think they should have to pay for. I am NOT SAYING ALL CHRISTIANS are cheap, but a "majority of the ones I have dealt with are". One example of many: I went out with some ladies from church for lunch (party of at least 10 if not a few more) and I had to run back to the table because I forgot my sweater. I noticed they had left this poor woman a 10% tip. I ended up adding $10 to the tip on the table because I was embarrassed by their behavior. It happened again and I swore up and down I would never dine out with christians again. If we have something at church, they get mad if they have to pay $3 per person for snacks and a drink.

Full disclosure: I am a christian, but I came to the faith as an adult. I have noticed that those who are born in the church tend to be cheap.

Jesus taught generosity and I bet you he would have left an 18% tip. :wink:

Oh, and don't get me started on those that leave a tract on how to find the Lord instead of a tip. I'm sure that has brought a lot of people to the faith. :huh:

edited: to change the phrase from most christians are cheap to most christians I have dealt with are. An important distinction.
  • AJL_Daddy
    Options
    Like I said, i usually tip 20-25%. Sometimes more. Almost never less. BUT, I do that of my own free will. If I was directed that I MUST, just because I have a larger party, I'd probably bite back, too!
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I heard that the Pastor has since apologised for emabarrasing herself and the church. LOL! The power of social media, both good and bad I guess. Hopefully the exposure will lead to a better job opportunity for the server.

That pastor should be embarrassed. The waitress should have blurred the name, but she probably didn't think it would blow up like this.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    b) Tips are part of my wages. I make $2.40 an hour. Not tipping is causing me to make less than minimum wage.

I have no sympathy - you chose to get a job where you had to rely on tips. You earn tips - they are not mandatory.

The customer had every right not to tip - I think perhaps he shoould have left no comment. People seem to be hung up on his words more so than his choice to not want to tip.

Because there are so many other jobs out there to choose from. I'm always surprised when I find someone who isn't living in the real world. How does that happen?

Anyway, a quote from the waitress who was fired:

"I had no intention of starting a witch hunt or hurting anyone. I just wanted to share a picture I found interesting," she said. “I come home exhausted, sore, burnt, dirty and blistered on a good day. And after all that, I can be fired for ‘embarrassing’ someone who directly insults their server on religious grounds.”
  • kansasbelle
    kansasbelle Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    She shouldn't have disclosed his name... I got suspended at work when I ask a guest why they left a smiley face on the tip line...WTF? The worst was a guy who had friends who were servers and talked about how hard the work for tips his whole meal then stiffed me. When he came back in I asked him why and he said he was in school and couldn;t afford to tip? I asked him if he had cable he said yes, I said I don't, do you have internet..him yes, well I can't afford that, Oh and you can afford a 50 dollar dinner several times a month while I barely ate because dumb *kitten* like him don't tip. And I was the head trainer for my restaurant. I had tons of regulars. I gave great service. The restuarant industry doesn't protect it's employees. They care about the consumers coming in. They don't even have to pay waiters more than 2.13 an hour... Seriously they are making a ton of money off of the services servers provide why should we be dependant on the customer to pay our wages. We weren;t even allowed to add automatic tips on big partys. And yes sometimes a big party of 25 will end up leaving you like 10 bucks which you have to pay to the bar tender and busser. And by the way you end up taking money out your pocket because of their meal. It's rare but happens.