What do you pay for your gym?

Replies

• I bought the prepaid 2 year membership to 24 Hour Fitness at Costco for myself and my husband. It was $349 each, works out to be about $14.60/mo each (no extra fees either like an enrollment fee). We just decided to add the kids club membership for a recurring $20 a month. We want to be able to go together, and I know when summer rolls around I will use no child care as an excuse to not go. Plus my son loves it. In total for 2 adults and a monthly kids pass = $50/mo. Although we did prepay for our memberships. I love not having a monthly cost, and what better Christmas present than your health?

I love Costco!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    I bought the prepaid 2 year membership to 24 Hour Fitness at Costco for myself and my husband. It was $349 each, works out to be about $14.60/mo each (no extra fees either like an enrollment fee). We just decided to add the kids club membership for a recurring $20 a month. We want to be able to go together, and I know when summer rolls around I will use no child care as an excuse to not go. Plus my son loves it. In total for 2 adults and a monthly kids pass = $50/mo. Although we did prepay for our memberships. I love not having a monthly cost, and what better Christmas present than your health?

I love Costco!

That's a really good deal. Is it really open 24 hours? Because sometimes I just want to run at 1 am when MY gym is closed. :laugh:
  • JohnnyResets
    JohnnyResets Posts: 177 Member
    My wife and I are in a no frills gym that we pay about $45 a month and then about $40 annually for a maintenance fee. No frills is no towel service, no lockers, no real changing area. There are a lot of machines, and free weights and fitness balls and such. that's a block from home. But to get a total experience, I'm also a member of LA Fitness too for only $199 a year (grandfathered in years ago from a Chicago Health Club to Bally's membership. That's a nationwide membership.

For protein powder, I do Costco and for about $40 you can get a big bag of powder that will last for about 4 - 6 months depending on how many shakes. (Since I was a slacking *kitten* in 2012, I got about 8 months.)
  • wayyyy too much.. $12 a week!
  • waylandcool
    waylandcool Posts: 175 Member
    $0 for me. My company recently built a real nice fitness center in the basement of the office so I workout there during the week. My development also has a fitness center included in my monthly dues.

I probably spend $50-60 a month on supplements. That may drop once I get in shape.
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    I pay $45 a month for my gym and it includes all the classes, towel service, free shower products in the locker room, child care and a sauna. (I've seen other gyms that are $10 a month, but then you have to pay extra to take Spin, yoga, Zumba or any other popular classes which ends up totally way more than my current membership.) I have a Hulu+ account for $8 a month and they offer exercise videos there, plus I can get free workout videos on my Roku and iPad. I use protein powder only occasionally so one can of Designer Whey French Vanilla can last me a year.

The only real big ticket item for me is a good pair of running shoes. My new ones cost $130. I made the mistake of buying cheap shoes before and paid for it with severe nerve and joint damage to my legs after only a month of running in them. It kept me from working out for six months and caused me a lot of pain due to my falling arches. Now I make sure to get good arch support and cushioning.
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    YMCA family membership $78. Ten of that is extra for a child that is 18.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    $35.00 a month for the gym and that includes any and all classes offered.

don't take any supplements, so i pay a whooping $0.00 for them.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    $19 a month for the gym, maybe $40 a month in protein supplements.
  • NVREST
    NVREST Posts: 94
    $15 month/ $30 in Protein
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    My company has two local gyms. The nice one is for the employees and locals. The cheap one without the pool, private trainers, classes and running track is strictly for the employees.

I go to the cheap gym. My membership is $25 a year.
  • DBubba65
    DBubba65 Posts: 15 Member
    I pay 60 dollars a month at a full service fitness center. I spend 50-60 per month on supplements.
  • AmberB519
    AmberB519 Posts: 336 Member
    I take Weight training at my college, so I only have to pay for a 1 unit class per semester, open gym. So $46 twice a year (Spring/Fall)
  • superrjo
    superrjo Posts: 112 Member
    I'm lucky, my gyms so cheap. 50 for the entire year (its my uni's gym but this includes the whole of summer too). We've got two large cardio suites, strength room, exercise studio, activity hallf, squash courts, swimming pool, steam room and sauna. Tons of equipment and it includes all gym classes :)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
  • I pay $34.00 a month plus training once a week. Getting 10 training sessions is 240 upfront. I also get a protein shake thing for 30 a month and I get all classes for free! (Except I go to Zumba somewhere else for $5 a class since my friend is teaching it :D)
  • Shrelana
    Shrelana Posts: 248 Member
    I spend $40/month on two memberships (me and hubby), and our health insurance pays $20/person/month, so...we basically have a free membership
  • jamie610811
    jamie610811 Posts: 1,735 Member
    £25.00 per month , pretty cheap in England
  • shanster23
    shanster23 Posts: 144 Member
    £10 (thats $15ish) a year. So like £1 a month lol. Yay for student gyms. Only open a very few specific hours though which is why it's so cheap because the majority of the time you can't use it!
    And about £20 a fortnight for protein shakes :)
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    30 bucks a month