Whats the one thing that set you off to want to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I was (and still am) sick of my boobs resting comfortably on my stomach as I sat down. I've never had this much belly fat in my life evern when I was growing babies.
  • nachodman
    nachodman Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Being hispanic and from a family with a long history of heart disease, diabetes, etc...I didn't want to end up a statistic. Furthermore, I have 2 wonderful children that I want to see grow up, graduate college, be successful and have their own kids (not right away mind you). I want to be the father that my son gets to play basketball against, the father my daughter runs 5Ks with (which we have run about 8 to date...plus or minus).
    I guess I just wanted to be healthy and a role model for my children...how dare I say, you should be more active and eat healthy while munchingon donuts in front of the television...LOL
  • nachodman
    nachodman Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    May God give you the strength to see this through. I educate diabetic patients everyday and the toughest nut to crack is the one that each person CAN control their diabetes, but it is up to each person. The medical team can give advice, medications etc, but it is ultimately the choices each patient makes that either help control or make them vulnerable to their diabetes.

Keep it up. I have a patient, whom I will call Mr. Jared, (not his real name of course) who lost over 90 pounds over a 9 month period and is no longer on medications for diabetes or high blood pressure. While you are insulin dependent, that is a totally different story, but you can prevent some of the complications you mention if you keep your blood sugar as close to normal, as long as you can...Diet and exercise are big helpers...I admire your determination and pray for your success!
  • beautifulbeast11
    beautifulbeast11 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    My wedding pictures.... *ugh*
  • aj_20_04
    Options
    More i lift the more girls i get, who needs better motivation than that?
  • Galathea96
    Galathea96 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Me realising that my tummy jutted out more than my boobs.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    My weight had been slowly creeping up. One day I stepped on the scale and it read 169. I thought "heeeellllll no!". I made a promise to myself right then and there that I would never reach 170 in this lifetime, and I haven't. Currently 151.5 and still working on it.

Also, several years ago my father died of heart disease and respiratory issues. In January of last year my mom suffered a major stroke and is now confined to a wheelchair with no use of her right limbs and can barely talk. Diabetes has taken several of my relatives. I refuse to die of any of these conditions if I can help it.
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize how big I had gotten because I was in such a deep depression for a long time, it's like one day I woke up and realized I was the "people you see on TV" big and I could not walk from my couch to my bathroom without excruciating pain. I didn't even feel human anymore, and I knew I had to do something or I was going to die.
  • Kath1391
    Kath1391 Posts: 138
    Options
    Seeing pictures of myself at my heaviest (12 stone)..My cheeks were puffy,my stomach was bloated etc..I've lost nearly two stone but want to lose another stone :)
  • dickinsonrd
    dickinsonrd Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had my golf swing videotaped...and couldn't believe that was me in the video because I looked SO overweight. That did it.
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I went to visit my mother in Florida. For some reason, being there for that time changed my whole outlook on myself...

Sometimes, these things just happen.. something just snaps, and then you notice how DONE you really are.
  • travelistadiva
    travelistadiva Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I saw a picture of myself next to three 'normal sized" people and realized i was the size of all of them combined! I had no idea how large I was.
  • jsimler1
    jsimler1 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    When I realized my BIG girl pants were waaaaay to tight and some stores didn't carry my size anymore...its embarassing to only be able to order your pants online
  • BellaLunaFleur
    BellaLunaFleur Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Having my s.o say he wished I was the size of a friend of mine.
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Knowing that I CAN do better!
  • hardworker1167
    hardworker1167 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My church fast at the beginning of each year for religious reasons, I noticed that I was losing and people noticed so I just kept going.
    My job provides a gym for their employees for an affordable rate, I no longer had an excuse.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I didn't want to be almost 300 lbs Mom talking to the doctor about my son's weight. I was concerned cause he is a bit food obsessed and I felt like I didn't have the right to talk to the doctor. I can't wait to take him to the doctor soon. He is turning 13. He hasn't gained any weight in quite a while. Now, I will probably go in there and be a worried Mom about that. LOL
  • jgollnick
    jgollnick Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I became infatuated with martial arts. I want to study Tae Kwon Do but not at 261. At this time I also realized I was almost 100 lbs. over weight
  • nitrogen_widget
    nitrogen_widget Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    It's amazing what separating from a cheating spouse does to a person.
  • surromom2010
    surromom2010 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    mom died. Also, got on the scale for the first time in a year (didn't own one and never go to the doctor) and I was almost what i weighed when I was pregnant. Mind you, the day I had my son I was 6 lbs less than what I was BEFORE i got pregnant, in other words, NONE of that was "baby weight" just good ole' fasioned fat! lost 8 lbs in 2 months by quitting non sugar free energy drinks that I had every morning, didn't even exercise. Pretty good motivation!