Anyone know of any low calorie IPA's??

Options

Replies

• mtbiker1069
    mtbiker1069 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Well who new I'd get my next bit of brewing advice from MFP... :)

Since i'm a home brewer I've always used dry hops, not fresh. My homebrew store doesn't even carry fresh hops... I'll have to see about locating some for my next batch to see how big of a difference it makes.

Can you all recommend any wet hopped commercial beers then?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Gaaawwwwdddd....you people are killing me. I need a friggin' beer and it's only 9:30AM on a Wed. I have some Stone IPA in my outdoor kitchen fridge, but i told myself not until Friday after work...i may have to break that little promise to myself now.
  • minkychan
    minkychan Posts: 32 Member
    Options

Since i'm a home brewer I've always used dry hops, not fresh. My homebrew store doesn't even carry fresh hops... I'll have to see about locating some for my next batch to see how big of a difference it makes.

Me too!!! How do you manage to brew beer and still lose weight? Those tasty 5 gallon batches can add up real quick especially if it comes out tasty and very drinkable. ;-)
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options

Sierra Nevada makes one .. called Reserve or something ...

And I've heard Founders has one called Harvest ... I think.

All of the wet hopped beers I've had are homebrew. And you'll probably only find them commercially in the fall as special releases, so keep your eyes peeled.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options

Me too!!! How do you manage to brew beer and still lose weight? Those tasty 5 gallon batches can add up real quick especially if it comes out tasty and very drinkable. ;-)

Uhh... it's slow going... I just really have to use self control, and work out a lot, and during the summer months I have a lot of people over to enjoy the beer with me so that I feel like I'm getting benefits of brewing without needing to drink an entire corny myself.
  • numsquat
    numsquat Posts: 133
    Options
    I brew both English & American and like both, depends more on the season. Colder months I drink English style more, almost to barley wine levels, and some higher alcohol American (8-9%). Warmer months pretty much strictly American but lower alcohol (6ish%).

Wet hopping is using fresh picked whole hops versus dried hops (leaf or pellet). Usually gives a more "earthy", "woodsey", "(enter term for dirt)" flavors. Most people either love or hate the flavors.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    IPA are India Pale Ales and they are a thick darker beer. I love them but hate the calories they bring. One trick I have done it to get a glass with ice and put them in. It add water to it so it lasts longer and takes longer drink. Plus you are getting some hydration which will help flush out the beer better. With the darker beers they don't seem to water down with taste like a Bud Light or other beer.

Reported: This offends me on so many levels.

kind of srs

I just might later....
  • mtbiker1069
    Options
    Gaaawwwwdddd....you people are killing me. I need a friggin' beer and it's only 9:30AM on a Wed. I have some Stone IPA in my outdoor kitchen fridge, but i told myself not until Friday after work...i may have to break that little promise to myself now.

+100 to this. I'm really thirsty now... Damn it!

I rode my bike to work today, which is about 800 calorie burn for me, so I can have that 22 ounce Lagunita's Hop Stoopid when I get home...
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options

I gave up brewing years ago because I thought it was keeping me fat. Now that I lost the weight, while drinking lots of beer, I picked it back up again.

And this time, I taught my wife how to mash.

I have a well-tested clone of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale sitting in a keg right now. Cascade everywhere, dry-hopped, and 1056 baby!!
  • mtbiker1069
    Options

I ride my bike to work. That's how I manage. I enjoy riding my bike so the ride part is nice, but I burn a **** load of calories in the process, so when I get home I have a few extra calories so I can have a beer.
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Beer is delicious. If you drink frequently then I would consider maybe switching to something else. But if its a casual thing in moderation, I would just enjoy the taste of good quality craft beer and not even care what the calories are. It's worth it.
  • bonemuse12
    bonemuse12 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you consider "low" but for IPAs, Founders All-Day IPA clocks in at 144. It's a session IPA, which means about 5% ABV, but it's full of flavor. Great on a summer day. (or any day that ends in "y".)

Cheers!
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Just drink good beer that you enjoy. Drink it in moderation, if you must. Try drinking sparkling water in between your IPA's, it stretches out your drinking time and each beer tastes new and delicious! I implore you, do not mix good beer with water ... or with anything ...but your mouth
  • Rottnme
    Rottnme Posts: 167 Member
    Options

Sierra Nevada makes one .. called Reserve or something ...

And I've heard Founders has one called Harvest ... I think.

All of the wet hopped beers I've had are homebrew. And you'll probably only find them commercially in the fall as special releases, so keep your eyes peeled.

This.

Some of your local or regional breweries/brewpubs probably already make one. I know that Titletown in Green Bay makes one every year with hops that thier customers bring in. It varies greatly from year to year but is always worth a try.

...if you really want to step up the hop flavor and aromas in your homebrews, start looking into mash hopping and flamout hopping. I have had extremely good luck in a pale ale development series I'm working on with flameout hopping.
  • Rottnme
    Rottnme Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you consider "low" but for IPAs, Founders All-Day IPA clocks in at 144. It's a session IPA, which means about 5% ABV, but it's full of flavor. Great on a summer day. (or any day that ends in "y".)

Cheers!

Be sure to look into Lagunitas Daytime IPA. It clocks in at 140 calories, is under 5%, and is a fantastic brew. As far as I know Lagunitas has not yet perfected the recipe to their liking so expect it to change slightly but definately give it a try if you like hops.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options

I count calories AND carbs. Since my target is under 20g a day, one good beer can put me over. I really miss brewing (I've been super busy), but I'm getting back into it ASAP, especially since I have a 15gallon kettle and I'm getting the itch to try all grain.

I try to save my carbs/calories for good beer, and I don't sweat it if I do go over. It's the ONE thing I refuse to give up, so I try to make it fit.
  • maryannelk
    maryannelk Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Great thread! I try to stay under for a couple of days so I can have a couple of IPAs over the weekend. There are some very virulent anti-alcohol posters. Great to see so many others fitting this into a healthy lifestyle!
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

Sierra Nevada make a "Harvest Ale" series that contain wet hops.

A friend and I made a wet hop ale last year for an event we put on with the local Botanical Garden. They grew the hops; we harvested them fresh off the bines and made a beer to serve there for Learn to Homebrew Day. We also dry hopped with some of the wet hops (if that makes sense!). Turned out very yummy!

My Dogfish Head 60 minute clone (a nice, hoppy, sessionable IPA at about 5.2% ABV) turned out to be 173 cal per 12 oz according to my brewing software. A 6.6% ABV English IPA is just over 200 cals. I work them into my allowance!

btw - there is a Craft/Homebrew group that just started for people who love the hoppy nectar: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/11960-craft-beer-and-home-brewing
  • mlightvt
    Options
    If any of y'all make it to Vermont ever, you MUST check out Hill Farmstead Brewery - their "Edward" brew - an American Pale Ale - is just amazing, INCREDIBLY hoppy and citrus-y, it's my new favorite brewsky ever!!
  • numsquat
    numsquat Posts: 133
    Options
    To find wet hopped beers go to the websites of craft brewery's that have beer you can get locally. Buy them in the fall as the hop goodness drops out quickly, I wouldn't buy a commercial one right now. Even better would be going to a local brewpub. Upstream Brewing in Omaha did a wet hop on their firkins this past year, was great, probably the best wet hopped beer I ever had.

A couple of buddies and I have 8 hop vines at one of their farms. 2 cascade and 2 centennial among others and we use some off of each one for wet hopping each year. Actually started wet hopping because we didn't have enough drying racks one year when the vines really took off and have kept it up since then.