WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2013

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options

So we start one day at a time. Today is day 1 of this week. Let's see how many good ones I can string.

Linda C In a very very cold Northern Ontario.

Perfect attitude! Can I use it, too?

Katla in NW Oregon--still too dark to check the weather.
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Hi and good morning!

Barbie, that's a cute site with the talking moose, I calculated my BMI there this morning, 27.3 (still overweight but much closer to healthy than ever before, yay!) and I fall into the 42nd percentile for my age group. I feel pretty good about the % part, but the 27 number makes me mad. And 27 is my lucky number, always has been. Uh oh, don't tell me ........ oh for Pete's sake, no, no no, tell me it isn't true! Maybe this is why I'm stuck at 27. Could it be my lucky weight? Ack! Nothing else makes any sense.

Thought I'd better get in here for some good Vitamin F since I'm was a bit disgruntled after stepping on the scale this morning. At least it's down a couple of ounces from last week. It seems that's all I get anymore, a couple of ounces. Oy. :ohwell:

Alrighty, here I go, I have a few things to get done early then will head to the track. I feel better now, :bigsmile: thanks, everyone, for being here, I love reading about what you're all up to. Or down to. :laugh: Have a wonderful day!

:smile: jb in Portland where at least it's not 27 degrees :tongue:
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Good morning,

Well, at least we are almost to the weekend. I saw DH on computer this morning looking up vacation places for next year. Whoopie!
    Although I hate winter, a vacation to someplace warm makes it tolerable. My exercise routine is walking on a treadmill every other day, but I really want to start something new. Maybe tomorrow....any suggestions?:devil:

:embarassed: Jane - I never heard of the trapezial muscle, so I looked it up. I think I have the same problem, but I always thought it was because I can never get comfortable when I sleep and my neck is always sore in the mornings. I am constantly buying new pillows to try and alleviate the problem. The website I looked at suggested that upper body exercise might help, and since I have absolutely NO upper body strength, that made sense to me. Maybe my new exercise should include some upper body work.

:smile: Jeannie - I have always been a cat person, but DH is a dog person, and our dog would NEVER tolerate a cat. I do miss having those lovely furry creatures around.

:heart: Robin - Such adorable pictures! Granddaughters as so much fun!

:flowerforyou: Sue - Congrats on the smaller pant size.

:angry: Barbie - Insurance sucks, doesn't it? My doctor said I should get a Shingles vaccine as the older I get, the more at risk I become. When I inquired at my pharmacy, I was informed that insurance doesn't pay for it, and the cost was over $200.00! How do they make these decisions on what is important and what isn't?

:flowerforyou: Linda - You can do this!

:wink: Tammy - I'm sure you'll do a bang-up job with that golf tournament!

:happy: jb - Loved the poem.

Have a wonderful day, and for all you ladies on the east coast....keep dry, the storm is a comin!:noway:

Hugs,
    Lucy in Delaware:bigsmile:
  • jodios528
    jodios528 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Finally feeling better and I'm 3 pages behind on all these posts!
    :flowerforyou: Thanks for all the well wishes.

I'm back at it today (although taking Laura's advise and easing back in vs. jumping in full board).

:smile: Yesterday I put on a skirt that was uncomfortably tight less than 2 months ago and now was only a tad snug in the waist - YEAH. Having my clothes fit again is definitely helping me cope with the very slow movement on the scale.
    Everyday I just remind myself that my true goal is to be my healthiest self. How I feel and look is more important than a number on the scale. I'm trimming down, getting stronger and my skin is glowing from all those fruits and veggies.

:heart: Have a great day and remember why you are doing this...stick with it!
  • janehadji
    janehadji Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    We woke up this morning to 5 inches of snow on the ground. It's pretty, but I'm hoping the roads are melted off before I leave for the VA again this afternoon. I seem to live in a snow pocket, so there will probably be less in town than there is here. It's typical Colorado weather here today -- sunny with blue skies, but cold!

Has anyone used VRBO for vacation rentals? We're considering listing our condo there. If you have any experience/comments on it, please message me.

Nancy – Granada sounds wonderful! I’m still working on my beginner Spanish, and have found memrise.com and wordchamp.com to be helpful. There are also some good free courses on i-tunes university on the i-pad. I’ve been looking for a class/conversation group near my home, but have been unable to find one.

Robin – Your granddaughter is really cute!

Sue – Two great NSV’s!!!

Linda C -- .2 is a loss, so good for you! You’ll break 200 next week for sure… I know you can do it!!!

Lucy –I’ve been fighting with the trapezial muscle since last summer. It hurts, doesn’t it? I went the doctor, who simply said that it’s extremely hard to alleviate and gave me some neck exercises to do (stretches in different directions). I switched to a memory foam pillow by Serta that is higher on the top and bottom edges, but scooped in the middle, and it seems to help some. The only thing that truly helped was a deep tissue chair massage I had in Mexico. It took 15 minutes, and I was pain-free for 5 days! Then it came back. Let me know if you come up with anything that helps. I’m sure upper body exercise would be a plus for this.

Jane in Colorado
  • brookehe
    brookehe Posts: 413 Member
    Options

:smile Yesterday I put on a skirt that was uncomfortably tight less than 2 months ago and now was only a tad snug in the waist - YEAH. Having my clothes fit again is definitely helping me cope with the very slow movement on the scale.
    Everyday I just remind myself that my true goal is to be my healthiest self. How I feel and look is more important than a number on the scale. I'm trimming down, getting stronger and my skin is glowing from all those fruits and veggies.

:heart: Have a great day and remember why you are doing this...stick with it!

At yesterday's weekly weigh-in I'm down another two pounds. My reward at 10 lbs. (next week!!!!! :wink: ) is going be be jeans that actually fit! Looking forward to pulling out the suitcase I put away last summer with my "next size" clothes that were too tight then.

Brooke from Colorado
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Okay, I popped in to tell you a funny story on myself to brighten your day. I like to listen to books on CD when I drive. I was on the last CD of a mystery by Stuart Woods, and on my way to work. I knew that I was only around track 2 or 3. Anyway, suddenly when it changed tracks, there was a sentence or so, and then "We hope that you have enjoyed this performance of Severe Clear etc." I was yelling as I drove down the street: "What?? You can't do this to me! You have never left me hanging like this before!" I looked over and noticed that for some unknown reason it had skipped to track 17. So I hit the back button, and it went to track 8. I was befuddled, and wanting my story by then!! I am sure that if there had been a video camera in the car, I could have won "America's Funniest Home Videos" as I continued to hit buttons and argue with the CD player. I kept punching buttons and finally found track 4, so settled for that, even though I was pretty sure that I had missed something. I kept looking over at the stereo, and realized that there were some letters that I had never seen across the top. To my old eyes, it looked like it said "AND". I thought, "AND what? and now it is time to play tricks on a half awake woman on her way to work??" When I got parked at the school, and could look better, I realized that it said "RND." Okay, random? I have driven this vehicle for 8 years and didn't even know that I had a random setting, let alone how to turn it on or off! I finally hit buttons until I got it off, and was able to find track 3 so that after work I can return to my book. The moral of this story? If you know an audio book-aholic, who is technologically challenged, and want to play a good April Fool's joke, sneak in and change their CD player to random! It will make their day! (I have been laughing at myself for several hours now.) Enjoy your day, and remember to laugh!
    Mary, from Kansas where something in the air apparently changes settings in your car
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: One day til Friday:bigsmile:

Robin- LOVE:love: the pictures soooo cute:love:

Michele in NV-:grumble: drat that Wii

Cheryl- Congrats on that 1/2 year:flowerforyou:

DeeDee-sounds like you are being dedicated to the exercise:drinker:

Linda C- at least it's a loss and not a gain:drinker: I'm sure with your hard work getting under 200 will happen in no time.

Tammy in Va Beach- it's so frustrating when you get volunteered for something and after the fact find out ALL it entails:grumble: Hoping you are able to raise the funds requested.

jb in Portland- you are getting closer to the end of your goal and of course it's going to go much slower....the scale doesn't want you to not come and play it wants you to keep coming back:laugh: I know mine does:wink:

Lucy in Del- $200 for a shingles shot:noway: that's awful. A friend of ours has shingles right now and she said it's really painful...so do you know how or why people get them? I know you are prone to get them if you had chicken pox (which I did @ 16 mo old) so I'm just wondering:huh:

jodi- congrats on that skirt fitting better:flowerforyou: before you know it it will be too big.

Jane in Colorado- we only had about 1/2 - 3/4" of snow this AM and only a trace at my office up by DIA, yep I'd heard that HR and CR got all the snow. But as I'm sure you found out the roads were pretty clear...hoping todays VA appt for your Dad goes smoothly:flowerforyou:

Brooke in Colorado- Congrats on the loss:flowerforyou: It's always fun when you are able to pull out those clothes that are the next goal in this journey.

Mary from Kansas- your story brought a smile to my face as I read it....I'm sure I would have been yelling at the CD player too if it had done that to me:wink: Hoping your drive home after work gets you another segment to your book.

Last night after my workout hubby said he wanted KFC and since it's my favorite treat food I said yes...but if I'd known that's what he wanted I would have done a bit more exercise....lesson here always prepare for the unexpected:ohwell:

I'm noticing that if I eat my exercise calories and then do the complete for the day my goal in 5 weeks is what I want to be so I'm guessing that I will be upping my calories about 50 at a time as I get closer to my goal (about #2 left) then will have to see how much exercise and eating I will do to keep it at that weight...such a process.

Everyone have a great day. Let's keep on working to the goal and log that exercise, log that water and log that food:drinker:

Laura 80111 in Coloraod:smile:
  • determinedinAZ
    determinedinAZ Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    bump for later.............at work!
  • LucyT4dieting
    Options
    Lucy in Del- $200 for a shingles shot:noway: that's awful. A friend of ours has shingles right now and she said it's really painful...so do you know how or why people get them? I know you are prone to get them if you had chicken pox (which I did @ 16 mo old) so I'm just wondering:huh:

Laura - Once you've had chicken pox, the virus stays dormant in your body, and there's always a chance it could come out in the form of shingles. My doctor told me that the older we get, the better the chances that we will get shingles. He said the shot would be a preventative measure. I was shocked to see that my insurance, which is pretty good, does not cover this. Crazy, huh?

Lucy
  • msh0530
    Options
    I had shingles several years ago, even inside my eyelids, and it was very painful. My daughter who is a pharmacist then told me the next year to get the shingles immunization, but at the time, my insurance did not cover it for those under age 65. However, last year, they changed and started covering it. I was going to get it at the county health office then for $75, but discovered that if I got a prescription from my doctor and had it at Walgreen's that it would only be $36, so that is what I did. Have you checked to see how much it would be at the county health office? Sometimes it is cheaper there. I have to tell you that if I had known, I would have paid the $200 not to have shingles! (Actually, having it cost me more than that.) Mary in KS
  • LucyT4dieting
    Options
    I had shingles several years ago, even inside my eyelids, and it was very painful. My daughter who is a pharmacist then told me the next year to get the shingles immunization, but at the time, my insurance did not cover it for those under age 65. However, last year, they changed and started covering it. I was going to get it at the county health office then for $75, but discovered that if I got a prescription from my doctor and had it at Walgreen's that it would only be $36, so that is what I did. Have you checked to see how much it would be at the county health office? Sometimes it is cheaper there. I have to tell you that if I had known, I would have paid the $200 not to have shingles! (Actually, having it cost me more than that.) Mary in KS

Thanks, Mary....I'll check into it.
  • edraper70
    edraper70 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I, too, got a shingles shot. My insurance paid for it as long as I got it from my doctor. I was surprised at the cost otherwise! But my mom has had them twice and my uncle once. They really suffered! So I was prepared to pay for it if I needed to.

I'll be back later. It's time to do correcting and then go home.

Eileen...near San Diego
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi dear friends. Sorry I have been MIA. ***whine alert*** I have been having the “I don’t care” blahs myself, only for about 2 weeks now. I really feel totally out of control with my life right now; I feel like I can’t control my eating or drinking water or exercising because I am so over-extended and frustrated and I get to the point where I just want to give up, and frankly the last 2 weeks have been horrible. I am so busy at work…I can’t get time to go walk to the next building and 2 stories down to get ice water. I know I can freeze a partly full water bottle and take it…but then that requires planning the night before. Right now I just feel like I can’t manage. Any suggestions or kicks in the butt would be really welcome.

OK done whining!

I won’t be able to respond to everyone but I’ll try to get some personal responses in. I think I have 4 pages to read….it’s so nice to know how involved we all are with this board.

Thanks to everyone who has sent me good healthy thoughts. I still have the sniffles, but nothing else…so far!

Wessecg: thanks for the explanation. How scary!! I’m so glad they were ok. Sorry I can’t get the post to work!

Lynn: my two daughters were adopted from Russia at ages 9 and 13. The older one has some real issues and dealing with her (and schools) has been exceptionally frustrating. Sending best wishes to your friends and family.

Lori: glad I could make you laugh. My students also thought it was hilarious (yes I confessed)

Laura: so glad you are near your goal! Good work!

Jane: keep up the excellent work! You are doing great!

Katla; sending good healthy wishes to your DH

Janehadji: omgosh I am so glad you are ok and didn’t havea crash! Take care of yourself!

Suebedew: yay for pants that are too big!

Robin: great pics!

DeeDee: glad you found some nice workout wear. I’m still in baggy shorts

Linda: good job on the weight loss. Every bit helps!!!

Mary: there is something in the air in Omaha that makes my office a black hole. I can lose things while sitting perfectly still at my
    desk. Your story cracked me up

Shingles! Awful! Painful! IF you haven’t had a vaccination, it’s well worth it even if you have to pay full price!

Welcome to all the newbies. Come back often and become an active part of this group.
    To those who are struggling, keep up the fight. To those who have victories….yayayayayay!!! To those who are ill, get well soon! Take care, Meg
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Hi dear friends. Sorry I have been MIA. ***whine alert*** I have been having the “I don’t care” blahs myself, only for about 2 weeks now. I really feel totally out of control with my life right now; I feel like I can’t control my eating or drinking water or exercising because I am so over-extended and frustrated and I get to the point where I just want to give up, and frankly the last 2 weeks have been horrible. I am so busy at work…I can’t get time to go walk to the next building and 2 stories down to get ice water. I know I can freeze a partly full water bottle and take it…but then that requires planning the night before. Right now I just feel like I can’t manage. Any suggestions or kicks in the butt would be really welcome.

OK done whining!

Take a couple of sick days and get some rest!!!! Exhaustion leads to .......more exhaustion AND illness, car accidents, and other BAD stuff. You need to take care of you.

katla in NW Oregon who's been there and done that.
  • c0c0nn0r
    Options
    just checking in ...bump for later

Colleen (IL)
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,102 Member
    Options
    Sorry for those who are not feeling well. Be sure to keep taking your Vitamin F when you can stop by.:flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou:

SHINGLES----indeed I've had several friends who got shingles and it is indeed serious and painful. Do check your insurance, I was able to get the shot at no cost when I reached age 60. Every plan may be different.

Robin - I loved the pictures!! :bigsmile: I had to look at them several times.:heart:

Take care everyone. :love: :love:

Lin in Central Iowa

1482351y1dphi597b.gif
  • nonnicee
    Options
    Checking in before I head off to bed. There is so much info. I love the Vit F and feel welcomed by one and all.

Mary in KS - loved your story, I can totally identify with it.

Meg, I too can be sitting totally still at my desk and lose a paper that I just had in my hand.

I hope everyone has a terrific FRIDAY!!! I will check back in sometime tomorrow.

All the best,
    Mary in TN
  • kittpitt
    kittpitt Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    This sounds so interesting , I have to think about it a bit ! How do I join?
  • msh0530
    Options
    This sounds so interesting , I have to think about it a bit ! How do I join?
    Just jump in and post whenever you get a chance! Let us get to know you, snd by the way, welcome!

My workout tonight was a nearly 2 hour rehearsal playing handbell duets with my daughter. It was actually aerobic - I worked so hard that I worked up a sweat! Fun, though. We are preparing to do a program for the local music club in March.

Mary, the ding a ling from Kansas