WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2013

Options

Replies

• mouth5667
    Options
    Kitt Pitt, you have already joined by posting. Everyone is welcome, even me! :laugh: Just jump in, you will be accepted as is!

Lori H
    Southwestern Missouri
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Just a quick check in to get a dose of Vit. F! I have been reading all of the posts, but haven't had the time or energy to respond. I am fighting a bad sinus infection that just doesn't want to give up.

Robin- Love the pictures! So cute!

Meg- I have been struggling with the blahs lately too. I think for me it is a combination of too much work, sinus trouble, and no sun! May have to invest in a light to alleviate the SAD symptoms. I can't imagine trying to keep up with your schedule!! Hope you feel better fast.

DeeDee- Hang in there with the training. I know I got very sore at first, but loved it because it meant good things were happening with my muscles.

All the talk about shingles has me wondering if I should get the shot. I had a bad experience with the rubella vaccine. For some reason I am unable to build an immunity to rubella. Back in my days as as lab tech, I had to be tested to prove immunity to rubella. Although I had it as a child, I was not immune and had to be vaccinated. I ended up coming down with rubella from the vaccine. I don't know if the shingles vaccine is a live virus or not and if there is any likelihood that I would contract shingles from the shot if it is. I guess I will do some research before making that decision. My MIL had shingles a few years ago and suffered with it terribly.

Lin C- You are going in the right direction!! Glad to hear you are still in the running for the prize.

Wessecg- You must have been so worried when you children had their "adventure"! Very scary! You daughter did a very nice job with the interview.

Congrats to all with NSVs or losses on the scales! Hugs and prayers for those who are struggling.

Goals for February:
    Weights 3 times a week
    Walk/run 4 days a week
    Stretch every day
    Laugh out loud everyday:laugh: :laugh:
    Deb A from CNY
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Had a very very busy week so far. Managed to get a good walk in on Monday, and a shorter "easy" version today. Lots going on at work and home.

:sick: Supposed to have a vacation day tomorrow, but started to feel ill this afternoon. Stomach flu has been going around, and it appears people are freely "sharing" :grumble: :grumble:

Hopefully this long weekend will be calming and healing; although DH birthday - spread over 2 days - is gonna be a bit of a busy time. What's up with February birthdays!!!

@Robin - love the pictures!

ttyl
    Renny - who is looking forward to a very good sleep!!:bigsmile: :bigsmile:
    Vancouver Island.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,953 Member
    Options
    :frown: Today Brandy had her teeth cleaned so she was gone most of the day…..Sasha and Bernie really missed her. When I came home from line dance Jake, Sasha, and Bernie were all in the recliner together watching TV……it was a lot easier walking Sasha by herself but it felt too lonely and quiet to have only one dog…….Brandy is still affected by the anesthesia and the drugs and she’s been sleeping and getting up and coming out like she wants to go out but when Jake takes her she goes a short way, stands looking around, does no business, and then wants to come in.

:flowerforyou: Jake and I got our shingles shots in 2007 the minute we heard about them from our doctor…….my mother had shingles and it was horrible…….I would have paid more than $200.00 each to avoid such a fate……many people pay money like that for a weekend vacation….why not spend it for something with a longer term benefit?????

:flowerforyou: I’ve been going along with the same weight training workout for much too long----today I made some big changes and wonder what muscles will be complaining tomorrow or Saturday.

:bigsmile: Barbie from NW Washington
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Good Evening,

--Right now my work is going crazy. Long hours, short help, It took everything I had not to walk out today and say I am out of here. But of course I didn't ... I just wish there was a balance at my job. I am physically, emotionally exhausted so sorry to be venting.g. We all have long days. I am grateful that I have a job.

@Meg sorry you are feeling yuk /blah.

@Dee I am sure the soreness will go away great that you are stepping up your workouts.

@Robin love your pictures

Welcome to all who is new.

Sorry this is short but I am on my way to bed.

Liz from idaho
  • bjmcq
    bjmcq Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    hope everyone is safe during the big storm tomorrow...bump for later!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    I did 55 min of LaLo Fit (weights DVD) today. I'm planning to go workout on the Stairmaster tomorrow. I haven't done that since I had the problem with my achilles, so I'm going to give it a try. The tendon feels fine, but there is one part on the back of my foot that occasionally I feel a pull on it. I'm still putting the voltaren on it, just not as much and not as often.

Jessica called today. She asked me to make a banana bread, pumpkin bread, and a zucchini bread for the people where she works. Fortunately, I had a pumpkin bread already in the freezer, so I made her a chocolate zucchini bread (since it makes 2 loaves, I'll keep one in my freezer), I'm baking the banana bread right now. It IS good, but not something that I really care a lot for (probably because it's too good). I made some brownies this morning for her and Vince to have. Also made some for us to take to FL (I'll just keep them in the freezer until we go).

Took Vince to the DMV today. He's pretty sure they let him "squeak by" because it seems that his vision is getting worse. He made an appt. with the eye MD and is afraid that catarack surgery is in his future. Well, he's a doomsday person anyway, I'm the optimistic one.

Cheryl - congrats on the 6 month mark!

DeeDee - I very very seldom can find anything to fit me at Target, mostly because they don't have a petite department. Once or twice I found something in the junior's department, but so much of their clothes look so "young" that I can't buy it. Good for you finding things there!

Well, that Wii guy said I lost weight from yesterday, but he's still saying "that's overweight".

LinC - I think I'm doing fairly well upping the protein. It probably could be higher. Generally, I should be having anywhere from 10-20 grams more. Congrats on the loss, as small as it may have been at least it was a loss and not a gain. I'm with you, I don't think I could say "no" to fresh bread, it would be just calling "put some butter on me". I sometimes have a hard time with being extra hungry (or is it more bored) at night. I found that if I had something like air popped popcorn or a bran muffin, something that makes me want to drink a lot, the water fills me up. Lately I'm finding that something high in protein keeps me satisfied for quite a while. Can you maybe have some chicken?

Lucy in DE - if you're looking for ideas of different types of exercise, I'll be glad to help. I need to mix up my exercises. Ok - here goes, some of the things I do -- I walk on the treadmill for a specified amount of time (like 2 minutes) first at 3% incline, then 6%, then 9%, then 12%, then back to 3% and continue for a certain amount of time. I'll do some HIIT on the elliptical -- increase speed for something like 30 seconds, then recover for about a minute. I'll run on the treadmill for a set time (like a minute) then recover for a minute, I do spinning (I get these downloadable workouts at www.cardiocoach.com, take a water aerobics class, do hula hoop on the Wii, jump rope, I'm trying zumba, do a rebounder DVD, a bosu DVD, step DVD, walking DVD,

Lucy in DE - one of the things I like about having a cat versus having a dog is that if the weather is bad, I don't have to take it out for a walk....am I lazy or what?

Brooke from CO - You'll be able to empty that suitcase and use it to go on a vacation (oh, and don't forget to invite me...!lol)

Mary in KS - one time I managed to hit the "repeat" button on my CD player. I didn't know that I had one! I like to listen to TSO and it kept playing over and over this one song that I didn't like all that much. Finally, I figured out why! So you're not the only technically challenged person....lol

Tammy in VA Beach - I absolutely hate it when I volunteer for some position and then find out that more is involved. Like I volunteered to be on the Board of the Y. Little did I know that being on the Board meant that I was only on the Board of Managers, not the Board of Directors and that I was expected to fundraise (NOT something that I wanted to do, had I known that this was expected of me, I would have refused the position) and buy tickets to their fundraiser. So my volunteering was going to cost me $50. I just didn't pay it but was told I could sell the tickets to my friend. No way, hosea! If I don't want to spend $50 on this fundraiser, what makes you think I'd expect my friends to? To me, the only thing I have to do in life is die. So sorry...getting off my soapbox now.

jodios - congrats on that skirt fitting you better! Makes it all worth while, huh?

kittpitt - you joined by posting. Welcome! Come back often

Mary from KS - I know you'll do fantastic with the handbells.

Renny - feel better fast

oh, I made these chocolate chip cookies a while ago. Actually, the one time I made them I told Jessica that there was apple butter in them and she wouldn't eat them. So.....I made them with the apple butter but just told her they were chocolate chip. She thought they were good.....same for Vince. What they don't know......

Hope everyone has a great evening.

Michele in NC
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Michele:smile: Lazy:noway: :noway: :noway: , you do more than anyone I know!!!! Isn`t it funny about Vince and Jessica eating those cookies with apple butter, none the wiser, I love it!

Mary in KS:smile: Thanks for the laugh, sounds like something that would happen to me:laugh: ! Hope you got to hear your book on the way home!

LindaC:smile: Yay! Every little bit helps, even if it stays the same, it`s a success!

Renny:smile: Hope you`re not getting that awful bug!!!! Feel better soon:flowerforyou: !

Liz:smile: Go ahead and vent away here, it`s better to get it out rather than keeping it inside! Hope your day today is much better!

Barbie:smile: I bet it did feel odd to only have one fur baby to walk. I bet Bandy will be ready for a good long walk today! I need to get Noels teeth cleaned too, I just hate they have to put them to sleep to do it!

Yesterday, training day 2, it was COLD, 39 degrees and it was windy, windy, windy, I don`t know what the wind chill factor was,but it was really uncomfortable! Just imagine being sweaty and cold at the same time:frown: . We have our practice behind a Dr. office in beautiful Old Salem, just picture 50 or so of us laying on yoga mats doing push ups, sit ups, squats, planks, resistance bands, after we did a mile and half run through the greenway at Old Salem...what a sight! They have informed us we will practice no matter what the weather does, except maybe in icy conditions, I thought we were lucky the evening group had to practice in the rain last night, seems we will get paid back for that, it`s supposed to rain Monday morning...yuck! I have to say, I`m really enjoying this, even in the cold conditions, my body just feels so much better getting in more than just walking, stretching out the muscles feels really good! Of course I`m sore today, and will feel it even more tomorrow, but it`s a good sore!

Time to get this day started! Hope everyone has a wonderful day! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in NC ( it would be nice if I would remember to do this everytime)
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,109 Member
    Options
    DeeDee you wrote

Yesterday, training day 2, it was COLD, 39 degrees and it was windy, windy, windy, I don`t know what the wind chill factor was,but it was really uncomfortable! Just imagine being sweaty and cold at the same time:frown: . We have our practice behind a Dr. office in beautiful Old Salem, just picture 50 or so of us laying on yoga mats doing push ups, sit ups, squats, planks, resistance bands, after we did a mile and half run through the greenway at Old Salem...what a sight! They have informed us we will practice no matter what the weather does, except maybe in icy conditions, I thought we were lucky the evening group had to practice in the rain last night, seems we will get paid back for that, it`s supposed to rain Monday morning...yuck! I have to say, I`m really enjoying this, even in the cold conditions, my body just feels so much better getting in more than just walking, stretching out the muscles feels really good! Of course I`m sore today, and will feel it even more tomorrow, but it`s a good sore!

Amazing! Good for YOU!! Are you already trying out your new gear from Target? Did you get Champion brand? I have a few things from Target and I like them but LUCKILY the pants I've been wearing are getting kind of baggy which is okay BUT they are now dragging near the ground which puts me in danger of tripping over them so it's time to get a new pair.

Again, way to go girl! Your training sounds amazing.

Hugs to all and drink your water. :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou:
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Lin in Central Iowa (currently missing the big storm)

1482351y1dphi597b.gif
  • nanasorchid52
    Options
    Hi VitF

I am so enjoying reading your posts they are so inspirational.

Trying hard to up my water intake :drinker: Don't know if it has made a difference but really pleased to have lost a pound:smile::smile: Not much time today as I am off for a walk to the beach .

So keep going ladies - I know how lucky I am to be near target - we can ALL do it !! Have a good day:laugh:

Jo :heart:
  • linddavis
    Options
    Hi All,

Went to a funeral yesterday... my son's best friend's Mom, lost to cancer. This has hit me so hard,
    not sure why. I guess maybe I have seen another chunk of my son's childhood lost, he's a Sr. in
    High School. I have a strong faith, oh I'll blame the menopause .

Exercise is my therapy, off to work out! Thanks for allowing me to share. Hope that you are all
    going to enjoy your weekends. :wink:
  • lockmand
    lockmand Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hello to DeeDee in NC,
    I am in NC but so glad that I do not belong to a group that exercises outdoors! Good for you that you are able to do it. I guess it has to do with my 70yr old body, but no cold wind and rain allowed in my exercise classes! LOL...
    I have only been here a couple weeks, but I would like to add my Feb goals.

Be faithful to logging in foods and exercises here
    Pay attention to Calories, and Proteins, Carbs--fats
    Exercise 6 days a week
    Enjoy my colorful meals
    Lose at least 5 lbs this month (1 is already gone!)
    Get the baggy clothes out of the closet

I have read about using the heart rate monitor to program exercise to better suit my goals. I plan to purchase one the end of the
    month. This past month, I purchased a Biggest Loser Food Scale. I should have all the tools I need now. I do belong to a gym that has good equipment and great classes available, so that is a big plus for me, I can stop by on way home from work and not even use extra gas to get to the gym! That is a plus as well since we are both retired here. I do a half day tutor job at my old school, and that is good for spending money as we live on a rather tight budget. We have 4 grown children, and 6 grandchildren (one grandchild is married). Guess I could be a great grandmother in the future. Right now they are both continuing their education, which is a wonderful thing in my proud grandmother eyes!
    Good luck to everyone with their Feb goals!
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I was setting to finisih this for 9 am. But I got a phone call. So that took away from my precious Vit. F time.

Tammy
    Does that mean you went from big kids to little ones.
    Yep everyday is a new day to do what you choose to do with it.

Katla
    I don't know how to start a new thread or i'd start one Called How many good days can you string up this month.

JB
    A couple oz the right way is better than going the wrong way

Lucy
    Looking for new exercise check what they have in U tube.

Jodios
    You feel smaller that's a great accomplishment. Scale is but a number.

Jane
    You will have to go back to Mexico for a back rub.

Brooke
    Good for you. Hope the clothes in the suitcase fit you. Fill it up with the to big clothes and give it away.

Laura
    You will be amoungs the maintainers soon.

Meg
    I agree totaly with Katla Your pushing to hard. Pushing your body to the limit even when you were sick.
    It's telling you I need a break and if you don't take it. It will. As a nurse you already know this.

Mary
    That would be a workout with a difference but sounds like fun.

Barbie
    We do spend money foolishly. Sometimes overlooking the most important part our bodies.

Liz
    Hang in there Liz. Retirement around the corner.

Michele
    You will get it right I'm sure. As for me not so bad I do have a lot of protein on some days to much.
    I just don't know how you bake so much without trying it.

Deedee
    Pushing with the exercise i'm sure you will see some great results.

Well there it is now 20 after nine I overdid my computer time. Oh well. Now it's a little quilting then my wii exercise or downstairs not sure which yet. But something. Then of course always some housework to do.

Wii smiled this morning and it's almost where I was before I slipped and fell. Or should I say got my nose in the home made bread. Had a hard time getting back with it after that. But life happens.

See you all lighter.
  • tammytylerjones
    tammytylerjones Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Not subbing today... but only because I already have a hair appt... the sub list is huge! The nastiness outside has encouraged a lot of teachers to call it a day and not go out! Can't blame them, ha! I don't want to go out either... but there are necessities in life and a visit to the hairdresser is one of them!!! Yes, LinC I did go from big to little. Seems the elementary jobs are easier to come by here than the High Schools. I thought maybe I could just sub in French classes around the city, but I never get called for those... oh well! I've learned so much!

We had a great golf tournament meeting last night. Things are coming together well. I didn't procrastinate this am, got up and sent out the minutes to everyone who couldn't make it... and, you know, gave them the jobs we picked for them since they weren't there! haha.. Just joking. Exermom you cracked me up... yep there really is only one thing we have to do. :smile:

As some of you know I have been frustrated by my body's resistance to "reshape" or "reduce", but yesterday I met with a nutritionist and she has agreed to help me... maybe I'm not eating enough.... I'll let you know how it goes.

A lot of us seem to have the blahs of late. The best part is that we have this forum to come to and feel uplifted and encouraged.
    Thanks everyone.
    Have a great day!
  • allisonlane61
    allisonlane61 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies! Happy Friday!

I read all of the posts, but I usually do it multitasking at work, so I really can't cut and paste into a word document my responses. Saturday morning while doing laundry and drinking tea, I'm going to sit back and enjoy responding here where I can fully participate.

I went on this "treat myself" kick this past week or two. Facial, massage, skin care products, new outfit from clothes to shoes to handbag (had a rare date and wanted to feel good), but yesterday was a coups de foudre: I went to a hair salon that the "other half" (other 1%? lol) goes to. I CAN'T BELIEVE MY HAIR. I never would've thought there could be such a drastic difference in hair stylists.

So today, I'm feeling mighty fine about myself. I'm at my lowest weight in I don't even remember, my clothes look good (and I look in the mirror and think, "How can I weigh this much and still look this good. Am I deceiving myself?") My hair looks GREAT, my skin's soft and I think less wrinkly, and my shoulder and upper back knots are not nearly as bad as they were even just four days ago.

I'm at work and I'm just going to keep these good feelings going, until, of course, I get up tomorrow and have to do laundry, assemble a bathroom closet/shelf-type thing with what looks like 400 pieces and one little wrench, vacuum, dust, change sheets...but at least my hair will look good.

I would encourage everyone to take a few minutes in some small way to pamper yourself, even if it's only to exfoliate your face and put a nice moisturizer on it. Took me a long time to recognize for you and your loved ones' sakes, you have to put yourself first at times.

Jackie in Cherry Hill outside of Philly
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Good morning & TGIF to all,

First of all, thanks to everyone who gave me advice on the Shingles Vaccine. I'm going to investigate my options and figure out a way to get it. My regular exercise routine is to walk on the Treadmill every other day for 30 minutes (a little over 2 miles), but I want to try something different. I have a few DVD's that I've purchased over the years, and thought I'd do one this morning, but DH never hooked up the DVD player in the basement, so I just tried some circuit training on my own using 5 pound weights. I didn't want to overdo, so I started with 15 minutes. I found out this doesn't burn nearly as many calories as the Treadmill, but I want to get stronger as well as burn calories, so I am going to try and do this on the days I don't walk on the Treadmill. Can't wait to see how sore I will be tomorrow.

:mad: Renny - One of life's little ironies is getting sick on a vacation day!

:grumble: Liz - I totally understand how you're feeling. We all have those days at work....some more than others!

:noway: Michele - Are you kidding? Lazy?? Sometimes I get tired just reading what you do in a day! Thanks for the exercise suggestions. Since I have NO upper body strength and suffer from neck/shoulder pain, I want to try some strength exercises.
    And I hear you about the cats. It is POURING out this morning, but fortunately, DH walked the dog!

:drinker: DeeDee - Are you in a class? What kind of training program is it? It sounds like you'll get a lot out of it. Maybe I should look into going somewhere where there is an instructor. I'm probably doing everything wrong.

:heart: Jackie - I am so jealous!!! It IS important that we take of ourselves. Body, mind and spirit are all important to our well-being.

:flowerforyou: Welcome to all the newcomers. Just jump right in and get your daily dose of Vitamin F.

Have a wonderful weekend, and stay dry!

Hugs,
    Lucy in Delaware:bigsmile:
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    TGI Friday:flowerforyou:

No time to read, just marking my spot to get back later:bigsmile:

Have a great day All.....keep up the great job of logging, logging, logging:drinker:

Laura 80111 in Colorado:smile:
  • cris025
    Options
    I was looking though the blogs and just found this. I would love to join but not sure how, I'm still sorta new to MFP. I saw a post on Baby Steps that's just were I'm at now. I've been on this journey so many times but I'm REALLY wanting this to be the year I get close. Thanks for listening. Cris
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Weigh-in day, I fully expected to see a loss, but 'tis a fool who takes Friday for granted. No matter, I will not let it get me down, for at least I did not gain, and it's by far the most fabulous day of the week! We can frolic in the knowledge that after today there will be two full days fiddling around with fun stuff. I'm so ready to do some of that fine fiddling.

I've had a good week, accomplishing a mini-goal by getting to the track twice, and I might even go again this morning if I hurry up and finish this post. Just looked at the clock.

Good day to everyone, happy Friday, let's make it a great one!

:smile: jb in foggy Oregon
  • mouth5667
    Options
    Hi ladies! Wanted to share a recipe with you that I tried this week. It is different from anything that I had tried in the past and I really liked it and even more surprising was the fact that my husband liked it! This is the original recipe:

Ingredients
    2 c farro – cooked
    1 c tomato – diced
    1 c cucumber – seeded and diced (I used an english cucumber so I didn't have to seed it)
    5 jumbo kalamata olives – pits removed, minced
    1 oz feta – crumbled
    ¼ c scallions – diced
    3 tbs fresh dill – minced
    Zest and juice of one lemon

Instructions
    Prepare farro according to package directions and set aside to cool.
    In a medium bowl, mix together all ingredients. Add salt and pepper to taste although I didn’t need any salt due to the olives and cheese.

I went to a local health food store to find out about the farro. It is a grain, like wheat berries or spelt. They had several varieties in bulk and I settled on the spelt because it was cheaper. You soak it over night, cook it in water with a little salt, and then stick it in the fridge until you are ready to use it.

I tweaked the recipe some by adding bell peppers (about 1 cup), used 15 olives, 2 ounces of feta, and 1 tablespoon dried dill weed (it’s not the season for fresh). I put everything in Create a New Recipe and came up with 242 calories per serving. That was by figuring it was 4 large servings. I kind of used it as a main dish.

For those of you who are participating in the fruit and vegetable challenge, this might be a good option for you.

Hope everyone has a great Friday!

Lori H
    In currently Sunny Southwestern Missouri