Online dating

Options

Replies

• BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Apparently, we're looking for the same guy...haha! I have the same dealbreakers and definitely stay away from the "skinny" category guys for the same reason. I'm also quite surprsed how hard it is to find a guy that fits this description. The men who have contacted me recently have all been old enough to be my father...no thanks!

Thank you! I feel more normal now. I thought I was all alone in my quest for what seems to be the holy grail. Giggle.

And, yes, I forgot about the 50+ crowd. It's no offense to those gentleman - I certainly wish them luck - but my limit is up to 10 years older than me.

Whats shakin babycakes.....im right in your age group!!!!!! Are you attracted to tall tanned latino men?!?!?!

Only if you share your wine!

Ahhhh How did yo know I like wine!? when my name is BEER runner. VERY NICE!!! Are you a white or red wine type of woman????:drinker:
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I met my girlfriend of about 5 months now on match.com. I had signed up on there and on eharmony (which was crap) after my divorce.

Yes, it is depressing. Yes, you (as a man) have to send lots of emails. Yes, you will have a low response rate. And yes, you will find people of both sexes on there who are just playing the game. I didn't run into too many total weirdos, although the lady with dog **** on her bed was pretty bad. I met some nice ladies, and I'm still friends with a few of them, even if we knew after a date or two it wasn't going to work between us. You just have to keep trying, and eventually you will find someone you do click with, and it will all have been worthwhile! Took me maybe 8 months til I found the one I'm with now.

Have a good profile - if possible, have a female friend you trust look it over for you. Be honest! Have good pictures that show you, as you are now. Full body (clothed, obviously, unless we are talking adultfriendfinder); and close-up of your face; even doing something you enjoy. And then just get out there and have fun. I looked at it as a way to meet new people I wouldn't normally come across, and finding someone special was a bonus.

Good luck!
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty open to most types, but there are some things that are immediately a turn off including, someone who smokes regularly (been there, done that), someone who does not have a job, someone who does not like animals, someone who can't type a coherent sentence, someone who wants a housewife and someone who does not want children. From a physical perspective, I'd have a hard time dating someone my height or shorter (i'm 5'5) and I prefer a guy who isn't skinnier than I am. If I can take you in a wrestling match, we are probably not a match.

The other big turnoff is the guy who will only date in the "skinny" category or otherwise comes across as superficial. If I see that, I usually run in the other direction because, to me, it implies that all they care about is looks and I don't want that kind of pressure (been there too and its awful).

A very nice to have is an interest in traveling and a non-picky eater.

I wouldn't think this is a tough list, but it's hard to find!

Wow, agree! You seem so reasonable.
    I'm not the most photogenic person. I know I'm getting blown off by guys who might be interested if they saw the full package in person. That's unfortunate.

I find that hard to believe :flowerforyou:
  • carmenni
    Options
    Never done it. A bit scary, lol.
  • BlackStarDeceiver
    BlackStarDeceiver Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Worst case scenario you end up a skin suit.
  • gioisa75
    gioisa75 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I met my girlfriend of about 5 months now on match.com. I had signed up on there and on eharmony (which was crap) after my divorce.

Yes, it is depressing. Yes, you (as a man) have to send lots of emails. Yes, you will have a low response rate. And yes, you will find people of both sexes on there who are just playing the game. I didn't run into too many total weirdos, although the lady with dog **** on her bed was pretty bad. I met some nice ladies, and I'm still friends with a few of them, even if we knew after a date or two it wasn't going to work between us. You just have to keep trying, and eventually you will find someone you do click with, and it will all have been worthwhile! Took me maybe 8 months til I found the one I'm with now.

Have a good profile - if possible, have a female friend you trust look it over for you. Be honest! Have good pictures that show you, as you are now. Full body (clothed, obviously, unless we are talking adultfriendfinder); and close-up of your face; even doing something you enjoy. And then just get out there and have fun. I looked at it as a way to meet new people I wouldn't normally come across, and finding someone special was a bonus.

Good luck!

The funny part is that I did ehormony and I actually got dates. Met a few good people on the site and one of them I have remained friends with.
  • MM_1982
    MM_1982 Posts: 374
    Options
    Everything you need to know about online dating is written in this article. A little long, but you'll thank me later.

http://jonmillward.com/blog/attraction-dating/cupid-on-trial-a-4-month-online-dating-experiment/
  • 52in13
    52in13 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Best decision that I ever made was joining match.com. I met my husband four years ago next weekend on match.com. But, yes, he had to do all the leg work and reach out to me.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    try this one:

www.myfitnesspal.com
  • wildfirediva
    Options
    I think online dating is best for young, pretty women. Men, unless they're insanely good-looking, have to work hard because men outnumber women and because 90% of the guys are going after the same 10% of the girls. You've got to have some serious game to get her attention for longer than it takes her to hit delete...or you've got to dial back your expectations a bit and take a chance on a girl that's maybe not getting a hundred offers a day.

AMEN to this!!
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Crafty is on to something here...

Online dating is scary and I refuse to do it ever again. If my current relationship fails, I'll be resorted to recycling old boyfriends that I ran off. Should be fun.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I've been with my man almost 2 years and things are great!

My roommate met her man on the same site it's been 8 months

Another friend is married and met his gf online as well

those were all pof.com

Another friend of mine I worked with met her husband on eharmony.ca

Time and patience!
  • thenewkayla08
    thenewkayla08 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My husband and I met online and we have been together for 5 years and married for 1 :)

But yes he had to send the first message and we met a week or 2 later and hit it off from the start.
    People give a lot of crap about meeting people online but it worked for me and has for countless others!

plentyoffish.com is where we met!

Good luck :)
  • smilesalot1969
    Options
    yes!! i almost gave up but i met my boyfriend online. I was on two different sites id had more than a few 'oh no' dates but then i met my boyfriend. We initially decided just to be friends because of the bit of a distance but that didnt last long. We've been together 7 months now and very happy. Dont give up!!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I met on a Fetish website (fetlife). :bigsmile: It must have been fate because I talked to many people that I never met, never even went to a group meeting or party locally but he and I started texting after the first message and not a single day has gone by since then that we haven't spoken to each other.

He moved an hour south, transferred his job and college credits and we have been together for a year and a half. :heart:
  • jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    Everything you need to know about online dating is written in this article. A little long, but you'll thank me later.

http://jonmillward.com/blog/attraction-dating/cupid-on-trial-a-4-month-online-dating-experiment/

Very interesting! Thanks.
  • threesixten
    threesixten Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I met my .. ex.. husband on OKCupid. All the people there whom I met offline seemed normal, interesting people. Strange, I know! I have now since learned OKCupid is a great site for casual hookups with slutty girls. Oooops?

Can't really knock online dating. But I met my now boyfriend at work and have to say the foundation of our relationship is much stronger because of it.
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I met my husband online, when yahoo personals were free. We've been together almost 13 years and are celebrating our 10th anniversary in April :)
  • Wolfe1759
    Wolfe1759 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I met my partner (the Nerd) via online dating (lavalife.com), and we're coming up on 11 years together in the spring. It takes time to connect with someone, and in all of that I find that communication is key. I had several men reach out to me when I posted my ad, but I only responded to those who had a well-written (i.e. coherent) profile. The ones I kept talking to were the ones who could keep communicating well in emails and online chat sessions.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    I find that the free site MeetMe has provided the best to date...it isn't just a dating forum, more a social one. But I don't like sending out messages, and I did get bombarded. So you do have to sort of stand out. Usually the guys who could talk to me about the same bands I like etc...I did respond to everyone except the ones who started off with a creepy message. I did meet my bf there and the other guys I dated before him. I only recently deleted my account because I had two guys tell me daily they loved me...um..they never met me or even really had a conversation with me...thats creepy.

But hey..good luck. I thought it was fun to talk to different people...I thought the sites like Match.com weren't worth it...but that is me.

:flowerforyou: