Bodybuilder or Powerlifter

Options

Replies

• BigRedgw2010
    BigRedgw2010 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    <--Bodybuilder and don't kid your self we lift heavy. If you don't believe me then look at the blood vessels that busted in my eye after a leg day. BBers do add a lot more isolation exercises but I love the massive pump that it gives!

Good point! We do go heavy, but we do more than just one to 3 reps. And we don't make all that noise in the gym either. LOL
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Team Power lifting! Function>form. Although reading about Spezzy and her "form" a couple years ago was what first perked my interest in PL. For me body building is like putting a spoiler and racing stripes on a factory neon. I guess it's supposed to make it look faster, but wouldn't it be a smarter use of time/effort/money to do whatever car people do on the inside to make it faster? I'm just hopelessly practical.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    <--Bodybuilder and don't kid your self we lift heavy. If you don't believe me then look at the blood vessels that busted in my eye after a leg day. BBers do add a lot more isolation exercises but I love the massive pump that it gives!

Good point! We do go heavy, but we do more than just one to 3 reps. And we don't make all that noise in the gym either. LOL

HRRRRGGGG!
    ARGGHHH!
    FKUC!
    OH YEAHHH!
    THAT WAS ME!
    I DID THAT!
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    If I grunt in the gym, does that make me a powerlifter? :laugh:
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I must be more bodybuilder than powerlifter. I can already lift way more than I could when I started, and I can't really see myself ever in a situation where I would "need" to lift more. I just like the way I look and feel and want to look and feel even better!
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options

BB who is guilty of grunting...:embarassed:
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Also....

A bodybuilder is a weightlifter who is too weak to be a powerlifter.
    A powerlifter is a weightlifter who is too fat to be a bodybuilder.

:bigsmile:

"A bodybuilders primary concern is to contract his muscles against greater amounts of resistance ... the weight is not important to me." Kai Greene
  • whiskeysister510
    whiskeysister510 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I’ve been thinking there should be some kind of personality test for new lifters to "find their identity" so they can train accordingly from day one! If there was such a test, my results would probably be split personality disorder! I’m a powerlifter in that I train like one and care more about strength than developing specific muscles. I usually only use two terms to describe my back—there’s upper back and there’s lower back—where most bodybuilders would be able to rattle off the names of like 20 muscles that make up the back. But I’m a bodybuilder when it comes to my goals for appearance—I won’t sacrifice aesthetics for strength. Luckily, I doubt this will ever be an issue! Outside of maybe competing in some local events, I don’t aspire to do anything other than just be strong and healthy. And, yeah, look good naked. :smile:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I lift - but I don't really see these as the only choices. I want to be a fit, fast bad-*kitten*.

Or a cyborg. A bad-*kitten* cyborg.

cyborg-660x759.jpg
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I'd also like to add that I want to be a reasonable-looking powerlifter, not one of the guys that acts proud of his 315+ bench, yet weighs 340. I'm talking like 4.0 and above ratio for Big 3, or 300+ on the Wilks scale.

http://wilkscalculator.com/lbs

My wilks is 322, I feel cool now! :bigsmile:

You are totally cool.

My wilks is 242... this gives me something to work towards!
  • Jonesie1984
    Options
    Team Power lifting! Function>form. Although reading about Spezzy and her "form" a couple years ago was what first perked my interest in PL. For me body building is like putting a spoiler and racing stripes on a factory neon. I guess it's supposed to make it look faster, but wouldn't it be a smarter use of time/effort/money to do whatever car people do on the inside to make it faster? I'm just hopelessly practical.

It's not that BB don't lift heavy.. it's just relativity.. you decide the balance you would like neither are bad.

One can lift greater weight for less reps, one a lesser rep for more. For me there's beauty in symmetry.
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

this is way off. Most elite bodybuilders have numbers that aren't too bad on an elite powerlifting scale. Certainly they wont win a meet, but I don't know a single top bodybuilder that can't bench 465, deadlift 800, and squat 600+. Or close to it at the very least. You don't get huge and ripped without also progressing in strength, period. You don't need to be lifting for maximal 1-3 rep strength to make strength gains. When a bodybuilder uses high reps, he is still progressively increasing overload. Heck, even some of the top powerlifting programs are based on sub-maximal strength gains.

It is simply a different goal. Competing for a certain look versus competing for a number on a scorecard.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Also....

In which case, I'm currently a powerlifter. :tongue:
  • BigRedgw2010
    Options
    Well if you're doing all of those noises, then IMO you're not supplying enough oxgen to your muscle. And you need this to fatigue the muscle so it will repair itself to grow and to get stronger. Just my two cents!
  • Jonesie1984
    Options
    Well if you're doing all of those noises, then IMO you're not supplying enough oxgen to your muscle. And you need this to fatigue the muscle so it will repair itself to grow and to get stronger. Just my two cents!

That last set though?! Grunts all day ahha
    ...Otherwise I would be pushing for another
  • mryak750
    mryak750 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I would love to be strong and have some sort of muscle physic as well....I like compound movements over iso...I have been lookoing into the Lean Hybrid Muscle Program...anyone heard of hit? or know of anyone who has had good results...They try to make you pay for the program but i got the pdf free of charge
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options

Depends. If you were grunting from men's locker room then nah you wouldn't be a powerlifter. :laugh:
  • BigRedgw2010
    Options

Depends. If you were grunting from men's locker room then nah you wouldn't be a powerlifter. :laugh:

LMAO
  • BigRedgw2010
    Options

That last set though?! Grunts all day ahha
    ...Otherwise I would be pushing for another

Well do another one and another one and another one. Wear the muscle out, but don't cry and scream about it. :-)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Also....

Ouch brother, ouch.

Although I can an do perform the PL lifts they aren't my focus. The main difference seems that I do higher reps per set and more exercises per bodypart.

Oh, and I don't call anything a vanity or assist lift.