Gee...I wonder why women have body issues...

Options

Replies

• MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Those are very slight photo-shopped corrections. They are just turning a 9.5 into a 10. NBD.

Agreed for some of it. They are very beautiful women who only look a little more polished when they're photoshopped. However, if even what we consider to be the most beautiful women are having bags under their eyes removed, a tiny trace of a stomach roll (simply because she's hunched over), and any natural blemishes removed, it really shows that the average person can't attain it. So we try for magazine perfection that no one, not even the girl in the photo can get, and then are depressed and feel bad about our own bodies when we can't get there.

I think blaming magazines is a cop out. Especially now when so many before photoshop pictures are being released.

If someone feels bad about themselves, their first step is to stop blaming other people and the media for it. Then focus on themselves and better themselves for themselves. See what I'm saying? Not for anyone else.
    Being truly confident doesn't mean you're in the best shape ever, it means NOT comparing yourself and accepting yourself, flaws and all

That's fine and true for adults, or should be even if it isn't, but those magazines sell very well to children. And body image issues tend to start in childhood.

But what can you do? Our societies are obsessed with appearance and to some extent so is our species. It's sad but it's a war against both biology and a whole lot of money made by a collection of industries that has gotten rich convincing us we aren't good enough.

Also, they make money telling us we stink.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    What strikes me as funny is that this is AFTER hours of hair and makeup, with a professional photographer and perfect lighting. And the photos STILL need that much editing.

I think it would seriously bum me out if I were a celebrity and they felt the need to take out everything that makes me an individual.
  • lublue
    lublue Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Those are very slight photo-shopped corrections. They are just turning a 9.5 into a 10. NBD.

Less of the numbers! :/
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Parents. Teach your kids about healthy self esteem and body image.
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I hate that they made everyone's arms into sticks..:laugh:
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Seeing the boobs get bigger and smaller reminded me of an episode of Mrs Browns Boys where kathy, the daughter bought an expanding bra :laugh:
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    While the ones where they litterally shaved pounds off of people (ie Kelly Clarkson and Brittney Spears)... All the other ones were not much different than if they put a pound of make up on their faces or using different lighting techniques... photoshop is just but one tool in a photographers arsinal... I have quite a few friends that are photographers (albeit not celebrity ones) and they use photoshop ALL the time... to make already gorgeous eyes pop more.

Heck, if women body builders could use photoshop to look better in their competitions they would... I just don't think it's that big of a deal to be honest. But then I'm not looking to look like a celebrity.
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options

:heart:
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Agreed for some of it. They are very beautiful women who only look a little more polished when they're photoshopped. However, if even what we consider to be the most beautiful women are having bags under their eyes removed, a tiny trace of a stomach roll (simply because she's hunched over), and any natural blemishes removed, it really shows that the average person can't attain it. So we try for magazine perfection that no one, not even the girl in the photo can get, and then are depressed and feel bad about our own bodies when we can't get there.

I think blaming magazines is a cop out. Especially now when so many before photoshop pictures are being released.

If someone feels bad about themselves, their first step is to stop blaming other people and the media for it. Then focus on themselves and better themselves for themselves. See what I'm saying? Not for anyone else.
    Being truly confident doesn't mean you're in the best shape ever, it means NOT comparing yourself and accepting yourself, flaws and all

Absolutely this and what Gonzo said.

OP, there have been posts I have been flat out ripped over the coals for pointing out, "Why base one's looks or self-perception on anything external?" when women have been, "Do you really think so and so is a size 0?" or "Which celebrity do you wish you could look like?"

Celebrities and the media are nearly everywhere, so obviously they're going to be ones people look to, but look at any Success Story on here. Yes, women want to know what someone else did because they want to achieve success for themselves, but often it's a, "I would kill to look like you!" or "I want your body!" or anything else in that vein. The issue isn't the media or photoshop. The issue is a lack of self-esteem.
  • Vain_Witch
    Vain_Witch Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    If I want to see average girls, I'll just go outside and look around. I think magazine covers are a nice escape from reality where you can see perfection.

It also gives everyone something to shoot for. When I real Men's Health and see the guys with the perfect abs, it gives me something to strive for. I use it as motivation more than anything else.

I think the point is that the girls on the magazine are not "perfection" they are "impossible" - if they happened in the real world, then no alterations, or enhancements would be needed. I don't know if abs or musculature are doctored for Men's Health or not, so i don['t know to what degree men are subjected to the same photo manipulaiton

Well said!!
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    This.
    A picture in a magazine just shouldn't matter.
  • danibu98
    danibu98 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Holy crap, Madonna is quite haggard looking

She's 54! I couldn't even ever imagine looking that good at 54!
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Not gonna lie, I spent like ten minutes watching Katy Perry's boobs grow and shrink.

Glad I wasn't the only one!

Katy_Perry_Elmo.gif

M.F.P. Hottest Person/M.F.P. Most awesome person
    Ice cream afficionado
    "Winning" Certified Instructor
    Been in gifs for 2 years and have studied custom gif creation
    jac-mr-mfp-o.gif
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options

Yes! Stop letting the media raise your children.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    It shouldn't create body image issues for grown a$$ed women who realize, it's a lot of photoshopping. Personally I judge myself to my own standards and my own standards alone.
    Any body image issues I may have, have nothing to do with any woman I've seen in the media or on a magazine.

It only concerns me the body image issues that it creates in very young women/teens. That scares the crap out of me.
    However, I truly think great parenting should solve that.

The more young women are taught that strong and fit is great, that their minds and hearts are much more important than the aesthetics in the long run.. the better.
    It would be lovely if we were all fit with gorgeous faces. But we aren't all alike.

Very young women and teens with body image issues grow into "grown a$$ed women" with body image issues. You don't just check your baggage at the doors of adulthood.

And I think the point is young women AREN'T taught that strong and fit are great. They are taught that if they don't look like those after pictures there's something wrong with them. They aren't always taught this by their parents--even truly great parents can't keep their kids from being inundated by these images. Even truly great parents, when putting this information into context, will be ignored or dismissed by the kid listening to it (cuz, hi -- teenagers).

It doesn't have to be a smack down of the magazines for publishing these photos, but seeing and understanding that there ARE before after pictures and that they can be this dramatic, is an important step to overcoming the idea that you must live up to those ideals.
  • avasano
    avasano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Why can't we just use the real photos?
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    If I want to see average girls, I'll just go outside and look around. I think magazine covers are a nice escape from reality where you can see perfection.

It also gives everyone something to shoot for. When I real Men's Health and see the guys with the perfect abs, it gives me something to strive for. I use it as motivation more than anything else.

You must not have a daughter. Young girls and young women are bombarded by this all the time. Personally, I never cared. But I have daughters, and I don't want them thinking this stuff is real, and that there is something wrong if they don't look that way.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    What strikes me as funny is that this is AFTER hours of hair and makeup, with a professional photographer and perfect lighting. And the photos STILL need that much editing.

I think it would seriously bum me out if I were a celebrity and they felt the need to take out everything that makes me an individual.

Yeah, when they altered the hair flipping in one of the Britney Spears' Candi shots, I was thinking, "Er, why not take another shot but fix her hair?" Of course, they might have noticed after the fact...

That being said, the whole "stripping of individuality" is why I think photoshopping has become so obvious that it's bizarre if anyone still views them as "real." We know the freckles, moles, scars, etc. that these celebrities have; those aren't covered up in the 10x more paparazzi shots that exist of them, those are apparent in the movies or concerts we seem them in, etc. When those individualistic things get obliterated, it's kind of a, "Who does anybody think they're kidding here?"
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Not gonna lie, I spent like ten minutes watching Katy Perry's boobs grow and shrink.

Glad I wasn't the only one!

Katy_Perry_Elmo.gif

M.F.P. Hottest Person/M.F.P. Most awesome person
    Ice cream afficionado
    "Winning" Certified Instructor
    Been in gifs for 2 years and have studied custom gif creation
    jac-mr-mfp-o.gif

I approve of this gif.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    It isn't just girls affected either. There was a study where boys were given photos of girls to rate on appearance. Then they were shown magazines like these and asked to rate a similar set of girls. Guess what? They rated the girls lower the second time.