No Homo?

Options

Replies

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    This may have been said..I didn't read all 16 pages (I'm lazy).. but. . here goes.

I'm straight. I'm happy that I'm straight. . I don't want to be gay and Idon't want to be perceived as gay. This has no bearing whatsoever on my attitude toward people who are gay. Go be gay! What do I care?. . I'm busy being straight. .

I think what has changed in our society is that homosexuality has become MUCH more accepted and out in the open than ever. It's something that people (straigt and gay ) think about regularly. . so because of this the old traditional close-knit male freindships of the past are now strained. Admit it . . you see two guys sitting in a booth at a restaurant. it crosses your mind. .In my dad's day.. it wouldn't have.

The "no homo' thing isn't necessarily anti-gay. . it's just that guys are now afraid to compliment each other for fear of our compliment being mistaken for a come-on. .

The irony is that it's society's acceptance of gays that has created this vexing and "offensive" statement. .

Oh. . and OP. . lighten up. .

Good post and spot on!
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    The "no homo' thing isn't necessarily anti-gay. . it's just that guys are now afraid to compliment each other for fear of our compliment being mistaken for a come-on. .

It's a cultural thing. In the middle east, men dance together openly. No one needs to say 'no homo' because no one assumes it is homosexual behavior.

If I compliment a man, I'm certainly not going to clarify that I'm not homosexual or 'don't mean it in a homosexual way' because no rational person should conclude that I'm gay simply because I said something nice.

I reject the attitude that American culture is so messed up that I have to wave my arms and call attention to my sexuality for simply being nice. Therefore I reject the concept of 'no homo'.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Oh, women do it too. "I think you are so pretty #girlcrush"

I hate the term girlcrush, it's silly female speak for "but I'm not a lesbian"

YAWN
  • bmiller211
    bmiller211 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    why is everyone so obsessed with the gay thing? I always hear they just want to be accepted as equals yet they are constantly throwing s**t like this in everyones faces...everyone gets offended sometimes but most don't constantly have to complain about it...grow up and get some balls and let it run off you!! I am fat have been have been ridiculed for it!!! should I get on here and start a thread about it!!??:explode: :grumble:

I think it's fair to elevate an issue about an inequality where even in present time you can be executed in other countries for even being perceived as gay. Even in the US, some states still had laws on the books making homosexual relations illegal in the past ten years. Can you say the same about anything you're referencing? Can you now understand why it's a different issue and does need to be recognized, not throwing it in your face?

Come on now, this was a really good point. No takers?

My problem is when you said "not throwing it in your face" I almost spit my coffee everywhere. Here is my take and we have interacted for a long time. My religious beliefs growing up have taught me homesexuality is wrong. As I have grown and worked with, been around and become friends with homosexuals I have found that...OMG, they are people too. I am not saying that people do not have the right to believe that gays are going to Hell as they have that right. I choose to believe that the God I pray too is a tolerant God and that something is lost in the translation.

I also believe those that say no homo have a reason and it goes back to something they feel insecure about whether it is to impress the ladies with testosterone or due to religion of whatever else. Honestly, I hate the politcal correct world we have become but hey, that is my opinion and although I am 100% heterosexual I love my gay friends as I do the straight ones.

So, did you get the Dinosour for your shower? I mean that thing had a big bone!
    again have to be offended by my choice of words...throwing it in my face is a figure of speech. I can use it if I want without everyone telling me it is wrong. I could have said "telling me about it" but I didn't and someone still would have been offended cause I disagreed with what they feel. that is what this whole tread boils down to. I am not allowed to disagree with what the poster and his cronies say...and yes I know your response will be that I can disagree but you are just trying to get me to see your point of view...again I an not allowed to disagree!!!

Actually, I was trying to be polite. I wasn't offended by "throwing it in your face". Ironically, it's appearing more like the over-sensitive one is not me.
    really then when I read that you spit your coffee I misinterpreted that as being offended...I guess I apologize.
  • JeremyInvincible
    JeremyInvincible Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    As a straight guy, I agree with the OP.

Uhm...a tiny bit homo...I guess....
  • jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    In summary can someone state they aren't homosexual without implying its bad to be homosexual?

You can call yourself a "breeder". Then it's OK.

Been called that a number of times by my gay friends. No problem. Proud "breeder" here. :wink:
  • Smiler106
    Smiler106 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    "No homo" is horribly offensive. Personally I won't associate with anybody would have such a homophobic attitude as to be compelled to use this phrase. I will not tolerate homophobia, transphobia, racism, sexism, ageism, disabilism, or any other ism or obia.

It's very disappointing to me that the moderators of this forum will allow "no homo" comments to go unchecked.
  • SeaRunner26
    SeaRunner26 Posts: 5,143 Member
    Options
    why is everyone so obsessed with the gay thing? I always hear they just want to be accepted as equals yet they are constantly throwing s**t like this in everyones faces...everyone gets offended sometimes but most don't constantly have to complain about it...grow up and get some balls and let it run off you!! I am fat have been have been ridiculed for it!!! should I get on here and start a thread about it!!??:explode: :grumble:

I think it's fair to elevate an issue about an inequality where even in present time you can be executed in other countries for even being perceived as gay. Even in the US, some states still had laws on the books making homosexual relations illegal in the past ten years. Can you say the same about anything you're referencing? Can you now understand why it's a different issue and does need to be recognized, not throwing it in your face?

Come on now, this was a really good point. No takers?

My problem is when you said "not throwing it in your face" I almost spit my coffee everywhere. Here is my take and we have interacted for a long time. My religious beliefs growing up have taught me homesexuality is wrong. As I have grown and worked with, been around and become friends with homosexuals I have found that...OMG, they are people too. I am not saying that people do not have the right to believe that gays are going to Hell as they have that right. I choose to believe that the God I pray too is a tolerant God and that something is lost in the translation.

I also believe those that say no homo have a reason and it goes back to something they feel insecure about whether it is to impress the ladies with testosterone or due to religion of whatever else. Honestly, I hate the politcal correct world we have become but hey, that is my opinion and although I am 100% heterosexual I love my gay friends as I do the straight ones.

So, did you get the Dinosour for your shower? I mean that thing had a big bone!
    again have to be offended by my choice of words...throwing it in my face is a figure of speech. I can use it if I want without everyone telling me it is wrong. I could have said "telling me about it" but I didn't and someone still would have been offended cause I disagreed with what they feel. that is what this whole tread boils down to. I am not allowed to disagree with what the poster and his cronies say...and yes I know your response will be that I can disagree but you are just trying to get me to see your point of view...again I an not allowed to disagree!!!

Actually, I was trying to be polite. I wasn't offended by "throwing it in your face". Ironically, it's appearing more like the over-sensitive one is not me.
    really then when I read that you spit your coffee I misinterpreted that as being offended...I guess I apologize.

You need to go back an reread the posts. I wasn't the one who wrote "spit my coffee". That was a friend of mine who mistook my comment as a joke.
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    I am pleased any time anyone complements me.
  • jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    I think the term "gay" has spun off in a whole new direction too. As in, "that's so gay". I admit, I say it sometimes. And I don't mean anything remotely derogatory against homosexuals, or has anything to do with them whatsoever. Although if I knew someone was offended by it I'd try to not use it in their presence. My friends know my heart and how I mean things, so it's no problem to joke around. Like black people calling each other "niggah"... the term itself is harmless, it's knowing someone's intent who uses it.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    How about one chooses not to be offended.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    insecurity and it does bother me every time i see it on youtube.
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I love words and phrases and their etymology. :)
  • justmyalias
    justmyalias Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Are the majority of guys on this site so insecure with their sexuality that if they compliment another guy, they have to end the comment with "no homo"? As a gay guy, I find this kind of insulting. As if being gay is something I should be ashamed of and requires a disclaimer. Yes homo.

just be sure to add the disclaimer when you compliment a woman
    "no hetero"
    lol
    could you just see it??
  • imfivebyfive
    Options
    The term has actually been around since the early 1990's...

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/no-homo

If someone uses that term and it really offends you why not just chalk it up to them being an *kitten* and move on?

Is their opinion really going to stop making you be who you are?

Your sexuality is nobody's business but your own. Who cares what other people think.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I think it's just because, at least in this era, men sort of get uncomfortable around gays (or at least that's what I've noticed). So just to clarify, they say "no homo" to make the other one know that they aren't homosexual. Meh, personally when people say something like "I love you no homo" to me, I say "I love you too lots of homo" back even though I'm straight.

But why is it necessary? Isn't is assumed that most men are straight? I don't know the exact figures, but I think the general estimate is that only about 5% of men are gay.

Correct. If it is assumed most are straight, they are prefacing their compliment by letting the person know that they are not homosexual. Probably to prevent a backlash in case the person they are complimenting thinks they are hitting on them. Im sure women have the same problem??

So what is your REAL problem? Is your problem with the terms that they use or just the simple fact they are saying "Hey man, you are looking really great. I am not attracted to you in a sexual way, but I wanted you to know that I appreciate your physic from a heterosexual point of view. Thanks and have a great day."

Try texting or typing that every time you post something and see how you like it. So instead. Some people shorten it up and say No Homo. But I guess in our PC world where everyone is so overly sensitive you cant say anything without anyone complaining about it.
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I just don't get everyone that gets "hurt" or "offended" at comments not directed at you or anyone in particular. Some people hate the word retarded and yes it is insensitive but someone that looks at a sculpture and says wow that is retarded is not intentionally trying to hurt anyone it is not the same as insulting and mentally handicapped person. People need to quit being some damned sensitive about everything.
  • Kanohane
    Kanohane Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Most straight men don't wanna be called girls...I hope...so why on earth would they want another dude to think they were gay?Nothing wrong with clarifying your manliness when in question......
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

If someone I did not know was joking or did not know well enough said that to me, trust me, they would not get away with it.

Oh, Come on! I thought you had your own squat rack...:laugh:
  • larosita57
    larosita57 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    It's just another internet meme. They're always offensive to someone.

Well, it's not really an issue of being overly sensitive. As "lighthearted" as it may seem, it's unfortunately a sign of how homophobia is still prevalent. Obviously, posting "no homo" means the person posting has a fear of being considered gay - and in turn sees being gay as something very terrible. So sad.

Sometimes these forums can be helpful and supportive. Unfortunately, they can also be cruel and unproductive. I think sometimes folks try too hard to be amusing, often at the expense of others. Thanks to the OP for putting himself out here and bringing up this topic.