No Homo?

Options
SeaRunner26
SeaRunner26 Posts: 5,143 Member
Are the majority of guys on this site so insecure with their sexuality that if they compliment another guy, they have to end the comment with "no homo"? As a gay guy, I find this kind of insulting. As if being gay is something I should be ashamed of and requires a disclaimer. Yes homo.

Replies

• kbeckley11
    kbeckley11 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I hate it when people say that!
  • SeaRunner26
    Options
    Thanks for your support! :drinker:
  • andyisandy
    andyisandy Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    yay i made a joke in a thread the other day and got that. It so homophobic it crazy.
  • icandowhateveriputmymindto
    Options
    I think it's just because, at least in this era, men sort of get uncomfortable around gays (or at least that's what I've noticed). So just to clarify, they say "no homo" to make the other one know that they aren't homosexual. Meh, personally when people say something like "I love you no homo" to me, I say "I love you too lots of homo" back even though I'm straight.
  • hdjjones
    hdjjones Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you are complimenting I imagine. "Nice package" probably would not go over well with certain people.:wink:
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I've actually never seen this, but that makes my heart sink that people do that :(
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Myself I'd never say it, and I don't enjoy hearing it.

That said I think that masculinity in general keeps changing with times, so it's partly insecurity? I think it's something said far less with maturity
  • CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Are the majority of guys on this site so insecure with their sexuality that if they compliment another guy, they have to end the comment with "no homo"? As a gay guy, I find this kind of insulting. As if being gay is something I should be ashamed of and requires a disclaimer. Yes homo.

Yes homo made me laugh. This thread makes me think of "Lonely Island" and their song, "No Homo."
  • SeaRunner26
    Options
    I think it's just because, at least in this era, men sort of get uncomfortable around gays (or at least that's what I've noticed). So just to clarify, they say "no homo" to make the other one know that they aren't homosexual. Meh, personally when people say something like "I love you no homo" to me, I say "I love you too lots of homo" back even though I'm straight.

But why is it necessary? Isn't is assumed that most men are straight? I don't know the exact figures, but I think the general estimate is that only about 5% of men are gay.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    It's just another internet meme. They're always offensive to someone.
  • SeaRunner26
    Options
    Depends on what you are complimenting I imagine. "Nice package" probably would not go over well with certain people.:wink:

Yet I can get away with saying to a gal "nice rack" without ending the comment with "no hetero".
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    It's just another internet meme. They're always offensive to someone.

This.

It's like saying, "do you even lift, brah."

They don't really think you're a bra.
  • icandowhateveriputmymindto
    Options
    Also, because of media and society, men complimenting other men is seen as wimpish or "gay." So, that sentence sort of explains a lot.
  • libertygirlfla
    libertygirlfla Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Conversely, when we women give each other compliments, we are not compelled to clarify that it was not said in an attempt to get sex. I agree that's it's B.S. that people feel the need to make that distinction. Maybe I'm just getting old, but I've never understood why everything has to be about sex. Why can't it just be "saying something nice" to another human being?
  • andyisandy
    andyisandy Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Plus I hate see it but this thread will probably be locked just because what it about. Now if this thread was about straight people hooking up, or talking about life after death, and so on and so forth, it will stay open.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    Coming from the guy who said fake boobs are a bait and switch?! REALLY?! :tongue:
  • swarovski75
    swarovski75 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I've seen it said by guys I know to be pretty awesome and not at all homophobic. I get how its offensive and I don't like it either, but I don't think they mean to offend.
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Yes homo! :D

I think it makes them look so insecure when they say it, but I don't hear it as often, actually I've heard yes homo a lot too. I like it better. :)
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I find it offensive that it bothers you so much you Need to know, for if you didn't you wouldn't have created the thread.

To each their own on their mindsets.