No Homo?

Options

Replies

• Jason67o48
    Options
    I've only seen the younger crowd use "no homo" usually adults don't go that route. I think it's more to do with a young mans mentaliity to use it. I dont approve of it overall.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I did have a rather long post written, but I think I'll leave it with these points...

I've had someone that is gay say that to me.

Not sure if it's more of an English term, but 'wa**er' - something that most men will have done enough.
    Yet blokes don't generally take offensive because an activity they have done/do is used in a derogatory fashion about another person.

There is likely an evolutionary-based dislike of homosexuality in a good proportion of people.

Oh, the evolution argument.
    Know who loves that argument? Racist people claiming we evolved to dislike other races.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    It is offensive....and it does highlight latent insecurities that some men tend to have towards other men.

I love my mfp friends as brothers and sisters.

lol exactly! and Im sure you're not trying to bang your brothers and sisters ;)

But how do they KNOW that? Better add "no incest" after everything just to make sure.

why not ask them?
  • 2muchsauce
    2muchsauce Posts: 1,078
    Options
    I'm breaking out the popcorn now...anyone want any?

I'll partake. I had no idea the firestorm I would have created. I figure I'd get a few posts and that would be that. Already 90 plus posts in twenty minutes or so and I got four friend request. Go figure!

Someone is playing coy a bit here:) 4600+ posts and you didn't think this would take off? lol
  • CaliforniaSweetheart
    Options
    *partake of popcorn*

No fattie.

Lmao that was good. Screw Lifetime movies...MFP is way better.
  • SeaRunner26
    SeaRunner26 Posts: 5,143 Member
    Options
    I did have a rather long post written, but I think I'll leave it with these points...

I've had someone that is gay say that to me.

Not sure if it's more of an English term, but 'wa**er' - something that most men will have done enough.
    Yet blokes don't generally take offensive because an activity they have done/do is used in a derogatory fashion about another person.

There is likely an evolutionary-based dislike of homosexuality in a good proportion of people.

Oh, the evolution argument.
    Know who loves that argument? Racist people claiming we evolved to dislike other races.

Hey now. Let's keep this clean. I just wanted to bring up a point to discuss.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    *partake of popcorn*

No fattie.

OOOOOH SHOTGUN! Right next too you.:drinker:

*no motives*
  • SeaRunner26
    SeaRunner26 Posts: 5,143 Member
    Options
    I'm breaking out the popcorn now...anyone want any?

I'll partake. I had no idea the firestorm I would have created. I figure I'd get a few posts and that would be that. Already 90 plus posts in twenty minutes or so and I got four friend request. Go figure!

Someone is playing coy a bit here:) 4600+ posts and you didn't think this would take off? lol

Most my posts are from playing the word games (e.g. add a word/drop a word, last letter first, ABC game, etc.)
  • Junken_Diraffe
    Junken_Diraffe Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Being a bisexual female myself, I compliment my girlfriends all the time, but leave no disclaimer at the end. To my knowledge, my girlfriends don't wonder if my compliment means anything more than what it actually ~says~ and, therefore, do not take it as an invitation for sex ... except, of course, for those who I ~have~ extended the invitation, lol :wink:

And we appreciate that! :love: And it is reciprocated. VERY HOMO. (Now I'm confused... is that not a necessary disclaimer?)
  • freshvl
    freshvl Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    These guys are all so hot in here... no homo
  • Gjallarhorn
    Options
    I think that first you should probably understand that many men are confused about their sexuality because they haven't experimented outside the social parameters of what normal is perceived as. Which is their own damn fault and nothing that should ever affect you. Personally I do use the term, mostly with people I don't know, and over the internet. I have a few gay friends who I've discussed this with a couple of times, and they agreed that things like that can border on offensive, but nothing they really read into. They know I'm supportive of their life choices, and they don't care what I say as long as I don't mean it in anger or hate.

Personally I haven't experienced with other men, because I've had enough exposure to different viewpoints enough to know what I feel and what I want. I like the chicks, end of story on that note.

Mostly, when I use it it's more of a "Don't want whoever I'm talking about to feel uncomfortable." rather than "I'm not a *kitten* I'm not a *kitten*, it isn't true!"
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    *partake of popcorn*

No fattie.

OOOOOH SHOTGUN! Right next too you.:drinker:

*no motives*

Guess we're watching "The Birdcage"?
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I think that first you should probably understand that many men are confused about their sexuality because they haven't experimented outside the social parameters of what normal is perceived as. Which is their own damn fault and nothing that should ever affect you. Personally I do use the term, mostly with people I don't know, and over the internet. I have a few gay friends who I've discussed this with a couple of times, and they agreed that things like that can border on offensive, but nothing they really read into. They know I'm supportive of their life choices, and they don't care what I say as long as I don't mean it in anger or hate.

Personally I haven't experienced with other men, because I've had enough exposure to different viewpoints enough to know what I feel and what I want. I like the chicks, end of story on that note.

Mostly, when I use it it's more of a "Don't want whoever I'm talking about to feel uncomfortable." rather than "I'm not a *kitten* I'm not a *kitten*, it isn't true!"

Cool excuses bro.
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Is it weird that when I read "No Homo?" I opened this thread fully expecting the opening line to include "sapiens"? Not for a second did "gay" cross my mind. I've never heard or read this (yet) and do not understand the need for clarification, unless I ask you on a date, or into my basement.
  • scaiter
    scaiter Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Are the majority of guys on this site so insecure with their sexuality that if they compliment another guy, they have to end the comment with "no homo"? As a gay guy, I find this kind of insulting. As if being gay is something I should be ashamed of and requires a disclaimer. Yes homo.

ouch. That kind of language is unacceptable. Perhaps you can direct them to this website: http://www.nohomophobes.com/#!/today/

In my experience, people who use racial, sexist or homophobic slurs are often too stupid to be impacted by being shamed, but you never know ...
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I think it's just because, at least in this era, men sort of get uncomfortable around gays (or at least that's what I've noticed). So just to clarify, they say "no homo" to make the other one know that they aren't homosexual. Meh, personally when people say something like "I love you no homo" to me, I say "I love you too lots of homo" back even though I'm straight.
    ^I loled

It's all in the way you mean it I think. I wouldn't take it so personally, especially since that's probably not the way it's meant. I'm sure most of the people who say it do not think it's offensive at all, and I think this day and age everyone is far to offended by everything.

Basically saying that has the equivalence of "I'm not hitting on you" which is fine...and I don't think people should be offended by it....

At the same time it's all in the way you mean it, and as if you're offended by it, it's because there's a negative connotation associated with it, and I can see where you're coming from. There's a lot of creepy people out there, gay and straight. In my experience people seem to notice the 'creepy gay ones' because there are a lot of obvious ones, plus some people still are not use to it plus it's not up some peoples ally. I have a friend, I consider completely normal and isn't very 'quirky' or 'off'. She's in the closet and refuses to come out and was having a mental breakdown about it one day soon after she told me her situation (after years)...and I was trying to console her trying to convince her that she wasn't 'off'...and she basically said "If you were gay, who would you date". And I was like damn, she has a point. It just suddenly dawned on me that 99% of the gay/lesbian people I know are nut bars...and so if you mean it in that way...that's not really ok... correlation =/= causation as they say.

But I still stick by my first statement, noone should live their life assuming everyone is trying to offend them. Have a sense of humor, I can see the humor in it, it's all in the intent. Comedians say inappropriate things all the time, and I've met plenty of gay guys who could take that joke no problem. And they'd probably be one of the person who would return it with "lots of homo" lol!
  • Gjallarhorn
    Options
    They are pretty good aren't they?
  • LeggyAmericanGirl
    LeggyAmericanGirl Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    any given statement can be offensive

grow a pair of balls.
  • jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    I was shocked too. Was thinking milk or something...
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options

Cool excuses bro.

Yes, I always appreciate the whole, "I'm not homophobic, I have gay friends" line.