Replies

• DonnaNCgirl
    Options
    you're kind of a cutie...no hetero :tongue:

Hope you can sense the joke in this comment. No offense intended. :smile:
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options

Yes, I always appreciate the whole, "I'm not homophobic, I have gay friends" line.

"BUT...BUT... MY TOKEN GAY FRIEND SAID IT WAS OKAYYYY :sad: They represent the entire gay community, right?"
  • SeaRunner26
    SeaRunner26 Posts: 5,143 Member
    Options

Oh yes, and much appreciated.

People are taking this much more seriously than I intended. But I should have know better.
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    But I still stick by my first statement, noone should live their life assuming everyone is trying to offend them.

But then they can't be victims.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Yup, that's why I make sure to say "no vegetarian" when I eat a salad. I also say "no hetero" when I compliment a guy, and "no chef" when I cook. Sometimes I walk up to people on the street and tell them a list of the things I'm not. It doesn't last long though, but as they walk away I'll say "no stalker". Just to make sure they know.

Ok - this was funny.

While I think "no homo" is rather stupid, I tend to think it's insecure people or people who think it's funny. Just saying why it doesn't offend ME. "That's gay", used as a pejorative, bothers me a lot, though. In fact I got into a bit of a fight with a coworker last week. She actually tried to defend that by claiming it was just her "saying". I told her to get a new one. Oddly, she was one of the first to be taken aback when another coworker used to refer to being ripped off as being "raped". We had to get her to stop using that one too.

Now that I'm thinking about this- jeeze, doesn't anyone teach young people how to speak appropriately anymore?! :)
  • Umeboshi
    Options
    But I still stick by my first statement, noone should live their life assuming everyone is trying to offend them.

Because nobody is oppressed in this society, right? The people who claim to be oppressed are obviously just playing the victim card.
  • Gjallarhorn
    Options

People are taking this much more seriously than I intended. But I should have know better.

probably a few wording choices to be sure, but if they snap back that harshly, trust me they were offended that you were offended, meaning they don't take their own advice.

*brace for incoming fire.*
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    YES HOMO :)

Hugs :)
  • Cynclancurrie
    Options
    Disgusting. "No Homo"--that is insulting in so many ways. What about the rest of us with gay sons, brothers and best friends? Ick.

I would not be too thrilled hearing 'nice rack,' either, although I don't think I've ever heard that outside of a construction site (when I was twenty years old).
  • SeaRunner26
    SeaRunner26 Posts: 5,143 Member
    Options

probably a few wording choices to be sure, but if they snap back that harshly, trust me they were offended that you were offended, meaning they don't take their own advice.

Don't worry, I'll protect you, in a totally platonic way.
  • Gjallarhorn
    Options

Because nobody is oppressed in this society, right? The people who claim to be oppressed are obviously just playing the victim card.

HELP HELP I'M BEING REPRESSED! Great Monty Python quote. (repressed, oppressed, whatever.)

And for the record, oppression is more of a Nazi regime sort of circumstance... so nice wordplay.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Oh, the evolution argument.
    Know who loves that argument? Racist people claiming we evolved to dislike other races.
    Yep, I've read that, seen the research in respected journals and certainly consider it a legitimate theory.

In the bits I deleted I waffled on about how I'd campaigned against racism in other forums.
    However, one argument that took the wind out of my sales there was redheads - that I wasn't also campaigning for their rights.

My argument was that generally redheads hadn't suffered 'real' abuse on a big scale.
    I've known plenty of homosexuals and I've never seen or heard of them receiving abuse in the societies we live in.
    Of course some do, no doubt.

But if we were to try and not offend ANYONE, it would be a very dull place.

Though, with stand up comedians abolished, which would be a good thing, at least!

In my younger days, I took a variety of substances, but I never felt the need to take personal offence when someone used 'a right stoner' in a derogatory manner about another person - or even me, for that matter. Some people don't like the life style and express it - that in it's self isn't a problem to my mind.

So, I'll go with some internet slang and suggest people need to 'MTFU' and stop being so thin-skinned.

For the record, it's not a phrase I would use; but I would defend people's right to say it.

On said motorcycle forum we had a VERY similar argument.
    The main protagonist claimed he'd never do anything like that.
    Trawled through his posts and he used the word 'fraped' - something that surely cause considerable distaste to someone that HAS been sexually assaulted - bringing it down to the level of changing a page on facebook.
    Most of us are guilty of saying something that could offend someone - so he who is without sin, etc.

And yes, Southpark, which is great at offending EVERYONE has at some point got me annoyed - but I've cooled down, realising that yes, we're just back to the stand up comedian thing.
  • jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options

So let me get this straight...
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

Because nobody is repressed in this society, right? The people who claim to be oppressed are obviously just playing the victim card.

There is lots of evidence showing women are still oppressed. I witness it constantly in my 90% male dominated degree. And most of my friends are guys. And they have all kinds of terrible oppressing women jokes. And I still laugh at them at times...depending on who says it and when. All of them would stick up for equality at a drop of a pin if the topic ever came up. Like I said, it's all in the intent. Life is no fun when you don't appreciate the ironing. I mean irony.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    *partake of popcorn*

No fattie.

OOOOOH SHOTGUN! Right next too you.:drinker:

*no motives*

Guess we're watching "The Birdcage"?

What is "The Birdcage?"
  • DonnaNCgirl
    Options
    The amount of butthurt in this thread is quite...unexpected.
  • jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options

HELP HELP I'M BEING REPRESSED! Great Monty Python quote. (repressed, oppressed, whatever.)

And for the record, oppression is more of a Nazi regime sort of circumstance... so nice wordplay.

Bravo! Nazi. Hitler. /thread
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Oh and to add - I hear plenty of things in a similar vein about women.
    "Stop being such a girl", "you run like a woman", "man-up and sort it out" - all heard said by women to blokes, but of course also said by blokes to other blokes, which could suggest women are 'lesser'.
    Thankfully, my friends generally accept that they can make fun of the differences between people and it not be a problem.
    The one black guy that turned up to our bike forum BBQ was joking about being 'Token' :).
  • Umeboshi
    Options

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oppression

Please have some conversations with gay people who are often forced into the closet and not allowed to marry,
    or some people of color who get to enjoy racism on a daily basis,
    or women who are bombarded with sexism and rape culture constantly,
    or disabled people,
    or transgender people,
    or you know, any of the groups whose oppression does not count to you because they aren't in concentration camps.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

So let me get this straight...

I'M SO OFFENDED.