No Homo?

Options

Replies

• jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    But I still stick by my first statement, noone should live their life assuming everyone is trying to offend them.

But then they can't be victims.

This. This is my problem with how the gay community acts. Always like a victim of something or other. Who you want to be with is your decision and you should be afforded the right to equal things.

Guess what we all get made fun of in some form or another. Or have some sort of fun poked at us. Most of it take it what at what it is light hearted fun. And not turn everything into a crusade.

I use the term. So what? I have no problems with my sexuality. I'm not homophobic. But I will use this like any other internet meme because I feel like it.

Also, I guess thats what she said, Calling someone a milf, or FAIL should be on this page too. Youre not special just being lumped in with the rest of us

I've never claimed to be a victim. And truthfully, I've had it pretty easy. The worst I've experienced was guys yelling at me from their car (and the crime I committed was walking down the street holding my partner's hand).

However, my partner has not been so lucky. He's been beaten up twice. The second time he ended up in the hospital for several days. I'd say there is something going on beyond "needing to toughen up".

I'm very sorry to hear that.
  • imfivebyfive
    Options
    Sorry, I just had too....

3szf2r.jpg
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    But I still stick by my first statement, noone should live their life assuming everyone is trying to offend them.

Because nobody is repressed in this society, right? The people who claim to be oppressed are obviously just playing the victim card.

There is lots of evidence showing women are still oppressed. I witness it constantly in my 90% male dominated degree. And most of my friends are guys. And they have all kinds of terrible oppressing women jokes. And I still laugh at them at times...depending on who says it and when. All of them would stick up for equality at a drop of a pin if the topic ever came up. Like I said, it's all in the intent. Life is no fun when you don't appreciate the ironing. I mean irony.

Yeah, that pretty much says it all. I had a gay, Wiccan roommate in college and we would deliberately say the most offensive things possible about one another's religions/sexual proclivities. At the end of the day, if somebody seriously went after him for either thing, I would happily ask them to step outside. If somebody means to offend...be offended, but otherwise, try to ignore it and go on, I say.
    LOL Exactly. I think the same way. I have a native friend from college, we all make fun of eachother for various reason and have a 'theme'. We pick on the native guy for being native. One day he said something offensive to another friend of mine...the friend got saucy and said "F*ing natives" as a obviously native guy who we did not know walked by...and looked offended...at which point I started laughing at the guy who said F*ing natives...because the native guy was like "Hahaha take that" because well, he just looked really hurt because the last thing he wanted to do was offend someone...

With that being said, me and the native guy laughed, but we all wish that the guy who was walking by didn't hear the conversation of course, because he wasn't around for the intention. We didn't want to offend anyone by it
  • watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I like the gays.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Buy a firearm. You have the right to defend yourself like everyone else.

Cis White Hetero Male Advice strikes again!
  • Gjallarhorn
    Options

No better oppression stopping power than a 44 magnum to a violent sexist back alley murder rapist's chest.
  • icandowhateveriputmymindto
    Options
    I think it's just because, at least in this era, men sort of get uncomfortable around gays (or at least that's what I've noticed). So just to clarify, they say "no homo" to make the other one know that they aren't homosexual. Meh, personally when people say something like "I love you no homo" to me, I say "I love you too lots of homo" back even though I'm straight.

The point is that having to clarify their sexuality so they are not perceived to be homosexual reflects the perception that there is something wrong with being homosexual.

Not necessarily - people don't like to be mistaken for what they are not. I'm like that too and so are you and everyone else.

Yup, that's why I make sure to say "no vegetarian" when I eat a salad. I also say "no hetero" when I compliment a guy, and "no chef" when I cook. Sometimes I walk up to people on the street and tell them a list of the things I'm not. It doesn't last long though, but as they walk away I'll say "no stalker". Just to make sure they know.

You don't have to be a jerk about it. Yes, being gay is still taboo in the society today no matter how "modern" we think ourselves. Homosexuality is simply not accepted as widely as being a "vegetarian, hetero, or chef" are. As for the stalker statement, I've actually heard people say "Not to sound like stalker, but I..." Once again, it's not widely accepted to be a stalker (if accepted at all.) Therefore people do not want to be viewed as that especially if they are not one. Jeez. Calm down.

It is human nature to want to be accepted. We want validation from our peers even if we deny it viciously.
  • McChubbyruewho
    Options

Lame Feminist anger tying to be witty AGAIN!!! yeeesssshhhh!
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options

No better oppression stopping power than a 44 magnum to a violent sexist back alley murder rapist's chest.
    Wait, are you advocating violence against yourself?
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options

Lame Feminist anger tying to be witty AGAIN!!! yeeesssshhhh!

Thanks for saying it the nice way.
  • Gjallarhorn
    Options

Tell you what, if you see me barreling toward you with duct tape and a napkin drenched in chloroform, I wouldn't blame you if you shot first and asked me to stop second.
  • CoderGal
    Options

This. This is my problem with how the gay community acts. Always like a victim of something or other. Who you want to be with is your decision and you should be afforded the right to equal things.

Guess what we all get made fun of in some form or another. Or have some sort of fun poked at us. Most of it take it what at what it is light hearted fun. And not turn everything into a crusade.

I use the term. So what? I have no problems with my sexuality. I'm not homophobic. But I will use this like any other internet meme because I feel like it.

Also, I guess thats what she said, Calling someone a milf, or FAIL should be on this page too. Youre not special just being lumped in with the rest of us

I've never claimed to be a victim. And truthfully, I've had it pretty easy. The worst I've experienced was guys yelling at me from their car (and the crime I committed was walking down the street holding my partner's hand).

However, my partner has not been so lucky. He's been beaten up twice. The second time he ended up in the hospital for several days. I'd say there is something going on beyond "needing to toughen up".

Absolutely, I just hope you understand...if we forget about that for a second and dropped all the idiots off the earth who would ever F*ing do that to a human being....and we dropped the people who are frightened to death of perfectly normal people just because they grew up being told they should be...there's humor in stuff...

And I understand that you're offended by it, and I'm ok with that. I'm offended by many things I know I shouldn't be. I only break the necks of those who know I'm offended by it. I'm likely to still keep my terrible ironic sense of sarcastic humor, though I didn't say "no homo" to people I'm sure I've said things to offend people, but if I knew that someone was offended by it (especially for good reason) I'd go out of my way to never mention it around you. But if I did say it, I'd mean it in more of a "I am not hitting on you, I am complimenting you, I have no intentions, etc" then a "being homo is not alright" kind of way, it's not wordy, to the point, ironic, just like I'd make it clear if I was talking to a guy who figures I'm hitting on him...which I constantly have to clear up being constantly surrounded by guys...constantly lol. And I have a dirty sense of humor, and I have a terribly sarcastic ironic sense of humor, so I'll probably clear up the situation by saying something inappropriate...which may make it worse...which I may regret...but I still find the things I find funny funny, just like I cracked up when the girl said "lots of homo". It's off the wall ironic, I love it. I'd be blind to the negative side of things.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options

Absolutely, I just hope you understand...if we forget about that for a second and dropped all the idiots off the earth who would ever F*ing do that to a human being....and we dropped the people who are frightened to death of perfectly normal people just because they grew up being told they should be...there's humor in stuff...

And I understand that you're offended by it, and I'm ok with that. I'm offended by many things I know I shouldn't be. I only break the necks of those who know I'm offended by it. I'm likely to still keep my terrible ironic sense of sarcastic humor, though I didn't say "no homo" to people I'm sure I've said things to offend people, but if I knew that someone was offended by it (especially for good reason) I'd go out of my way to never mention it around you. But if I did say it, I'd mean it in more of a "I am not hitting on you, I am complimenting you, I have no intentions, etc" then a "being homo is not alright" kind of way, it's not wordy, to the point, ironic, just like I'd make it clear if I was talking to a guy who figures I'm hitting on him...which I constantly have to clear up being constantly surrounded by guys...constantly lol. And I have a dirty sense of humor, and I have a terribly sarcastic ironic sense of humor, so I'll probably clear up the situation by saying something inappropriate...which may make it worse...which I may regret...but I still find the things I find funny funny, just like I cracked up when the girl said "lots of homo". It's off the wall ironic, I love it. I'd be blind to the negative side of things.

Thank you. Said way better than I did.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Yes, thankfully your friends are totally okay with sexism and think it's completely cool to continue oppressing women.
    No one blinks an eye when it's women demeaning men however.
    Plenty of times heard women demeaning men "always think with your penis", "just like a man", "silly boy, want a woman to explain?"
    Reality is I have friends that can accept, make fun of and indeed celebrate the differences between people without it being an issue.
    I feel sorry for people that can't.
    Ahem.
    I didn't think even ironic (and I really hope it is) joking was allowed either?

This so much.
    The example takes one specific situation, which partly involves bad planning on the 'parents' side.
    Frankly; life isn't fair.
    When I was 8 my parents split up and I chose to live with my dad. My dad was killed in a road accident when I was 11.
    Life sucks for many people for many reasons. The trick is to make the best of it, rather than looking for excuses to feel bad, to my mind.

While you are saying lots there I read this and all I thought was...Yay motorcycles!</kawi>
    Which was why I cut the waffle out in the first place.

Also, mmmm; waffles.

Oh and lastly - I've had a girl shout abuse at me from a car; thanks to a nice 'crack' showing while riding my push bike carrying shopping and trousers that needed a belt it would seem. I didn't feel the need to be offended when I saw someone laughing at a picture they had taken of someone else's said crack on facebook.
  • CaliforniaSweetheart
    Options

Tell you what, if you see me barreling toward you with duct tape and a napkin drenched in chloroform, I wouldn't blame you if you shot first and asked me to stop second.
    [/quot
    Lmao! Wow, you have a plan of action already in place...me thinks.you are experienced in barreling at women with chloroform drenched napkins and duct tape. Lol...kidding! Couldn't resist.
  • Gjallarhorn
    Options

[/quot
    Lmao! Wow, you have a plan of action already in place...me thinks.you are experienced in barreling at women with chloroform drenched napkins and duct tape. Lol...kidding! Couldn't resist.

You made me choke on a piece of ice. Looking good in that pic btw. (just waiting for my favorite feminist to take the bait.)
  • emmymcq
    emmymcq Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I hate it when people say that!

ME TOO!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    One final one - I do use 'vegetarian' in a derogatory fashion, including around vegetarian friends.
    They know it's something I don't like, but they aren't insulted - their own belief in their way of life is solid enough not to be worried by someone joking about it.

I'd be less likely to say the same on a forum such as this - but again, would defend other people's right to do so.
  • andyisandy
    andyisandy Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    As a gay maybe I was being to sensitive to the term. I wish people would use it less but when I see it I won't get so up in arms. Anyway hope you all have a good night. And baby I was born this way.
  • CoderGal
    Options

[/quot

You made me choke on a piece of ice. Looking good in that pic btw. (just waiting for my favorite feminist to take the bait.)
    Now there's a different topic. I actually got into an argument with a bunch of guys in the department about how I hate what feminism has become...watched a feminist argue with Ron Jeremy over 'equality'. She lost lol. Everyone should be about 'equality'. Why they call it "Feminism" well I guess it's because of the history...but the guys were trying to convince me that it's a good idea to join those groups and my first thought was "But everyone I've met who is part of it is a angry lesbian who hates men who have no sense of humor" and now many are associating that with what feminism is...Apparently the guys want to send me on a crusade to stop it lol. We had a walk for women who have been raped here....and the guys weren't aloud to be part of the walk....wtf does that say....