Options

Replies

• jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    you're kind of a cutie...no hetero :tongue:

Hope you can sense the joke in this comment. No offense intended. :smile:

Oh yes, and much appreciated.

People are taking this much more seriously than I intended. But I should have know better.

probably a few wording choices to be sure, but if they snap back that harshly, trust me they were offended that you were offended, meaning they don't take their own advice.

*brace for incoming fire.*

Don't worry, I'll protect you, in a totally platonic way.

So let me get this straight...

Oh, certainly you can appreciate the irony!

Yes. :)
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    But I still stick by my first statement, noone should live their life assuming everyone is trying to offend them.

But then they can't be victims.

This. This is my problem with how the gay community acts. Always like a victim of something or other. Who you want to be with is your decision and you should be afforded the right to equal things.

Guess what we all get made fun of in some form or another. Or have some sort of fun poked at us. Most of it take it what at what it is light hearted fun. And not turn everything into a crusade.

I use the term. So what? I have no problems with my sexuality. I'm not homophobic. But I will use this like any other internet meme because I feel like it.

Also, I guess thats what she said, Calling someone a milf, or FAIL should be on this page too. Youre not special just being lumped in with the rest of us

Seriously? They are no different from the rest of us? Soo, a gay couple, living together for 20 years, raise two adopted children together, one of the parent's of these children is killed in a car accident. The soul supporter of the family. These children get no benefits for the loss of their father. The living parent, get's no benefits. Say they are young and there is no will. The children have no rights to the deceased parent's home, or finances. All because our society, refuses to allow them the right to be married and only one half of the couple could legally adopt the child. Or say the one that legally adopted them is the one killed. The remaining father loses the children, the children lose both parents all at once. But they are not treated ANY differently from the rest of us huh? They can act like victims because they ARE. We bully them, tell them who they can and can not love, who they can and can not share their lives with. Tell them that they do not have the same rights as EVER OTHER PERSON in this country. You, do not know wtf you are talking about.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    But I still stick by my first statement, noone should live their life assuming everyone is trying to offend them.

This. This is my problem with how the gay community acts. Always like a victim of something or other. Who you want to be with is your decision and you should be afforded the right to equal things.

Guess what we all get made fun of in some form or another. Or have some sort of fun poked at us. Most of it take it what at what it is light hearted fun. And not turn everything into a crusade.

I use the term. So what? I have no problems with my sexuality. I'm not homophobic. But I will use this like any other internet meme because I feel like it.

Also, I guess thats what she said, Calling someone a milf, or FAIL should be on this page too. Youre not special just being lumped in with the rest of us

First, it didn't start as an internet meme. It was entrenched in hip hop culture well before the memes started.

This isn't really just about being made fun of. Obviously the word has a different connotation for some people than others. For example, when I hear "no homo," I'm reminded of being called a homo, and the accompanying threats of being curb stomped, just because I dare to hold my husband's hand while walking down the street.

Do I expect people to assume that I have that connotation? No. Hence, why it's necessary to inform people. If you don't care that it's offensive, and you choose to reject the meaning it has for other people, that's obviously up to you, but it's still offensive.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options

Seriously? They are no different from the rest of us? Soo, a gay couple, living together for 20 years, raise two adopted children together, one of the parent's of these children is killed in a car accident. The soul supporter of the family. These children get no benefits for the loss of their father. The living parent, get's no benefits. Say they are young and there is no will. The children have no rights to the deceased parent's home, or finances. All because our society, refuses to allow them the right to be married and only one half of the couple could legally adopt the child. Or say the one that legally adopted them is the one killed. The remaining father loses the children, the children lose both parents all at once. But they are not treated ANY differently from the rest of us huh? They can act like victims because they ARE. We bully them, tell them who they can and can not love, who they can and can not share their lives with. Tell them that they do not have the same rights as EVER OTHER PERSON in this country. You, do not know wtf you are talking about.

This so much.
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options

Because nobody is repressed in this society, right? The people who claim to be oppressed are obviously just playing the victim card.

There is lots of evidence showing women are still oppressed. I witness it constantly in my 90% male dominated degree. And most of my friends are guys. And they have all kinds of terrible oppressing women jokes. And I still laugh at them at times...depending on who says it and when. All of them would stick up for equality at a drop of a pin if the topic ever came up. Like I said, it's all in the intent. Life is no fun when you don't appreciate the ironing. I mean irony.

Yeah, that pretty much says it all. I had a gay, Wiccan roommate in college and we would deliberately say the most offensive things possible about one another's religions/sexual proclivities. At the end of the day, if somebody seriously went after him for either thing, I would happily ask them to step outside. If somebody means to offend...be offended, but otherwise, try to ignore it and go on, I say.
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I chalk that right up there with... "Just kidding!" and "No offense!" when whatever just said was positively offensive but that post-thought comment somehow negates the original statement.

It's also akin to, "Oh, my best friend is black!" (aka as "No, really, I'm not racist I'm just acting like it right now)

or

"I watched every episode of Will & Grace. ((or the Jeffersons. Or Cosby Show. Or Reba for Heaven's sake)" (aka as "Obviously I completely understand every nuance of your situation."

or

"No judgement"... right before they go on to make some judgement statement. Usually having something to do with religion and my everlasting fate to burn somewhere hotter than my current AZ locale.
  • jbutterflye
    Options
    I like that episode of South Park where people got off on the smell of their own farts.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options

This so much.

You obviously can't read. As you missed the part where I specifically stated that they should be afforded the right to equal things. IE marriage, benefits, and everyother thing that married or otherwise people are also allowed
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

Yes, they are victims, many who are not gay are a victim at some point in their life, and you bring up a valid point, that's not fair (and it's not fair to couples who choose not to marry either I'd imagine, even if they aren't gay). I do not think anyone will disagree that that is fair...

The problem with this thread is there are particular people playing victim because someone made a funny...not the same situation, at all.
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I like that episode of South Park where people got off on the smell of their own farts.

That instantly made me think of the episode where they *kitten* out of their mouths. That was freaking sick.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options

XclM1Y2.gif

I don't even know where to start, so I won't. I'll just laugh.
  • CaliforniaSweetheart
    Options
    OP- See what you have caused??? I hope it was worth it. I'm downing popcorn like no other and it's all going to go straight to my a**! Lmao!
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Nevermind
  • goldied01
    goldied01 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Wait! The name "Homo" is still being used?!!!!! Wow....
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options

Yes, they are victims, many who are not gay are a victim at some point in their life, and you bring up a valid point, that's not fair (and it's not fair to couples who choose not to marry either I'd imagine, even if they aren't gay). I do not think anyone will disagree that that is fair...

The problem with this thread is there are particular people playing victim because someone made a funny...not the same situation, at all.

The problem is the "funny" (by the way, that rubbish is not funny) contributes to this group's overall oppression.
  • SeaRunner26
    SeaRunner26 Posts: 5,143 Member
    Options
    OP- See what you have caused??? I hope it was worth it. I'm downing popcorn like no other and it's all going to go straight to my a**! Lmao!

What can I say? Lack of forethought? I'll be much more careful about my posts from now on.
  • SeaRunner26
    SeaRunner26 Posts: 5,143 Member
    Options

I've never claimed to be a victim. And truthfully, I've had it pretty easy. The worst I've experienced was guys yelling at me from their car (and the crime I committed was walking down the street holding my partner's hand).

However, my partner has not been so lucky. He's been beaten up twice. The second time he ended up in the hospital for several days. I'd say there is something going on beyond "needing to toughen up".
  • jbutterflye
    Options
    I support the marriage of any consenting adults who love each other. :)

For the record.
  • Gjallarhorn
    Options
    Buy a firearm. You have the right to defend yourself like everyone else.