No Homo?

Options

Replies

• SeaRunner26
    SeaRunner26 Posts: 5,143 Member
    Options
    Coming from the guy who said fake boobs are a bait and switch?! REALLY?! :tongue:

Believe it! I can still flirt with the ladies, just don't expect to come home with me.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Are the majority of guys on this site so insecure with their sexuality that if they compliment another guy, they have to end the comment with "no homo"? As a gay guy, I find this kind of insulting. As if being gay is something I should be ashamed of and requires a disclaimer. Yes homo.

I'm glad to have you as a friend. :drinker:
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Nice work man. You could be on the cover of the L.L. Bean catalog.

29225513_1450.jpg

// No Homo
  • icandowhateveriputmymindto
    Options
    Conversely, when we women give each other compliments, we are not compelled to clarify that it was not said in an attempt to get sex. I agree that's it's B.S. that people feel the need to make that distinction. Maybe I'm just getting old, but I've never understood why everything has to be about sex. Why can't it just be "saying something nice" to another human being?

I agree.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Coming from the guy who said fake boobs are a bait and switch?! REALLY?! :tongue:

Believe it! I can still flirt with the ladies, just don't expect to come home with me.

Tease.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    As a queer woman, i too find "no homo" to be very homophobic and insulting.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    Conversely, when we women give each other compliments, we are not compelled to clarify that it was not said in an attempt to get sex. I agree that's it's B.S. that people feel the need to make that distinction. Maybe I'm just getting old, but I've never understood why everything has to be about sex. Why can't it just be "saying something nice" to another human being?

yep I agree !
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    It's a joke among the bodybuilder community that has carried over here. You're right, it should have to be specified and men shouldn't get weirded out by other men complimenting them.
  • lovelyMYlovely
    lovelyMYlovely Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    awww i think thats sad... :( no no! never good to say that im sorry it hurts your feelings... i think the world should be a little nicer ... :)
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I've actually never seen this, but that makes my heart sink that people do that :(

same here.
  • SeaRunner26
    Options
    I find it offensive that it bothers you so much you Need to know, for if you didn't you wouldn't have created the thread.

To each their own on their mindsets.

If we never complain, how do we expect change to come?
  • 2muchsauce
    2muchsauce Posts: 1,078
    Options
    I've never felt the need to use it. Maybe I'm just secure enough in my manhood to not need to. But that being said, some people will find just about anything to be offended at no matter how trivial it is.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I hate "No Homo."

Do women say "No Les" after complimenting each other? No? Men are so insecure.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Someone is always going to be butthurt.

I see what you did there
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    It's one of those things that depends on the context in which it was said. Sometimes, it comes off as being extremely homophobic, and in that instances, the use of the term enrages me.

However, in other instances, it's actually humorous. For example, my husband will say something to one of his friends, who happens to be gay, that's completely homo-erotic, and then add, "No homo." at the end. It's a joke, and in no way meant to be homophobic, at all. I've said the phrase from time to time, normally as a mockery of those who use the phrase regularly, and almost always when I'm speaking to male friends (some of which are gay).

I get why you would be offended by it, but try to understand that not everyone uses it in a way that's meant to construe homophobia.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options

I'm not referring to your so called "flirting" with women.

I am asking why its ok for you to say something rude about women who've had cosmetic surgery, yet guys should tiptoe around something that is offensive to you?!
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I think it's just because, at least in this era, men sort of get uncomfortable around gays (or at least that's what I've noticed). So just to clarify, they say "no homo" to make the other one know that they aren't homosexual. Meh, personally when people say something like "I love you no homo" to me, I say "I love you too lots of homo" back even though I'm straight.

But why is it necessary? Isn't is assumed that most men are straight? I don't know the exact figures, but I think the general estimate is that only about 5% of men are gay.

Lol I think that should be 45%.

Of course 99% of my guy friends are gay
  • SeaRunner26
    Options
    Are the majority of guys on this site so insecure with their sexuality that if they compliment another guy, they have to end the comment with "no homo"? As a gay guy, I find this kind of insulting. As if being gay is something I should be ashamed of and requires a disclaimer. Yes homo.

I'm glad to have you as a friend. :drinker:

Ditto. Glad to have you aboard too!
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,983 Member
    Options
    I think it's just because, at least in this era, men sort of get uncomfortable around gays (or at least that's what I've noticed). So just to clarify, they say "no homo" to make the other one know that they aren't homosexual. Meh, personally when people say something like "I love you no homo" to me, I say "I love you too lots of homo" back even though I'm straight.
    I've heard it used a couple of times. (edit: It was part of a running joke being used in jest during a bachelor party)

I think it's come about because there is still a bit of a social taboo about a male complimenting another male, not necessarily comfort around gays. At least with the people I know. I've been to a party where I was one of 3 straight people, and I did not feel uncomfortable. Honestly, I take it as a huge compliment to receive a compliment from gay man.
    Yet I can get away with saying to a gal "nice rack" without ending the comment with "no hetero".
    But I'm sure you can get away with it without it being as creepy as well :wink:
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen it here and I haven't even heard it in like 10 years (but I am like, super hermit girl these days). Pretty sad it's still around.