Guys would you date someone with specail needs?

Options

Replies

• downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for everyone, but I would say own it. Be up front with the need. Put it out there often and early. Otherwise you will begin every relationship with this giant boogey man in your brain. "What will happen when I tell them?"

If it is there from the get go, then things can progress or not and you can be confident that at least that part of things isn't a question.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    It's just hard i mean i see a lot of hot guys but im scared to tell them what my special needs is because with would not want to go out with me and that has happened a lot

If you have someone you're interested in, it's much easier to become their friend first to see if you're even compatible. Give them a a chance to get to know you. I don't think there is any need to tell them about your special needs until the relationship gets serious.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I like to believe that there is someone for everyone. Sometimes you find them when you are NOT looking for them....

and your special needs won't even matter one bit when you find him. He will love you no matter what.
    yup.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    My 17 year old son is special needs. I'd like to think that, if he is someday emotionally up to it, he would find someone to share his life with.
  • Papalov100
    Papalov100 Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    _Randy_ No not all women have special needs
  • Music_is_my_soul
    Music_is_my_soul Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Honey, people, well a lot of people in this world are very shallow. They can't see past special needs, being overweight or having anything that is "not what the world perceives as being the perfect woman". However, there is that one man that is out there that will see you for the beautiful person you are. They won’t care what you look like, what your special needs are. You will find that guy! I know you will. Don't let your special needs stop you from talking to those hot guys. Get yourself out there. If you tell someone about your special needs and they laugh, run or shy away from you, then they aren't worth your time anyways. It is their loss! Don't be afraid to be who you are! I wish you the best of luck in everything you do! You will find him! :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    My brother is special needs, and desperately looking for a girl. He has also never had a girl friend. PM me and I'll give you his FaceBook, maybe you guys could be pen pals or something. :)
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I like to believe that there is someone for everyone. Sometimes you find them when you are NOT looking for them....

and your special needs won't even matter one bit when you find him. He will love you no matter what.
    yup.

This again
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    When you meet the right person..they will look beyond your special needs and see you for the kind, sweet, funny lady you are.:flowerforyou:
  • MM_1982
    MM_1982 Posts: 374
    Options
    Depends on the special needs.. but I would say "yes". We're all human being with feelings and emotions and everyone deserves to be loved.

I saw that there was a contestant on the Bachelor w/ one arm. She was really cute, very sweet, and had a lovely personality. Her handicap was well beyond her control, but it did not stop her from accomplishing what she wanted to in life. I would date her in a heartbeat.
  • Getyourshineon
    Options
    Interesting topic.. I don't have time to read it all now so I'm going to BUMP but I've often wondered too. My soon to be 18 yrs old daughter has Epilepsy and has numerous seizures monthly. She's had a few boyfriends, but I wonder what her future holds. She's pretty much a normal teenager and beautiful but the seizures are frequent, exhausting, and very scary. It will take someone willing to endure all the episodes with courage and love. She worries too, I know, as to whether she will ever get to be married and have children. She may never be able to hold down a job or drive a car, even with all the meds she is on. Makes a momma worry!
  • DebbieMc3
    DebbieMc3 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    It's just hard i mean i see a lot of hot guys but im scared to tell them what my special needs is because with would not want to go out with me and that has happened a lot

It would depend on what the need was. Some people are just not strong enough to deal with things and others might choose not to date someone with a special need.
    There is someone out there for everyone. Would you date someone with a special need? If so, I'm sure you are also dateable.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    What are your special needs? Why are you hiding it?

Here's the thing, nobody's perfect. You're categorizing your "special needs" worse than other people's imperfections. Some beautiful people are perfectly healthy.. but outright psychopaths. And I'd rather date a kind person with "special needs" than a hot narcissist that will rip your heart out.

My son has asperger's and type 1 diabetes. I hope he can find someone that appreciates him for what he is, but we never hide what his needs are. He's on an insulin pump. Without it, he'll die. Anyone who makes a life with him will have to take on some of that burden to help keep him alive. The whole point is finding someone who wants to do that. And his social issues are going to make it VERY difficult for that to happen.

In short, I see no difference between a person with "special needs" and any other flawed human. Which is all of us. I hope you can extend that kindess to yourself.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    i'll let you in on a secret: dating sucks for EVERYONE!!

just be you, all the time. refuse to change yourself. go out there and do stuff that you're passionate about. then, if you meet someone doing those things too, you know you already have stuff in common.

good luck.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    i'll let you in on a secret: dating sucks for EVERYONE!!

just be you, all the time. refuse to change yourself. go out there and do stuff that you're passionate about. then, if you meet someone doing those things too, you know you already have stuff in common.

good luck.

I agree with this.

You may find someone.

You may not.

Learn to be alright with both.
  • sedwards9999
    sedwards9999 Posts: 160 Member
    Options

Be up front about everything. Your special need is part of who you are.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Special needs would not eliminate someone from consideration as "dating material" if I were dating.

Now, that's easy for me to say being older, with more perspective... and unavailable.

Be yourself, put you and your personality first - without focusing on your special needs. Focus on whats great about you, what makes you a special person - your ABILITIES (I'm sure you've heard all this before).

We all have baggage and issues that prevent us from doing or having the things we truly want. Try to overcome those issues.

Maybe someone will come along, maybe not. That's a chance we all take.
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I deleted this:. . .never mind. . too bitter. . valentines day.. lol..
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Go to events where you can meet some cute special needs boys and say hi.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I deleted this:. . .never mind. . too bitter. . valentines day.. lol..

Hah. It felt right to me.