Family member refuses

Options
HI everyone

I've been on MFP for a while now. I lost 60lbs lifting heavy and eating in a calorie deficit and doing occasional cardio. My problem isn't with me. It's with my granny. She's 92 years old and absolutely refuses to lose weight.

I take her to the gym and stick her on the treadmill and after 5 minutes she complains she's tired?!

I got her started on Stronglifts 5x5 and she refuses to even lift up the barbell?

Do any of you have lazy family members? What did you do to kick their rear in gear so to speak?

I love my granny and want her to be healthy.

Replies

• Kristen81
    Kristen81 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Well, she is 92!! I'm sure she does get tired. Not to mention, at 92 years old most people are pretty stuck in their ways.
  • justmyalias
    justmyalias Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I think distance running is a better option for her, vs. lifting. Seriously...
    if she made it this long, she ought to be good for at least a marathon or two...
    endurance is key. She's already halfway there...
  • Kristen81
    Kristen81 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I didn't answer your question! I'm sure we all have lazy family members....most people wont get their *kitten* in gear until they have to, and usually people tying to make them do it will only make them do it all the less.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    This would have been better in the Chit-Chat forum.

Still... 6/10.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    She probably isn't motivated enough.

Stick one if her grandchildren under a barbell and have them pretend to be stuck. It's probably best if they cry too.

As for the treadmill, is she old enough to still be really xenophobic? Have a friend of another race chase her.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Quinn-giggle.gif
  • ilmb87
    ilmb87 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Having been on the other side of this situation, you can't force someone who doesn't want to change. Getting fit is a personal choice. There's nothing wrong with a little encouragement, but in the end it's your grandmother's decision.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

Stick one if her grandchildren under a barbell and have them pretend to be stuck. It's probably best if they cry too.

As for the treadmill, is she old enough to still be really xenophobic? Have a friend of another race chase her.

She did grow up during prohibition . . . should I maybe motivate her with booze?
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    You probably should have forced this on her when she was 91. It may be too late now.
  • chylo1
    chylo1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Give Granny a break!!!!!!! Her just going with you says alot!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

That's not the type of advice I'm looking for.

You're not being supportive to me or my Granny.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I dunno, she's 92.

If I make it to 92, I'm going to eat whatever the hell I want, snort cocaine and have unprotected sex with prostitutes.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options

That's not the type of advice I'm looking for.

You're not being supportive to me or my Granny.
    People are so mean on these forums!
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options

She did grow up during prohibition . . . should I maybe motivate her with booze?

Absolutely, hell if she's a violent drunk get her hammered before the gym. She'll be throwing kettle bells at all the God hatin youngsters, *kitten* and time wastin' nancy boys in no time
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Just have her do this granny workout...it's excellent.

grinding-granny.gif
  • nashsheri33
    nashsheri33 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    anybody who is 92 years old should be able to do whatever the heck she wants!

even though it is going to be terrible when she passes on. i know you want her to be with you forever, so you are trying to get her to be as healthy as possible. i know. my aunt is the dearest person in the world to everyone in the family but she refuses to take care of herself and it's frustrating to know that she could at least make an effort.

maybe you could tell her how afraid you are for her. guilt works both ways.

maybe she just hates the treadmill. how about one of those three-wheeled bikes? ( i guess that would be a trike...) anyway, find something she might be interested in. you never know, she might like something unexpected, like zumba. or swimming. or hula-hooping. cheerleading? it's anybody's guess.

good luck.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Even if she were 22, there isn't much you could do.

But in this case, leave the poor woman alone and perhaps try to learn a thing or two from her.

I wanted to believe this was a joke, but so many people do get like this once they have turned their own lives around.
  • choosingsara
    choosingsara Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I am crying laughing at this...
  • jeansuza
    jeansuza Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Unbelievable! Are you joking? Anyways, you cannot force ANYBODY to exercise or lose weight. Is she happy? Please let her be!
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Lmao.