Stop the Fat Bashing!

Options

Replies

• quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I'm a paranoid person. Like, literally. Diagnosed. I am forever having days where I have trouble because of what "other people must be thinking when they look at me." It can screw with my whole day and - honestly - is a huge part of why I'm such a hermit.

But even when it gets bad and I HAVE to be out there, I breath and tell myself "I'm not a mind-reader, I don't know what anyone else is thinking." It's in my head - and even if it isn't - it's STILL in my head because those people haven't actually shared those thoughts with me.

I do a lot of "I have no right to assume what other people are thinking" - because that's THEIR'S. No one has the right to assume what I'm thinking. So same goes for them. All this is easier said than done. Case in point, I've left the house maybe three times in a week??? If that? Still, I hope sharing the coping skills I use helps. I get how our own fear of what other people might be thinking can mess us up.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Really is sad that you assume that everyone that looks at you is instantly thinking something negative.

Assumptions.png
  • sam_the_girl
    sam_the_girl Posts: 53 Member
    Options

At 245 lbs, if I were eating a hamburger and fries I'd get looks from people because I shouldn't be eating like that in my condition. "Try a salad fatty!" is what their eyes say.

I get looks each and everyday like I shouldn't be wearing fitted clothes and at this point I really don't care.

I fill up my plate with tons of veggies and lean proteins at school and people look at it like me like "Why are you even trying that? You know you want that greasy pizza!"

Projection. YOU think these things and then assign them to random people you think are looking at you. But these are your thoughts, not theirs. These are your beliefs, not theirs.

You sir, have just won the Internet.

Is no one else reading all the comments just Jnichel?!! Hilarious! I like it when someone can break up the tension with a smart *kitten* remark :)
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options

At 245 lbs, if I were eating a hamburger and fries I'd get looks from people because I shouldn't be eating like that in my condition. "Try a salad fatty!" is what their eyes say.

I get looks each and everyday like I shouldn't be wearing fitted clothes and at this point I really don't care.

I fill up my plate with tons of veggies and lean proteins at school and people look at it like me like "Why are you even trying that? You know you want that greasy pizza!"

Projection. YOU think these things and then assign them to random people you think are looking at you. But these are your thoughts, not theirs. These are your beliefs, not theirs.

You sir, have just won the Internet.

Is no one else reading all the comments just Jnichel?!! Hilarious! I like it when someone can break up the tension with a smart *kitten* remark :)

I come to the Internet to get away from tension and seriousness.
  • joslynlpribble
    Options
    Hold strong and ignore the idiots. What you wear or eat is NO ONES business! You know you ar working on getting healthier. Do not worry about what others are saying or thinking. Some of the skinnest people I know are among the least healthy. The eat junk food, smoke and drink in excess. The only way to deal with those looks is to smile your sweetest smile and kill them with kindness. There are some cruel people out there but there is no reason for you to sink to their slimmy level. You are beautiful as you are. Maybe you should get a shirt made that says "I am wearing this because I just came from the gym".
  • proudandprejudiced
    Options
    I can relate to the last thing you said about the food. When I eat a salad (I usually have a mixed green salad from the salad bar with a couple of teaspoons of a chickpea and kidney bean salad with no dressing and boiled egg halves which I take the yolks out of) I get such filthy looks and I've actually had people talking about me behind my back saying horrible things about my healthy eating (WTF?!). However, if I know I won't have a chance to eat again until much later, I do eat a bigger lunch and I get a packet of baked crisps and a cereal bar too and when I eat these things, although they're not UNHEALTHY, just less healthy than I usually am, I still get bad looks and someone once told me that I ate too much and was a 'pig'.

I think that it's just easy for others to judge people on what they're eating.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    anyone else see the irony in here?

It's dripping off the walls.

thats not irony, i thought i was alone in here....

Dag-nab-it. Keep it in the, "It's raining men" thread!

potential men
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    sounds like you didnt need to rant.. You already got it figured out! You go girl!

-from a felllow REAL women.. haha :)

what does "REAL woman" mean?

Because i'm not overweight i'm less of a woman?
  • polarsjewel
    polarsjewel Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    sounds like you didnt need to rant.. You already got it figured out! You go girl!

Please define a REAL woman, I'm curious
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    My life got a whole lot easier when I decided to stop giving a funk about what strangers may or may not be thinking about me.
  • jnichel
    Options

Technically, yes. A woman with a mass of 100lbs is less of a woman than one with a mass of 125lbs. :laugh:
  • DoneBroughtSexyBack
    Options
    anyone else see the irony in here?

Yep. I do. Sad, isn't it?

it is *le sigh*

Haha!! Some people want only to *****... they will always find something.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options

That is how I took that comment too. I guess I strive to be a "fake woman"
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I'll admit after reading the first 7 responses, I didn't read others so apologies if I'm restating what someone else may have said. I'm sorry for the responses that took up space on your thread to take up their own rant.

Anyway, post away - it's why the forums are here. Ignore the haters (here and offline) and keep doing what's working for you. Which in this case, it sounds like that's moving a lot and making great food decisions. Whatever you perceive they're thinking may or may not be accurate, but it doesn't matter in my opinion, it's how you feel about it.

So... congratulations on making wise decisions, wearing what's comfortable, and strutting your stuff. Keep it up!
  • sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    IMO it sounds like you are a bit paranoid. How can you tell what someone is thinking by looking at them? :/

I wish you success girl! Hold your head up and don't worry about others may or may not be thinking. Keep it up!
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    It'S funny that the op started a thread about fat bashing and then someone over weight starts skinny bashing with a comment about being a real woman lol.
  • LaurenOliver
    Options

What makes a real women vs a fake one? I don't get it.

Humungous knockers.

DARNIT!
  • Rosytakesoff
    Options
    I've been 314 pounds and now I'm 183. What I've found is that most of the time people are thinking about themselves and their concerns, not me. And not you either. On the off chance they are thinking hateful things, who the hell cares? The world is not out to get you.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

That quote explains a good lot about the world. Mark the rest under X Files for inexplicable and move on.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    About the whole "real woman" thing...given that the poster never came back, I'm guessing it was just used to be an encouraging silly expression to cheer up OP. maybe by "real" she meant taking care of herself and not judging. Who knows? It would still work. So much offense is being taken to that comment while in turn telling OP she's being too sensitive about offhand comments or looks. Someone makes ONE "real woman" comment not directed at anyone and with no clear reason and everyone pounced on it and took offense! Take some of the advice you gave OP!

That being said, OP, you really do seem to be projecting and I know how that goes. My poor boyfriend can't compliment a part of my body without me taking it as backhand slang for calling me chubby. And I'm not fishing for compliments, it genuinely gets me down and makes me sad if he calls my thighs "shapely". Nuts, right? Just as nuts as letting a look from a stranger ruin your whole day. Stay in this for YOU. I totally understand that those insecurities can not be let go in one day but work on it as best you can and hang in there :)

My two cents about the skinny actresses and when that became sexy or whatevs... I really don't know how to tell, but some of them honestly look underweight. If health is everyone's goal, I think promoting a healthful body image, particularly to younger girls is an okay thing. I wish someone had told me when I was ten and a perfectly normal weight that my thighs didn't have to look like an actresses to still be healthy and attractive. I obsessed over it! Just a thought, not meant to be bashing at all!
  • jnichel
    Options

What makes a real women vs a fake one? I don't get it.

Humungous knockers.

DARNIT!

Don't fret....just go buy some.

knocker1.jpg