"Real" Women

Options
polarsjewel
polarsjewel Posts: 1,726 Member
I've seen this expression here a few times today. All women are real women, whether they were born as women or transitioned to women. If they have the "parts" they're real!

Being a "real" woman is not defined by your weight, or your curves (or lack thereof). Women come in all sizes, shapes, colours, forms, etc. There are tall, fat (gasp!) women, short, skinny women and women in all ranges between! We are not "one size fits all" and the people who define "real" women as "curvy" or whatever are only perpetuating the stereotypes that are so harmful to us and especially to young girls.

Just stop it now.

*steps off soapbox and wanders off*

Replies

• olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    It's only harmful when one takes it as harmful.
  • Imadarkswan
    Imadarkswan Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Get your butt back here and get back on that soap box! (here is where I would insert a clapping smiley face if there were one)
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    The only time I see this term used it is used to explain a fat woman. Not curvy but fat. It just sounds like an excuse to stay fat in my opinion. And make themselves feel better about the state that theyre currently in. If I gained a hundred pounds I wouldnt go around saying I'm a real man.

To me a real woman is a woman with confidence. And doesn't need a label to feel good about herself no matter what size she is.
  • CaddieMay
    CaddieMay Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    The only time I see this term used it is used to explain a fat woman. Not curvy but fat. It just sounds like an excuse to stay fat in my opinion. And make themselves feel better about the state that theyre currently in. If I gained a hundred pounds I wouldnt go around saying I'm a real man.

To me a real woman is a woman with confidence. And doesn't need a label to feel good about herself no matter what size she is.

^^^^ YES!
  • SVCat
    SVCat Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I have a blow up doll and I treat her like a real woman.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Even if they have had some of the parts surgically removed for medical reasons, they are still real women.

On the rare occasion that I have used this phrase, it is when guys are complaining about the "girls" they are dating.
  • gfedex
    gfedex Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Only those with low self-esteem take body image as a zero-sum game.

I wish I could claim that statement as my own, but I read it ages ago on another forum. Regardless, I think it applies to the Real Women Have Curves, HAES, fat acceptance....basically any campaign that causes one group to complain, "But what about me?"
  • silky_kitten
    silky_kitten Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    The only time the term "real women" is somewhat acceptable, is when you're telling your male friends to stop dating girls and find themselves a "real" woman.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

nailed_it-s240x320-227191.jpg
  • justgowithit17
    justgowithit17 Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    a real woman has a vagina
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Couldn't agree more.
  • Tennolina
    Tennolina Posts: 2,413
    Options

Amen!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

Amen!
    ^yes. --oh and when my husband refers to these imaginary "real" women who want to dote on their husbands all day long and do cooking and *kitten* all day everyday forever and ever. i think he really means stepford wives. gonna ask him to watch it tonight. thanks for the idea folks.

The "real" woman term is sad because I get to be a "real woman" for like 6 more months and then I'll go back to being fake and bashable by everyone I know because of my thinness/hotness. I'll probably lose some friends who are really nice to me right now, but have never seen me at goal weight. sad but true. it will be that i suddenly turned into a stuck up witch but in reality, i've been one all along.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options

Pics or it didn't happen.
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    Options

That's what I say but then my super politically correct friends have to be all like "Anyone who identifies as a woman is a real woman"

Tee hee...Canadians. We so silly.
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    Real? I thought this was the internet. O.o
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

tumblr_m1iaczvycj1rqfhi2o1_500.gif
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I see the term being applicable when comparing to photoshopped magazine pictures of women. Those aren't "real" women.
  • juiletflt
    Options
    The only time the term "real women" is somewhat acceptable, is when you're telling your male friends to stop dating girls and find themselves a "real" woman.

^^^ Love this!
  • CaddieMay
    CaddieMay Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    The "real" woman term is sad because I get to be a "real woman" for like 6 more months and then I'll go back to being fake and bashable by everyone I know because of my thinness/hotness. I'll probably lose some friends who are really nice to me right now, but have never seen me at goal weight. sad but true. it will be that i suddenly turned into a stuck up witch but in reality, i've been one all along.
    [/quote]

^^^^
    Lovin' this!