Do you wear your wedding band/engagement ring at the gym?

Options

Replies

• Priincess_Natalie
    Priincess_Natalie Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I wear my ring, always! It's not any more an option than my marriage. I wear gloves when I lift heavy. I may have to size my ring down eventually but I don't think it's going to slip off. If you're ring is that big either size it or get those plastic sizers that go on the back of the ring to temporarily hold it in place.

My wife and I have been married for over 20 years. We won't be any less married if we're not wearing a ring.

Agreed! I'm only 11 years in but couldn't agree with you more. :flowerforyou:

That's awesome. Just like I told him, we don't hold other couples to our standard. I think it's in our best interest to wear our rings but if you all feel comfortable without them then that's great too.
  • ThePersnicketyOtter
    Options
    I have to take mine off for things that would put pressure on my hand or things I have to grip that are heavy (like lifting weights) because it pinches my hand. But other than that I never take it off, even for work.
  • CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I don't wear any jewelry at the gym. My hands sometimes swell when I get hot and sweaty and rings can get uncomfortable. It's certainly not any reflection of my marriage and I don't see people wearing wedding rings at the gym as being more in love or having stronger marriages because of it. It's just my preference. I don't even wear jewelry at home. My ring goes on before I leave the house and I take it back off when I get home.
  • jlfoster0427
    Options
    I wear mine all the time when I work out. It is insured though if anything happens to it.
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I've removed my wedding band once in 15 years and it was for surgery.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I wear an engagement ring on my left hand, and a pretty fashion ring on my right hand. I run, I'm starting to lift, and haven't had any issues thus far.
    Even if it did scratch, I can always take it in for a polishing. If the polishing costs, then what is owning your relationship worth to you?
    If your ring breaks, then the place you purchased it from needs to replace it - because it's not supposed to do that.

Keep in mind that I am not married or engaged.

ETA: when I was married and in the process of losing 80# in 2 years, I had my ring resized often just for this purpose - I don't want to look single (even though I technically am)

Really? So when you go in to have it polished and have to leave it for 48 hrs is your relationship less now too bc you're not wearing a ring?

Edit-Keep in mind that lifting HEAVY, not cardio machines or Zumba actually does real damage to your rings and hands and can be painful. If you don't lift, then really it's not an issue. I don't remove them when I run.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Nope. Or when I'm working.

Google search 'degloving injury'
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I was a trainer for a long time and I had to take my wedding ring off. It would get bent and scuffed like crazy. However, I used to wear it on a necklace.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym... But I do take my rings off whenever I work out (running, DVD's, spin bike, etc). I do it because my fingers swell when I work out, especially on long runs.
  • indygal76
    indygal76 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I most always do. A couple of weeks ago, I didn't and some guy was hitting on me by the water fountains. I beelined for my hubby who was on a machine to show him I was there with someone. I won't make that mistake no more of not wearing it! LOL
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I always take it off and leave it in the locker if I'm lifting. There's three reasons.

1) I don't want it to get damaged from knurling.
    2) It often digs in to the callous on my hand and cuts me. Cuts = no bueno.
    3) I find it to be just generally uncomfortable.

If I'm just on the rower for a cardio session? My ring typically stays on.
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    I do wear them to the gym. However, my ultimate plan is to start lifting once I get my medical release; then I will likely leave them at home.

If it gets much bigger, I'll have to have the engagement ring resized (apparently my weight is coming off my hands and face first). My wedding band is a fede ring, so it can't be resized, but since we bought the sterling version, I can get another in a smaller size for very little.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I learned the hard way to never wear my e-ring while lifting anything heavy. I actually ended up damaging the ring and completely losing a side diamond. That was an expensive repair.

When I run, I'm often cold (my fingers shrink and I'm concerned about it falling off) or I'm hot, in which case my fingers swell up and any rings become uncomfortable.

So, for various reasons, I take my rings off to workout.
  • DispatcherLangmaid
    Options
    I do not wear mine at the gym, it tends to pinch when weight training and if running my fingers tend to swell a bit making it more difficult to get off. Just easier to not wear it.

yup!
  • piratemerdi
    piratemerdi Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I usually work out at home, but I take off my engagement ring. It's slightly big on me, so I don't want it sliding off, plus, gold is really soft and easily scratched, and I don't want to ruin it . It's also kind of a non-typical engagement ring, with a pearl instead of a diamond, so I'm really afraid of the pearl falling off or the prongs getting snagged on something.
  • Katey911
    Katey911 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I wear my engagement ring all the time - EXCEPT for my 2x weekly sessions with my personal trainer. She's nuts, I never know what she's going to have me do, and since my solitare sits up high a bit, I'm not willing to take the chance of anything happening to it.

If I'm working out on my own, or doing, say, a spinning class, I wear it.
  • RainingAngels
    Options
    I usually don't wear any jewelry when I go to the gym. I have a Juno Jewelry engagement ring with several small diamonds in the setting and the last thing I want is losing any of them because they got knocked out by striking a weight or getting caught in a glove. And the band will definitely get damaged, if not bent out of shape, if I'm not careful when gripping things. Perhaps if I have a tungsten or titanium band and the diamond setting doesn't protrude much, then yes, I would wear them in the gym.
  • kdb247
    kdb247 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Nope I didn't wear mine. Jewelry can get lost and or damaged in a gym. I'm happily divorced now so it's not a concern for the kid anymore. :)
  • jnewbold2000
    Options
    Yikes, wearing a ring at the gym isn't even comfortable, let alone safe. Ironsmasher is totally right on this one.
    My wife and I solved this problem when I misplaced my ring at work. Now I wear it every day at work, at the gym, even doing dishes. We have prototyped them and are trying to get some support pending a crowdfunding campaign. you can get a good look at them on our FB page at fb.com/ringsafe
  • Tigerman999
    Options
    On except when in group fitness classes......

Just kidding, haha