Protein?? How do I eat less of it

Options

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I would consider your protein "goal" to be a BARE MINIMUM. You want it to be red every day, preferably by a significant amount. Barring medical issues there are no downsides to consuming more protein. You will retain LBM better, your gains in the gym will be better and you will be less hungry. It's a no-lose situation.
  • ssteinbring677
    ssteinbring677 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Don't eat less protein.
    Eat more. Especially if your settings are standard the way MFP sets them up.

^^ I second this.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can eat too much protein! The worst osteoporosis in the world is among the Inuit people who eat mostly animal foods. Among the strongest bones in the world are the people in the mountains of Peru, where they eat very little animal foods. An average person can only use about 15-17 grams of protein per meal, the rest will be broken down, the amine part becomes urea, the acid part is burned as fuel or stored as fat. This lowers, or acidifies, the pH in the body, resulting in pulling minerals out of the bones to alkalize the blood which must be about pH of 7.4. I once treated a man for depression. (I am an RD/LDN) He had been a body builder and surfer in Hawaii. He drank a lot of whey protein shakes, which are acidifying to the blood. His spine lost its strength, and he had three surgeries to fuse it. Eat a well balanced diet. The RDA for protein is estimated at 150% of daily need. calculate by taking the body weight in kilos times 0.8 for men. Actual need is 2/3 of that. For women it is calculated as body weight in kilos times 0.66. Again, actual need is 2/3 that amount. These figures are for healthy people only. But the MFP recommendations for protein are NOT too low! They will protect you.

otay_zpse38172f8.png
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    In general, protein should make up 15-40% of your daily calorie intake. Some will argue a hair lower or higher, but it's a pretty large range already. Protein helps out a lot of bodily functions, so it's important to get a good amount. However, you want to also make sure you are getting enough fiber, as the fiber helps break down protein into the essential nutrients your body needs. Without fiber, eating too much or too little protein won't really matter. If you are using MFP generic numbers, as stated by other already, make sure to hit or go over your proteins AND fibers everyday if you can.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Just eat your food and stop worring about "starches or fats"

weight loss is about calories nothing else.

Protein consumption is overrated. Ask any vegan bodybuilders (cough cough).

If you eat normally, you will get what you need, if you don't your body will make sure whatever you get in is optimized. People keep on saying "you need protein for your muscles blah blah blah" Yet they don't know carbs are more muscle sparing than protein.

Vegan bodybuilders supplement with vegan proteins.

Can you please define EXACTLY what you mean by "carbs are more muscle sparing than protein" and under what conditions.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you got this idea that you should eat less protein. Forget it.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can eat too much protein! The worst osteoporosis in the world is among the Inuit people who eat mostly animal foods. Among the strongest bones in the world are the people in the mountains of Peru, where they eat very little animal foods. An average person can only use about 15-17 grams of protein per meal, the rest will be broken down, the amine part becomes urea, the acid part is burned as fuel or stored as fat. This lowers, or acidifies, the pH in the body, resulting in pulling minerals out of the bones to alkalize the blood which must be about pH of 7.4. I once treated a man for depression. (I am an RD/LDN) He had been a body builder and surfer in Hawaii. He drank a lot of whey protein shakes, which are acidifying to the blood. His spine lost its strength, and he had three surgeries to fuse it. Eat a well balanced diet. The RDA for protein is estimated at 150% of daily need. calculate by taking the body weight in kilos times 0.8 for men. Actual need is 2/3 of that. For women it is calculated as body weight in kilos times 0.66. Again, actual need is 2/3 that amount. These figures are for healthy people only. But the MFP recommendations for protein are NOT too low! They will protect you.
    I like how you started out there. Even if it doesn't have any sources. Good job at trying to make an argument with observations. You're half way there. You've worked hard. Take some time off. Take a trip to live with some of the Inuit people. Bring some milk or other calcium filled food. Share it. Read some books and figure out why a lot of the things you said were wrong before you come back.

And I love how you didn't mention that those protein recommendation are for a sedentary individual. Not to mention the other flaws:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/869015-fundamental-flaws-with-rda-recommendations-for-protein
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Sources?
    *waits for link to vegan propaganda website*

I'd especially like to see proof that a human can only metabolize 15-17g protein per meal. That myth was debunked long ago.
  • CoderGal
    Options

If you eat normally, you will get what you need, if you don't your body will make sure whatever you get in is optimized. People keep on saying "you need protein for your muscles blah blah blah" Yet they don't know carbs are more muscle sparing than protein.
    So, I personally do not know of any vegan builders but there are some...But I just went through my vegetarian lifter friends diary she eats significantly more protein then me that is higher then the recommendation. And then I checked my non lifting vegan friends diary and she also eats more then the recommendation. There was also a vegan guy who stopped by my parents house who is big on protein...it solved allot of his health problems.

Also, all studies I have ever read comparing a high protein diet to any other seems to indicate that you retain more muscle with a high protein diet. I've yet to see one that shows increasing any of the other macro-nutrients retains muscle any better.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Sources?
    *waits for link to vegan propaganda website*

I'd especially like to see proof that a human can only metabolize 15-17g protein per meal. That myth was debunked long ago.

I would love to see some credible sources for all those comments also.
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Have you tried putting less protein into your mouth? I don't mean to be (overly) offensive, but really- there's no real secret to eating less of something.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    For info about your macros (proteins/fats/carbs) - check out this link. It will give you the formula to figure out your #s and also how to custom change them in MFP:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

For more information about fitness and nutrition, I highly suggest checking out and joining this group: (Read all the stickies. It's great information to know.)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/865230-resources-and-references
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Eat your protein...

1305799043_ham_face_girl.gif
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Eat your protein...

1305799043_ham_face_girl.gif

Warn a girl first! I just spit coffee all over my laptop!
  • mommamills
    Options
    Why would you want to eat less protein??
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to eat less protein??
    Most likely because people see those red numbers in their diary totals and automatically assume it means they're doing something wrong (which is certainly *not* the case when it comes to protein, especially when set at MFP defaults.)
  • CoderGal
    Options

So, I personally do not know of any vegan builders but there are some...But I just went through my vegetarian lifter friends diary she eats significantly more protein then me that is higher then the recommendation. And then I checked my non lifting vegan friends diary and she also eats more then the recommendation. There was also a vegan guy who stopped by my parents house who is big on protein...it solved allot of his health problems.

Also, all studies I have ever read comparing a high protein diet to any other seems to indicate that you retain more muscle with a high protein diet. I've yet to see one that shows increasing any of the other macro-nutrients retains muscle any better.

Steroids and muscle growth

There was a steroid study that contained 43 men who were experienced weight lifters. There were 4 groups in the study.
    * Group 1: NO EXERCISE + NO STERIODS
    * Group 2: EXERCISE + NO STERIODS
    * Group 3: NO EXERCISE + WEEKLY STEROID INJECTION
    * Group 4: EXERCISE + WEEKLY STEROID INJECTION.

Each member of this study consumed roughly 120g of protein (which is on the lower side of current recommendations) and about 16calories per pound of bodyweight.

Group 1: no gain in LBM
    Group 2: gained 4.5lbs
    Group 3: gained more than group 1
    Group 4: gained over 13lbs of LBM

120g of protein was sufficient protein to be able to build up to 13lbs of LBM.
    [Bhasin S, 1996].

Lacto-ovo vegeterians

Lacto-ovo vegeterians(I’ll just call them veggie’s for short) Consume about 79g of protein and about 450 calories less than non-vegetarians. Non veggie’s consume about 138g of protein on a daily basis. Both groups in this study gained between 2-5lbs of LBM. The point of this study is to show once you meet the minimum requirements you don’t need more protein. Remember 5lbs of LBM is what can be gained with a good resistance plan. In this study both groups came close to average results, even the veggies who ate very low amounts of protein.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14600563

Renal Disease

People with renal disease must consume low amounts of protein to delay their disease. They must under 0.3g of protein per pound of body weight. A man of 160lbs would consume 48g of protein. Their disease is highly catabolic(breaks down their muscles). One group lifted weights while the other group did not. Even with ridiculous low amount of protein the group that lifted weights had a slight increase of LBM. The group who didn’t do any resistance training? They lost 7lbs of LBM. This shows how powerful resistance training can be.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11730397

Excessive calories

In this study both groups consumed 2010 calories in addition to their normal daily intake. Group 1 also consumed an additional 106g of protein and group 2 consumed only an extra 24g of protein. The results are group 1 gained 6lbs of lBM and group 2 gained 7.5lbs while consuming roughly 120g of protein total. Yes the LOWER protein group gained LBM than the higher protein group.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11591884

I think there is 10 studies all together.

• Tarnopolsky et al. (1992) observed no differences in whole body protein synthesis or indexes of lean body mass in strength athletes consuming either 0.64g/lb or 1.10g/lb over a 2 week period. Protein oxidation did increase in the high protein group, indicating a nutrient overload.
    • Walberg et al. (1988) found that 0.73g/lb was sufficient to maintain positive nitrogen balance in cutting weightlifters over a 7 day time period.
    • Tarnopolsky et al. (1988) found that only 0.37g/lb was required to maintain positive nitrogen balance in elite bodybuilders (over 5 years of experience, possible previous use of androgens) over a 10 day period. 0.45g/lb was sufficient to maintain lean body mass in bodybuilders over a 2 week period. The authors suggested that 0.55g/lb was sufficient for bodybuilders.
    • Lemon et al. (1992) found no differences in muscle mass or strength gains in novice bodybuilders consuming either 0.61g/lb or 1.19g/lb over a 4 week period. Based on nitrogen balance data, the authors recommended 0.75g/lb.
    • Hoffman et al. (2006) found no differences in body composition, strength or resting hormonal concentrations in strength athletes consuming either 0.77g/lb or >0.91g/lb over a 3 month period.
    LOL this again? The last time I seen you post this people argued with you for 6 pages and noted you had incorrect info from the beginning, changed it again (group info), got the results wrong, and others also noted info was left out (they were also taking creatine) and Acg67 kept telling you why you were incorrect over everything you said. If anyone wants to discuss it they should check out the thread you posted it in:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/787083-muscle-growth-protein-recommendations-highly-over-rated

Given that those intelligent scientific minded people I know read it still agree the protein recommendations are low, I'm not going to read all that all over again. Not to mention since I upped my protein my nails and hair got nicer :)
  • yrammack1
    Options
    I AM OVER AS WELL.....BUT I KNOW MY BODY AND I NEED MY PROTEIN SNACKS TO FEEL ENERGIZED DURING THE DAY...I WILL SEE IF THIS PLAYS A ROLE ONCE I START LOSING (OR DONT LOSE)......NEW TO THIS...KIND OF TRIAL AND ERROR
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    LOL this again? The last time I seen you post this people argued with you for 6 pages and noted you had incorrect info from the beginning, changed it again (group info), got the results wrong, and others also noted info was left out (they were also taking creatine) and Acg67 kept telling you why you were incorrect over everything you said. If anyone wants to discuss it they should check out the thread you posted it in:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/787083-muscle-growth-protein-recommendations-highly-over-rated

Given that those intelligent scientific minded people I know read it still agree the protein recommendations are low, I'm not going to read all that all over again. Not to mention since I upped my protein my nails and hair got nicer :)

Just ignore him, he's MFP's anti-protein troll. The worst part is, even if he was right, he's got no point. If we pretend he's right, and you don't REQUIRE lots of protein to build or maintain muscle, having MORE than the recommended amount is not detrimental. All of the studies that show that a high protein diet will build more muscle, make better gains in the gym, maintain LBM better, etc will even concede that if you eat more than their recommended amount, there are diminishing returns but THERE ARE STILL RETURNS WITH NO NEGATIVES. Read carefully: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2129150/ (most recommendations were in the 1.2g-2.2g per kg of body mass, I believe averaging out to 1.8g/kg)

Long story short, there is no downside to eating lots of protein, barring a rare medical condition. I repeat, there is no reason NOT to consume lots of protein. I recommend at least 1g per lb of lean body mass, personally. Even if you never go in the gym a day in your life, at the bare minimum it will help with satiety which can be PARAMOUNT to most people adhering to their diet.
  • mommamills
    Options
    I aim to get my protein and my fibre into the red every day.

me too!!