General Comment About People Who Don't Lift

Options

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Do I have amazing powers of observation, or is it obvious to everyone else which people are posting here to validate their own decisions?
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    To her point, you are being almost as dismissive of things like yoga and walking as you claim chicks are being about lifting.

Think you quoted the wrong person. :) I love cardio. I am not dismissive of any physical activity. I am dismissive of the idea that only lifters look good.

I was agreeing with you, and disagreeing with the person you were responding to. I assume you're a woman (hence to 'her' point) because of your profile pic.

Edit, 'you' in my phrase is the person you were responding to (storm)...I thought it was a clear statement, guess not.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    To her point, you are being almost as dismissive of things like yoga and walking as you claim chicks are being about lifting.

Think you quoted the wrong person. :) I love cardio. I am not dismissive of any physical activity. I am dismissive of the idea that only lifters look good.

I was agreeing with you, and disagreeing with the person you were responding to. I assume you're a woman (hence to 'her' point) because of your profile pic.

Edit, 'you' in my phrase is the person you were responding to (storm)...I thought it was a clear statement, guess not.

My reading comprehension is -100 in the morning. Not enough coffee. Too much MFP. :P
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Do I have amazing powers of observation, or is it obvious to everyone else which people are posting here to validate their own decisions?

I'm not. I don't care if people lift weights. I don't believe all exercise is good if it's done properly. I encourage anyone that wants to lift weights to do so. I actually wish I enjoyed lifting for the same reason I wish I enjoyed running. Not because I think I can't be fit or attractive without it, but because it's good exercise and if I enjoyed it, I'd do it more.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

I'm not. I don't care if people lift weights. I don't believe all exercise is good if it's done properly. I encourage anyone that wants to lift weights to do so. I actually wish I enjoyed lifting for the same reason I wish I enjoyed running. Not because I think I can't be fit or attractive without it, but because it's good exercise and if I enjoyed it, I'd do it more.

I'm not either. I'm only reacting to the people who are treating heavy lifting as the only effective exercise for everyone, without considering their goals, physical condition, and body type.
  • stormsusmc
    stormsusmc Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Being lean is diet...Being fit is fitness...Simple.

Most of those yoga and cardio bunnies may look lean, but that's because the majority of them eat like rabbits..Not to mention they don't really have any functional muscle, and are flat all over. Still there is nothing wrong with yoga for the calming effects on the mind, as well as flexibility. If you're a woman and in here defending not lifting heavy then you are seriously missing out. You have not fully educated yourself on both sides of the spectrum. Go ahead be flat and boring....or do your research and try lifting. Most don't like it because they get sore, or don't know what they are doing, but again that goes back to lack of knowledge...

Yes, every woman that doesn't lift is repulsive. We all know that.

My point exactly, your ability to read and decipher what I have said in order to draw that extemely accurate conclusion is astonishing. I appreciate your sarcastic twist to what I said instead of being objective. Enjoy your cortisol!

Doesn't take much to come to that conclusion when you make statements such as;

"Go ahead and be flat and boring..."

I said in no way are they repulsive that's quite extreme, what I said was flat and boring. That is my opinion. Choose to like that and be reactive to it that is your right and doesn't bother me, or you could choose to be objective and read the rest of what was said. Which was educate yourself about both spectrums before you dismiss lifting because you simply don't like how it makes your body feel the first time you do it, or how you think you'll turn into sheman....I also did not deny the benefits of yoga, running, or other cardio...I do it daily.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

I'm not either. I'm only reacting to the people who are treating heavy lifting as the only effective exercise for everyone, without considering their goals, physical condition, and body type.

The only people I've seen for whom lifting is not the single best exercise they could possibly do are people with severe injuries or defects that don't allow them to lift. Or people who play a specific sport at a high level and need specific training that may not involve lifting. That's it.

If you've got 5 hours a week to spend exercising, you should be spending 3-4 hours of it doing lifting.
  • penrbrown
    Options
    I said in no way are they repulsive that's quite extreme, what I said was flat and boring. That is my opinion. Choose to like that and be reactive to it that is your right and doesn't bother me, or you could choose to be objective and read the rest of what was said. Which was educate yourself about both spectrums before you dismiss lifting because you simply don't like how it makes your body feel the first time you do it, or how you think you'll turn into sheman....I also did not deny the benefits of yoga, running, or other cardio...I do it daily.

I think we're all reacting quite strongly because people HAVE said only lifters look good. Only lifters are sexy. Only lifters etc... and we're all a bit tired of hearing it.

There's no need to body shame people to try and force them into lifting.
  • stormsusmc
    stormsusmc Posts: 228 Member
    Options

I think we're all reacting quite strongly because people HAVE said only lifters look good. Only lifters are sexy. Only lifters etc... and we're all a bit tired of hearing it.

Well being reactive instead of objective is what you choose then that's fine. I didn't shame anyone, again I said my opinion like it or not. I then went on to say, educate yourself about both spectrums before you defend just one....
  • penrbrown
    Options

Well being reactive instead of objective is what you choose then that's fine. I didn't shame anyone, again I said my opinion like it or not. I then went on to say, educate yourself about both spectrums before you defend just one....

:) No, you're right. You shouldn't get pushed under the bus because others have been *kitten*.

Who's to say I'm not educated on the subject of lifting? :D You make your own assumptions, you know?
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Who's to say I'm not educated on the subject of lifting? :D You make your own assumptions, you know?

Just my perspective, but it certainly appears you are not.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options

:laugh: I enjoyed the two immediate denials. But yes, unfortunately, this is human nature. We all generally hold beliefs that validate choices we've already made. Such is life.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    People will deny things they don't want to believe.
  • penrbrown
    Options

Just my perspective, but it certainly appears you are not.

Actually, I lift. I just don't push it on the world at large, nor do I do it for 'health' reasons or to be 'sexier' then everyone else. I do it because it's fun. :) Plain and simple.
  • shewearsfunnyhat
    shewearsfunnyhat Posts: 24 Member
    Options

Women dont bulk up the way men do. Most women dont have the amount of testosterone needed to produce large bulky muscles. Lifting some weights or doing body weight calisthenics will help you get a toned look that you may not achieve by doing only cardio.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If you (a general you, not directed at any one person) don't want to lift... fine, don't lift. But if someone's spreading misinformation (It'll make you bulky, you won't look graceful, you won't look feminine, you'll look like a man, etc.) I'll counter it.

If someone says "I don't want to life weights because I just want to be slim," it's made me and a lot of other women look a lot slimmer.

If someone says "I lead a very active life and do all these other things, and I don't think it's necessary for me," cool. Really, I mean it. Good for you.

If someone says "I don't want to life weights because none of the benefits matter to me," that's a shame, but I can't make them care.
  • penrbrown
    Options

Women dont bulk up the way men do. Most women dont have the amount of testosterone needed to produce large bulky muscles. Lifting some weights or doing body weight calisthenics will help you get a toned look that you may not achieve by doing only cardio.

Yes. I know this. I am well aware of this. Thank you so much for enlightening... no, scratch that. Thank you for wasting your own time sharing information that is really quite well known around the forums.
  • penrbrown
    Options
    If you don't want to lift... fine, don't lift. But if someone's spreading misinformation (It'll make you bulky, you won't look graceful, you won't look feminine, you'll look like a man, etc.) I'll counter it.

If someone says "I don't want to life weights because I just want to be slim," it's made me and a lot of other women look a lot slimmer.

If someone says "I lead a very active life and do all these other things, and I don't think it's necessary for me," cool. Really, I mean it. Good for you.

If someone says "I don't want to life weights because none of the benefits matter to me," that's a shame, but I can't make them care.

I agree, actually. And thanks for your input in the thread. At least you aren't proclaiming that skinny fat women are unsexy and unattractive. :)
  • jonnythan
    Options
    If you (a general you, not directed at any one person) don't want to lift... fine, don't lift. But if someone's spreading misinformation (It'll make you bulky, you won't look graceful, you won't look feminine, you'll look like a man, etc.) I'll counter it.

What a great post.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I agree, actually. And thanks for your input in the thread. At least you aren't proclaiming that skinny fat women are unsexy and unattractive. :)

Well if we're keeping score, I think they are. A human body is a terrible to thing to waste, and letting your muscles deteriorate to the point where you can have a BMI of 17 with 25% body fat is a shame. It just tells me "lazy and shallow."

It means the only thing in the world you care about is appearance. Not health, not strength, not ability, not potential, not improving yourself. Just conforming.