General Comment About People Who Don't Lift

Options

Replies

• penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I agree, actually. And thanks for your input in the thread. At least you aren't proclaiming that skinny fat women are unsexy and unattractive. :)

Well if we're keeping score, I think they are. A human body is a terrible to thing to waste, and letting your muscles deteriorate to the point where you can have a BMI of 17 with 25% body fat is a shame. It just tells me "lazy and shallow."

It means the only thing in the world you care about is appearance. Not health, not strength, not ability, not potential, not improving yourself. Just conforming.

Can you see your own hypocrisy??? You're... trolling. Right? You must be.

Not lifting = unattractive.
    Lift to look good.
    But non lifters are shallow and only losing weight to look good...

???? Please tell me I'm misunderstanding you.
  • leighdiane91
    leighdiane91 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I don't really understand why people make it like you have to do one or the other. I do both. I don't see a problem with either, I enjoy both and I feel like I am getting what I need from both sides of it.

This. I run for 30 mins on the treadmill and have specific cardio goals, but I also lift for 30 mins after I run. I love doing both, for different reasons.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I agree, actually. And thanks for your input in the thread. At least you aren't proclaiming that skinny fat women are unsexy and unattractive. :)

Well if we're keeping score, I think they are. A human body is a terrible to thing to waste, and letting your muscles deteriorate to the point where you can have a BMI of 17 with 25% body fat is a shame. It just tells me "lazy and shallow."

It means the only thing in the world you care about is appearance. Not health, not strength, not ability, not potential, not improving yourself. Just conforming.

Lift to look good.

No, not lift to look good. People who lift *do* look good, but I don't lift to look good. Lifting to look good is a terrible reason to lift.

People who diet and lose weight to the point of being "skinny and fat" as you say are doing it only to look good. That's it. There's no other reason to diet to the point of skinny. They're not doing it for health, because it's unhealthy. They're not doing it to get stronger, because they get weaker.

The point is that lifting is extremely healthy. It's actually good for you. It makes you better at other things.

The point is that people who want to be skinnyfat are in it 100% for appearances and nothing else, and looking that way tells me "I only did this to look nice." Someone who lifts may or may not be doing it for what I would consider "good" reasons, but at least I know it is probably a good reason.
  • alexisu96
    alexisu96 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Being lean is diet...Being fit is fitness...Simple.

Most of those yoga and cardio bunnies may look lean, but that's because the majority of them eat like rabbits..Not to mention they don't really have any functional muscle, and are flat all over. Still there is nothing wrong with yoga for the calming effects on the mind, as well as flexibility. If you're a woman and in here defending not lifting heavy then you are seriously missing out. You have not fully educated yourself on both sides of the spectrum. Go ahead be flat and boring....or do your research and try lifting. Most don't like it because they get sore, or don't know what they are doing, but again that goes back to lack of knowledge...

Have you ever done yoga? Google crow pose, do that and hold for 10 seconds. Is it muscle or the power or "om"??
  • libby328
    libby328 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I didnt read through the entire post but my opinion on "lifting" is the benifits it has for the mentallity! I started feeling stronger long before any out side improvment was shown! I loved that! Noticing how much better you feel was way more important to me then what I looked like naked! And then came the physical changes, you would be shocked at how the body changes when you do a bit light lifting! Sure it might all be shallow reasons but they were the main things that kept me going! I felt sexier and heathier at 125 when I was lifting everyday then I ever did at 102 when I wasnt doing anything besides sitting on my booty watching tv!
  • penrbrown
    Options

Lift to look good.

No, not lift to look good. People who lift *do* look good, but I don't lift to look good. Lifting to look good is a terrible reason to lift.

People who diet and lose weight to the point of being "skinny and fat" as you say are doing it only to look good. That's it. There's no other reason to diet to the point of skinny. They're not doing it for health, because it's unhealthy. They're not doing it to get stronger, because they get weaker.

The point is that lifting is extremely healthy. It's actually good for you. It makes you better at other things.

The point is that people who want to be skinnyfat are in it 100% for appearances and nothing else, and looking that way tells me "I only did this to look nice." Someone who lifts may or may not be doing it for what I would consider "good" reasons, but at least I know it is probably a good reason.

Hmmm. Good points. :) So if one lifted merely to look good you would see them as equally shallow as one who starves merely to look good?
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options

Think you quoted the wrong person. :) I love cardio. I am not dismissive of any physical activity. I am dismissive of the idea that only lifters look good.

^^^^ this ....

and I'm going to add that it's a myth only bone lifters will not suffer bone loss. If a person wants to lift..let them...if a person wants to walk -- let them. Everybody needs to stop trying to be experts on what is right.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Hmmm. Good points. :) So if one lifted merely to look good you would see them as equally shallow as one who starves merely to look good?

I think that would be shallow and stupid, yes. But at least they'd be getting the health benefits of lifting as opposed to starving their lean mass away.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I also did not deny the benefits of yoga, running, or other cardio...I do it daily.
    You also didn't mention it originally, you said cardio bunnies and yoga fanatics were flat and boring. If you're encouraging people to educate themselves on both spectrums don't you think it would've been important to mention upfront that you did cardio and yoga dailing along with your lifting program?
    Who's to say I'm not educated on the subject of lifting? :D You make your own assumptions, you know?
    Just my perspective, but it certainly appears you are not.
    If we're going by perspectives, it doesn't really look like you lift all that much either.
    While I love lifting, and wouldn't give it up for all but the most vital of things, not everyone holds the same views. I think the woman who's a buck ten and struggles to shoulder a 30 pound backpack but is in the peace corps saving lives has a lot more strength, ability, and potential than the cyber warriors arguing about the merit of lifting weights. It's an extreme example, but I think a valid one. I'm fairly certain that I'm stronger than you, does that make me somehow better than you on that information alone? No, of course not.
  • penrbrown
    Options

I think that would be shallow and stupid, yes. But at least they'd be getting the health benefits of lifting as opposed to starving their lean mass away.

If they're starving and doing cardio they are working one muscle. ;)

Rather a strong heart then no exercise at all.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    If we're going by perspectives, it doesn't really look like you lift all that much either.
    If we're going by perceptions, you really should see a doctor about that jaundiced look. :laugh:
  • jonnythan
    Options

I used to be fat. I was over 205 pounds at 5'9. I put on 12 pounds of lean mass a couple of years back and got to about 11% body fat. If I had gotten to 11% body fat without lifting, I would have been 110 pounds, not 153.

But anyway, then I tore my psoas major. Took a long time to recover from that, as I'm sure you could imagine.

I just got back under the bar about a month ago.

But, hey, thanks for being a jerk.
  • shortchange1
    shortchange1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Remember, lifting weights doesn't necessarily mean that the weights you lift have to be metal objects on a metal bar. Lifting heavy can mean picking up a 40 pound toddler and carrying them through the grocery store which is the equivalent or better than a series of walking lunges. Or, if you have to bend down, holding that toddler (who is often wiggling), to pick up a cereal box, viola! A weighted squat.

I've done weight training since I was in my 20s and I'm now 60. With the exception of last year, when I suffered with some over-use injuries as a result of teaching Spinning classes (6-8 classes weekly for 14 years), my weight and BF has always been in the healthy range. I've been a NASM trained personal trainer since 2001 and start every client on resistance training exercise immediately whether that resistance comes from their body weight, bands, weights or a combination of stuff. They get faster results when resistance training is combined with cardio and flexibility and a good diet than if they were to do only one mode of training.
  • libby328
    libby328 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    from personal experience when I was starving myself and running 3 hours a day I ended up in the hospital. Just from personal experience if you are starving yourself I dont see anyway to fix the strain on your heart (just personal experience I know not everyone is the same). That was 6 years ago and to this day I have to wear a heart monitor 3x a year for 30 days to make sure my ticker is still working correctly! I just wanted to mention that to anyone that was here doing the anorexic thing. Do not risk your health to be skinny believe me it is not at all worth it! That is what threw me into lifting and strength training. I needed something to focus on to allow myself to appreciate the body that I had and worry less about the number on the scale! I personally feel like when you life you do tend to feel better all around, mentally feeling better leads to seeing yourself in a better physical light as well!
  • stormsusmc
    stormsusmc Posts: 228 Member
    Options

Most of those yoga and cardio bunnies may look lean, but that's because the majority of them eat like rabbits..Not to mention they don't really have any functional muscle, and are flat all over. Still there is nothing wrong with yoga for the calming effects on the mind, as well as flexibility. If you're a woman and in here defending not lifting heavy then you are seriously missing out. You have not fully educated yourself on both sides of the spectrum. Go ahead be flat and boring....or do your research and try lifting. Most don't like it because they get sore, or don't know what they are doing, but again that goes back to lack of knowledge...

Have you ever done yoga? Google crow pose, do that and hold for 10 seconds. Is it muscle or the power or "om"??

Yes I've done yoga not to the extreme where it runs my life, basic classes with friends. I do all other forms of fitness as well. My main focus however is lifting and I'm an advocate for woman to lift. If you'd like to ask my capabilities I can planche, but never done the crow pose Thanks for your input.
  • Gettinyoung
    Options

Crow pose - awesome, and other arm balances - takes alot of strength - if fact, lifting helps me do these better! Yoga is no joke though. I'd say it should be the base to any fitness plan...strength, focus, flexibility... helps you get in touch with your real goals and aspirations. Its not about competition or who's looking. It's a personal thing. Love it.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

I used to be fat. I was over 205 pounds at 5'9. I put on 12 pounds of lean mass a couple of years back and got to about 11% body fat. If I had gotten to 11% body fat without lifting, I would have been 110 pounds, not 153.

But anyway, then I tore my psoas major. Took a long time to recover from that, as I'm sure you could imagine.

I just got back under the bar about a month ago.

But, hey, thanks for being a jerk.

I was making a point, you're being awfully judgemental as well.

If you're working to better yourself and get healthier more power to you. People can better themselves and become healthier even if they don't lift weights. If they're doing that, I think that's a good thing. I don't think that makes them shallow or lazy. There are MANY ways to achieve greater health and fitness, I think people that try to argue absolutes in that area are misguided. There are absolutes, but they have to do with things like scientific laws, not the superiority of weight lifting to yoga.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    If you're working to better yourself and get healthier more power to you. People can better themselves and become healthier even if they don't lift weights. If they're doing that, I think that's a good thing. I don't think that makes them shallow or lazy. There are MANY ways to achieve greater health and fitness, I think people that try to argue absolutes in that area are misguided. There are absolutes, but they have to do with things like scientific laws, not the superiority of weight lifting to yoga.

I never said a word about yoga. Don't confuse my words with those of other people.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

I never said a word about yoga. Don't confuse my words with those of other people.

You've made some valid points in this thread but the agressive and judgemental rhetoric does you no service. You might want to consider toning that down.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The only people I've seen for whom lifting is not the single best exercise they could possibly do are people with severe injuries or defects that don't allow them to lift. Or people who play a specific sport at a high level and need specific training that may not involve lifting. That's it.

But really, given how many people there are in the world, you've seen very, very few. And considering how closed your mind is on the subject, I doubt you considered any other options. The "best" exercise for anyone is one they enjoy enough to do often.