Please stop saying everything is starvation mode...

Options

Replies

• K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I went into starvation mode just reading thru this thread.

Dont go to sleep. Dont wanna risk starving. Must eat snack every 32.7 seconds or risk the metabolism fire not being stoked 24/7
  • JetzGurl
    JetzGurl Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I can have days where I struggle to eat my base of 1200 and I get so tired of hearing "I'm worried about you, you're not eating enough" I'm not starving myself, I'm just not hungry!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    yeah,,, i am in the intermittent fasting group, and yeah, yeah, yeah,
    I AM STARVING!!!! ha ha ha
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I agree i get sick of hearing this and this road map **** from Dan that every one tries to preach to u!!!!! Im not saying he is wrong but come on let people do their own thing with out criticizing i got treated like crap because of this and its not right if i was doing so crappy why have i lost so much weight just saying!

Sounds like someone is jealous of those of us eating real food and losing weight. Hangry much?

Dan's the man. He knows his *kitten*!
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I agree i get sick of hearing this and this road map **** from Dan that every one tries to preach to u!!!!! Im not saying he is wrong but come on let people do their own thing with out criticizing i got treated like crap because of this and its not right if i was doing so crappy why have i lost so much weight just saying!

Sounds like someone is jealous of those of us eating real food and losing weight. Hangry much?

Thats not what hes saying at all. Hes saying STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT BEING IN STARVATION MODE if you miss a snack or meal on whatever program you are on. Its annoying to him because ITS NOT TRUE. That is all. Everyone has to get so defensive about what they are doing.

I meant the OP....not the guy who posted about the road map. LOL
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I eat real food...and I lose body fat...

I don't believe anyone is being critical of Dan as the poster said they do not believe he is wrong..they are just sick of being told they are in starvation mode when they are not..

Perhaps, you should read what is posted before accusing others..??
  • katedevall
    katedevall Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I go into starvation mode anytime I miss my evening bowl of ice cream.

Ahh I love this <3
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    :smile: :drinker:
  • varresa
    Options
    The My Fitness Pal site doesn't help this conversation in that when you finish entering your food diary for the day, even if you are below your calorie target by 50 calories, it warns you of going into starvation mode.

This was mine last night, when I was at 1145 calories out of 1200:

"*Based on your total calories consumed for today, you are eating too few calories. Not only is it difficult to receive adequate nutrition at these calorie levels, but you could also be putting your body into starvation mode. Starvation mode lowers your metabolism and makes weight loss more difficult. We suggest increasing your calorie consumption to 1,200 calories per day minimum."
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    There is a member here who says that the phrase "starvation mode" is a bit of a misnomer, that's it's more "malnutrition mode" than anything else. Just that prolonged periods (say weeks at a time) of eating below BMR can weaken your body and make it start processing things wonky.

I know for me that hunger can actually be a build-up process. I did just fine on 1200 for two and a half weeks. Day by day, didn't feel too hungry at all, until WHAM that third week and I was suddenly sick with hunger ALL THE TIME. One of those "it has to catch up to you" things. Turns out that for me, that calorie goal wasn't coming in even close to covering my daily activity needs, which might not have been "starvation mode", but definitely malnutrition mode.

It is possible to be consuming less than your BMR or 1200 calories or whatever you believe your magic number needs to be to lose weight, but still not be malnourished and therefore not in "starvation mode".

You would actually need to sit down and configure your Kcals with a dietician to determine your nutritional status.

It's not just lack of calories that defines starvation, it is lack of nutrients in those calories. Are you eating "good" or "bad".

It is possible for an obese person to be malnoruished but that's a whole different can of worms... :glasses:
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    platecurtfleenor_606.jpg

I need bacon or I'll go into starvation mode......
  • Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I'm picking up what you're putting down... I get frustrated when say one day I was just not feeling well, not hungry whatever and didn't eat all my calories for the day MFP will give me a warning about "starvation mode'. I am aware that if for some reason I skip a meal i will not be in starvation mode and MFP needs to shut up. lol

But it will also congratulate you for finishing your diary and coming in under your calorie goal! It needs to shut up AND make up its mind!

if i was a cat, id like to believe id look like the one in your pic!

He's not fat, he's just got a lot of pressure per square inch!

hahaha that actually made me laugh out loud - :laugh:
  • MJackson54
    Options
    Absolutely! Agreed! I hate it when MFP continually says I am under calorie goal! I eat a well balanced, clean, nutritous diet, workout in a fasted state (overnight) and am losing body fat appropriately. I'm healthy, eat when I'm hungry, don't when I'm not.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    It is possible to be consuming less than your BMR or 1200 calories or whatever you believe your magic number needs to be to lose weight, but still not be malnourished and therefore not in "starvation mode".

You would actually need to sit down and configure your Kcals with a dietician to determine your nutritional status.

It's not just lack of calories that defines starvation, it is lack of nutrients in those calories. Are you eating "good" or "bad".

It is possible for an obese person to be malnourished but that's a whole different can of worms... :glasses:

But the slowing of metabolism is not a myth. Maybe it needs a snazzy new name like "Conservation mode," but the fact remains that after extended time of calorie cutting, your BMR drops, and can drop fairly significantly. The "Starvation mode" experiment found drops of up to 40%; other research I've seen using smaller calorie deficits found drops of 10-25%. If you use the 40% number, it's pretty easy for a woman to drop her BMR to less than 1000, meaning that you're doing all that self-denial and not actually achieving much of a total deficit.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    The My Fitness Pal site doesn't help this conversation in that when you finish entering your food diary for the day, even if you are below your calorie target by 50 calories, it warns you of going into starvation mode.

"*Based on your total calories consumed for today, you are eating too few calories. Not only is it difficult to receive adequate nutrition at these calorie levels, but you could also be putting your body into starvation mode. Starvation mode lowers your metabolism and makes weight loss more difficult. We suggest increasing your calorie consumption to 1,200 calories per day minimum."

I see no problem with that message. Maybe I'm in the minority but I'd rather err on the side of caution and address undereating head on so that it doesn't become routine.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I see no problem with that message. Maybe I'm in the minority but I'd rather err on the side of caution and address undereating head on so that it doesn't become routine.

UMMMMM but it is not starvation mode...
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

UMMMMM but it is not starvation mode...

I don't really care--it's a matter of semantics...a technicality. The message is not improper. So I don't get hung up on "starvation mode"...it's easier for MOST people to understand than going into the science of metabolic adaptation and hormonal issues associated with undereating.
  • chimp517
    chimp517 Posts: 185 Member
    Options

I would assume MFP does that for liability reasons
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    This post is caused by starvation mode.
  • fightininggirl
    fightininggirl Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    thank you for posting this and debunking the starvation mode crap. I get so tired of hearing that