Morbidly Obese mother files complaint

Options

Replies

• DeeBrownBaker
    Options
    At my highest weight, 357, I was healthy. Granted, I was too heavy, but my numbers were just fine. My blood pressure, heart rate, cholesterol, blood sugar, thyroid, triglycerides, etc were all within normal levels. No diabetes. No high blood pressure. None of the issues many obese people have. Doctors were usually pretty shocked.

My point is, you can't assume she isn't healthy just because of her weight. If she's speaking in terms of bloodwork alone, she may be right. On paper, I was perfectly healthy (if you ignored my BMI). Still am. I've lost 54 pounds, and I'm sure my numbers are about the same or better. Am I a healthy weight? Heck no. Am I healthy, generally? Yes.

I don't think it's right that he lied to her. He should have explained her options. He took the chicken way out of it, and that's wrong.

I have to call BS on this. I have never had problems with my BP, I have never had problems with my cholesterol, diabetes or anything like that either. But just because those vital stats are ok does not mean you are healthy. At 260 pounds, all my stats were good too, but it made me sick to my stomach to walk for 20 minutes. It took me losing 50lbs to realize how unhealthy I actually was and how much potential I was lacking physically. Denial is a horrible thing.

I have to call BS on you, dear. I currently weigh close to 300lbs. I am also pregnant. My blood pressure was taken yesterday and was 101/70. All of my stats are awesome. I can RUN up and down stairs no problem. I can EASILY walk more than 20 minutes. With no pain. And I do. All of the time. In the summer I walk around the small lake near our house 1-2 times per week and that is a 4 mile walk and I do it in a little over an hour. I have a close friend who just had a baby last year and she in in the healthy weight range. She had super high blood pressure and had to be put on bed rest for a month and induced three weeks early. Health is relative. It depends much more on genetics, how much you move your body, and what you put into it... than what you weigh. I am not saying that I am "healthy" because I know that carrying around the extra weight puts a strain on my body. Which is why I am here and working on it. But dont sit in your smug little corner and pick at those around you. I dont know why you even posted this? Does it make you feel superior? It shouldn't.

^^^This

I had a baby at 38 and was morbidly obese...my DOCTOR said I was healthy.... no blood work problems... no health problems... argue with that!!

yes the weight was not in a healthy range but my doctor only deemed my pregnancy "high risk" because of my age... not my size... C section went fine after 18 hrs of labor ... 8 yrs later, healthy happy boy... and a slightly less obese mama!

I have seen smaller women have more complications than I experienced.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Incidentally, it's funny that almost everybody is referring to the doctor as "he" even though s/he's referred to as "she" in the article!

In the OP: "The doctor told her it was policy of the hospital, which it isn't, but the hospital he asked her to deliver in has better neonatal care"

Sorry that we were going on what the OP said instead of reading the article!
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Just wants some money...workin the system. Let me call a lawyer the pickles on my hamburger burned my lip.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I had a baby at 38 and was morbidly obese...my DOCTOR said I was healthy.... no blood work problems... no health problems... argue with that!!

Morbidly obese is not healthy. Your blood work could be fine. Your BP could be fine. You can be disease free. Your weight was not in a healthy range. Your doctor should never have said, "You're healthy" if you were morbidly obese.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why the doctor said it is policy to go to the other hospital if you weigh over 350 pounds. Being direct and telling the pregnant woman to go to the other hospital for better care for her and for her baby just seems like a simpler route. Too bad the article didn't have a quote directly from the doctor explaining her choice.

Then again, the pregnant woman was basically complaining about having to travel to the other hospital and claiming that she was heavier when she gave birth to a previous child, which is no guarantee of how this delivery will go. Maybe the doctor lied to persuade her since logic and concern for the baby apparently wasn't working.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    This is COMPLETELY an issue of fat acceptance.
    You've made this claim twice in this thread. Can you explain why this is an issue of fat acceptance? (maybe start with your definition of fat acceptance)

If at first nobody pays attention to you... squeak squeak little wheel.
  • weightedfootsteps
    weightedfootsteps Posts: 4,349 Member
    Options

How? I'm just not seeing that. Are you suggesting that doctors should just accept that their patients are overweight and not say anything to them abou it? Doctors should risk being sued by taking on high risk patients just to avoid being called "fat shamers"? Another poster said that her doctor "fat shamed" her when she'd go in for her visits. I just don't get that. No doctor should overlook a patient's weight if it is unhealthy.

I will say that I have been "fat shamed" by two doctors. One told me that I was going to die by age thirty...Yep JERK!! and a liar!!..LOL

The other I went to for a surgery but I needed to lose weight for the surgery. I was working hard losing 1-5 pounds a week..and he would tell me that I wasn't losing it fast enough..that I wasn't working hard enough..I said excuse me do you see me busting my butt everyday. Do you know half of what I'm doing to lose the weight..I told him everything and he said its just not fast enough. How do you tell the doctor to shove it up his@ss politely?..I finally left him. And I will never recommend him to another person!!!
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    If the doc didn't feel qualified to care for this woman, he should have referred her to someone else; and definitely should not have lied to her about hospital policy!
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    You've made this claim twice in this thread. Can you explain why this is an issue of fat acceptance? (maybe start with your definition of fat acceptance)
    There are plenty of definitions of fat acceptance on the internets, which you clearly have access to. As well as many articles on fat acceptance as related to health-shaming and inadequate medical care.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I'm an attorney, but I'm not licensed to practice in Indiana. Additionally, I don't do medical malpractice or do a whole lot of civil litigation (because I am rather conservative about the cases I do take in that realm), but here goes.

Here's what I don't understand about her case (I would love to get my hands on the complaint). The doctor said that the reason she couldn't deliver at the local hospital was because it was hospital policy not to take patients over 350 lbs. That was untrue, so either (1) the doctor actually thought that was the case, in which case it was an innocent mistake, or (2) she knew it wasn't the case but didn't want to say the real reason why the patient should deliver in Indianapolis, which isn't cool - but not necessarily reason to sue.

The patient admits in the article that she'd have been ok with delivering in Indy if her doctor had simply said outright that it would be better for her and the baby.

It's only because the doctor lied about it (or didn't know the truth) that she's pissed off and apparently is why she is suing.

I think that she has a right to be pissed off that her doctor lied to her or was uninformed as to hospital policies, but if she was already ok with going to Indy based on the premise of better healthcare, what are her losses/damages?

ETA that if it's an issue of embarrassment/fat-shaming (intentional infliction of emotional distress), then it should be a moot point because the "correct" explanation for her being better off delivering in Indianapolis was the same as the untrue one.

Just a guess here, and this may or may not be true, but I almost wonder if the doctor had advised her to not gain weight or even lose weight during her pregnancy, and the patient/plaintiff kept blowing her off, and so to persuade her to deliver in Indianapolis, which would be safer for mother and baby, it was easier to say "it's hospital policy" (meaning the patient/plaintiff would listen and agree) than "it's probably not in your best interest to deliver locally at your weight" (meaning the patient/plaintiff might blow her off again, potentially causing unnecessary danger and a malpractice suit).
  • garnetsms
    garnetsms Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    An adult panda usually weighs about 350lbs; female polar bears (on the low side) weigh 350lbs, a baby cow (depending on breed) can weigh 350lbs by the end of their first year....just ot put some things into perspective.

That is good perspective...

So am I the only one shaking my head at this one? Human females being compared to bears, and cows...Really? These animals were created to be this large...human females were not created to be that size. (This is just a statement, not a discrimination remark).

I believe the doctor did what was in the best interest of the mother/child and the woman should be grateful for that. It seems anymore that people are in too big a hurry to blame, or point fingers at someone else without looking at there own matters first. This is just a crying shame. Is she not considering the stress she is putting her baby thru while she does all of this?
  • mcpherson4
    mcpherson4 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    My doctor was concerned about my 40 pound weight gain that pushed me over 200 pounds. It is what it is. I think the doctor was trying to show kindness and not call out the woman's weight. The truth is you MAY weigh over 300 pounds and REALLY believe that you are healthy, but there are many things that are not accessible to your larger frame and it may be okay today, but what will it be in 10 years? I encourage us to think beyond today, we have to decide to be healthy for our future, for our children. It was embarrassing to me the day the doctor asked me what I had been eating to gain 7 pounds in a week and a half, but you know what, a carton of Breyer's ice cream daily was not the best choice. That is the truth. I hope this is a catalyst for a healthy change in this woman's life and not just an opportunity for justifying her poor eating habits and the thought of quick bucks.
  • Umeboshi
    Options

How? I'm just not seeing that. Are you suggesting that doctors should just accept that their patients are overweight and not say anything to them abou it? Doctors should risk being sued by taking on high risk patients just to avoid being called "fat shamers"? Another poster said that her doctor "fat shamed" her when she'd go in for her visits. I just don't get that. No doctor should overlook a patient's weight if it is unhealthy.

I will say that I have been "fat shamed" by two doctors. One told me that I was going to die by age thirty...Yep JERK!! and a liar!!..LOL

The other I went to for a surgery but I needed to lose weight for the surgery. I was working hard losing 1-5 pounds a week..and he would tell me that I wasn't losing it fast enough..that I wasn't working hard enough..I said excuse me do you see me busting my butt everyday. Do you know half of what I'm doing to lose the weight..I told him everything and he said its just not fast enough. How do you tell the doctor to shove it up his@ss politely?..I finally left him. And I will never recommend him to another person!!!

This is sadly not unusual in the way fat patients are treated. GOOD for you for leaving that doctor and hopefully finding a doctor that will provide unprejudiced care.
  • garnetsms
    garnetsms Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options

I think that she has a right to be pissed off that her doctor lied to her or was uninformed as to hospital policies, but if she was already ok with going to Indy based on the premise of better healthcare, what are her losses/damages?

Exactly!!
  • Umeboshi
    Options
    I'm an attorney, but I'm not licensed to practice in Indiana. Additionally, I don't do medical malpractice or do a whole lot of civil litigation (because I am rather conservative about the cases I do take in that realm), but here goes.

Here's what I don't understand about her case (I would love to get my hands on the complaint). The doctor said that the reason she couldn't deliver at the local hospital was because it was hospital policy not to take patients over 350 lbs. That was untrue, so either (1) the doctor actually thought that was the case, in which case it was an innocent mistake, or (2) she knew it wasn't the case but didn't want to say the real reason why the patient should deliver in Indianapolis, which isn't cool - but not necessarily reason to sue.

The patient admits in the article that she'd have been ok with delivering in Indy if her doctor had simply said outright that it would be better for her and the baby.

It's only because the doctor lied about it (or didn't know the truth) that she's pissed off and apparently is why she is suing.

Discrimination is a serious issue even if she's okay with going to the other hospital.
  • Katalyst77
    Options
    At my highest weight, 357, I was healthy. Granted, I was too heavy, but my numbers were just fine. My blood pressure, heart rate, cholesterol, blood sugar, thyroid, triglycerides, etc were all within normal levels. No diabetes. No high blood pressure. None of the issues many obese people have. Doctors were usually pretty shocked.

My point is, you can't assume she isn't healthy just because of her weight. If she's speaking in terms of bloodwork alone, she may be right. On paper, I was perfectly healthy (if you ignored my BMI). Still am. I've lost 54 pounds, and I'm sure my numbers are about the same or better. Am I a healthy weight? Heck no. Am I healthy, generally? Yes.

I don't think it's right that he lied to her. He should have explained her options. He took the chicken way out of it, and that's wrong.

I have to call BS on this. I have never had problems with my BP, I have never had problems with my cholesterol, diabetes or anything like that either. But just because those vital stats are ok does not mean you are healthy. At 260 pounds, all my stats were good too, but it made me sick to my stomach to walk for 20 minutes. It took me losing 50lbs to realize how unhealthy I actually was and how much potential I was lacking physically. Denial is a horrible thing.

I have to call BS on you, dear. I currently weigh close to 300lbs. I am also pregnant. My blood pressure was taken yesterday and was 101/70. All of my stats are awesome. I can RUN up and down stairs no problem. I can EASILY walk more than 20 minutes. With no pain. And I do. All of the time. In the summer I walk around the small lake near our house 1-2 times per week and that is a 4 mile walk and I do it in a little over an hour. I have a close friend who just had a baby last year and she in in the healthy weight range. She had super high blood pressure and had to be put on bed rest for a month and induced three weeks early. Health is relative. It depends much more on genetics, how much you move your body, and what you put into it... than what you weigh. I am not saying that I am "healthy" because I know that carrying around the extra weight puts a strain on my body. Which is why I am here and working on it. But dont sit in your smug little corner and pick at those around you. I dont know why you even posted this? Does it make you feel superior? It shouldn't.

I'm not picking on anyone, anyone who knows me would testify to that. Neither did I say that people at a healthy weight do not have medical problems. :huh: I do not agree with bodyshaming I just posted an article that is relevant to many people here and something I thought many people would be interested in. Then stated my opinion on the issue.

You just stated yourself that carrying the extra weight puts a strain on your body....What do you think it does to a fetus that a body is supporting? it is the same reason I am here too. According to my BP, cholesterol and other factors, I have no problems but I am by no means healthy. I just admit and accept it and try to do something to change it.

Are you sure you aren't picking on anyone? I mean, you even admitted that you have a problem with people pushing "fat acceptance." Because all people who are fat should feel more self-loathing than accepting of their weight? Is that really healthier? I readily admit AND accept my own fatness. I love my body. I want to be healthy. I accept the fact that in order to improve my health, I have to change my body composition and get rid of the chub. I also accept that it is REALLY effing hard to do. But I am still here. I think threads of this nature come way too close to body-shaming, even if it wasn't your intention. I think that shaming people who are fat is deplorable. Shaming fat people is what leads to unhealthy practices like drastic calorie deficits, and bariatric surgery...whatever it takes to make themselves appear to be more healthy...even though they are not. I just don't see what purpose it serves. Other than to make those doing the shaming somehow feel better about themselves?
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options

I'm not picking on anyone, anyone who knows me would testify to that. Neither did I say that people at a healthy weight do not have medical problems. :huh: I do not agree with bodyshaming I just posted an article that is relevant to many people here and something I thought many people would be interested in. Then stated my opinion on the issue.

You just stated yourself that carrying the extra weight puts a strain on your body....What do you think it does to a fetus that a body is supporting? it is the same reason I am here too. According to my BP, cholesterol and other factors, I have no problems but I am by no means healthy. I just admit and accept it and try to do something to change it.

The OP is a friend and I agree she isn't picking on this person, but for the fact that the lady is trying to sue because she was lied to? Come on, she is going to try and sue because of her feeling like the Dr. was saying she was too fat. She was embarrassed because her weight is what caused this situation to arise, so now it is discrimination all the sudden, instead of her realizing the Dr. was most likely looking out for the well being of her child. How many dr.'s tell women that are trying to conceive to lose weight, even ones that don't have PCOS or fertility problems? Is that saying every doctor is saying all these women are fat cows? No, they tell women this because when you are morbidly obese you are at higher risk and for a lot of women weight does make it more difficult to conceive. Not all women are fertile myrtles. Just like a women in their 40's is considered higher risk, doesn't make it age discrimination.

Not saying overweight people can't have healthy babies, but obviously more often there are complications or they wouldn't be considered high risk. It is like saying well I smoked or drank or did drugs all through my pregnancy and my baby was fine. Well you got lucky. Just because you did that does not mean it is safe. I would hope that most pregnant women are more concerned about their babies health than their own wants.

At my heaviest I was at 305, and I also didn't have any issues with my blood work, did I think I was healthy? Hell no! I may have had good blood work but I ate like crap, sat my *kitten* on the couch the majority of the time, got winded walking up a flight of stairs, would get tired walking around the block, ate no veggies to provide my body with nutrients, etc. etc. etc. Blood work is not the only determining factor when it comes to health, especially when some things occur after YEARS of abuse to our bodies, they are very resilient and can adapt to our horrible habits but eventually if kept up, your body will fight back and disease can come. You need to look at the whole package, not just that your BP is normal. A healthy lifestyle is the foods you eat, the conditioning of your body, and generally the state at which you take care of yourself. If you continue to abuse your body, blood work does not make you healthy.

And I am not directing my "you's" in my post to anyone here, just speaking in general.

I personally think this woman is blowing things out of proportion. I agree with another poster that said that maybe the Dr. was trying to blame it on something other than her weight as to not embarrass her. People are so sensitive now a days and are so quick to sue over the stupidest things. You got your feelings hurt because your weight became the issue putting you in the high risk category where a different hospital is better equipped to take care of you, get over it. If you choose to do nothing to live a healthier life then you can't blame that on anyone but yourself, regardless if you are morbidly obese or just overweight. Most people that have lost weight understand how much better you actually do feel and can look back and say, I did make excuses and I made acceptances for being where they used to be.

Great discussion Mandy :)
  • Umeboshi
    Options

Are you sure you aren't picking on anyone? I mean, you even admitted that you have a problem with people pushing "fat acceptance." Because all people who are fat should feel more self-loathing than accepting of their weight? Is that really healthier? I readily admit AND accept my own fatness. I love my body. I want to be healthy. I accept the fact that in order to improve my health, I have to change my body composition and get rid of the chub. I also accept that it is REALLY effing hard to do. But I am still here. I think threads of this nature come way too close to body-shaming, even if it wasn't your intention. I think that shaming people who are fat is deplorable. Shaming fat people is what leads to unhealthy practices like drastic calorie deficits, and bariatric surgery...whatever it takes to make themselves appear to be more healthy...even though they are not. I just don't see what purpose it serves. Other than to make those doing the shaming somehow feel better about themselves?

Except you can totally keep the chub if that's what you want, and still improve your health. HAES is pretty awesome. Exercise and a healthy diet can solve most of these "obesity" problems, even if you're not eating at a calorie deficit.
  • Tash128
    Tash128 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    She also stated that she delivered 4 years ago when she was heavier and that her sister delivered at over 350 pounds as well.

My first thought is how can these women be so fertile being150-200lbs overweight? Also that they are pushing the fat acceptance and claiming discriminiation. They don't act embarrassed but more proud of their weigtht .

I am still obese and I have no plan to get pregnant until I am healthier and think it's sad the this lady is placing the blame of HER problems on the doctors. I am sure it will end in a lawsuit and the doctor having to settle with her. I don't know why he lied but if it were me, I think that may have been the easiest way to tell her. When I have to give someone an answer they won't like at work I always say "it's board policy", knowing that they will back me up on my decisions.

I just can't get over the woman telling me she was healthy at 353lbs....

Just because you are over weight or obese doesn't necessarily mean you are unhealthy!! I mean other then being Fat perhaps at this point in her life she has no other health issues. I mean if she stays at this weight and doesn't plan to lose anything she could be setting herself up for future health problems but at this point she may only be fat. Why shouldn't she be proud of who she is? my size shouldn't make a difference on how others treat me.
    I feel the doctor was totally wrong in lying, why lie why not just tell the truth I'm not comfortable delivering your baby and the hospital isn't equipped if something was to go wrong. I'm sure if it was put that way she would have been happy to be referred to another doctor and hospital. I mean honestly who really wants to be with a doctor who doesn't want to treat you anyways, instead he makes it sound like he is discriminating against her weight.

I'm not sure how she is placing the blame of her weight on the doctor? she is just upset she was told she has to go to another hospital. All in all there was no reason to lie.
  • Katalyst77
    Options