breakfast...the most unhealthiest meal of the day..

Options

Replies

• ms_leanne
    Options
    People aren't fat cuz they eat breakfast -- they are fat cuz they eat to much of the wrong things all day long.

This ^

I have always eaten breakfast. I just make sure I control what I eat for each meal. Generally a bowl of porridge or poached eggs at the weekend.

Here in UK we aren't used to having waffles or pancakes for breakfast. The one risk we do definitely have is with the full English fry-up but even then there are ways of making it healthier.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    We can correlate obesity with any meal of the day, or any factor added to the mix if were looking at an obese demographic. :wink:
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Also...if 67% are obese, then 33% are NOT obese...so possibly, of the 44% who eat breakfast, all of those but 11% are NOT obese...that would leave 56% of the population NOT eating breakfast, and they are obese...so your figures support *eating* breakfast. Of course, I'm sure the numbers don't work out to be that absolute...but still...I think eating a healthy breakfast is a very good idea...the key words, of course, being "healthy breakfast"...not all you can eat at IHOP... ;)

I was thinking the same thing. That his math did not make sense...
  • perdie7
    perdie7 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    also.....100% of the people who have ever drank water, die! therefore we should never ever drink water, it will cause you to die.
  • dleithaus
    dleithaus Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Eating breakfast is a daily habit for the "successful losers" who belong to The National Weight Control Registry. These people have maintained a 30-pound (or more) weight loss for at least a year, and some as long as six years.

"Most -- 78% -- reported eating breakfast every day, and almost 90% reported eating breakfast at least five days a week - which suggests that starting the day with breakfast is an important strategy to lose weight and keep it off," says James O. Hill, PhD, the Registry's co-founder and director of the Center for Human Nutrition at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11836452?dopt=Abstract

So on the other side of obese, proportionally more people who eat breakfast maintain weight loss. This is just as valid as the original argument.

I eat breakfast because I am hungry. Seems pretty simple to me.
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is just the first meal of the day so technically eveeryone eats breakfast. Unless they don't eat at all.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'm convinced. I think I'm going to start waiting to eat until dinner and just putting down a 1500 calorie meal. I bet my weight will start melting!

Can you even put down 1500 cals in one meal?

Heck yeah! Like a boss! And with well balanced macros. That's one of the reasons why I skip breakfast once or twice a week. To feast at dinner!!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Ok folks here are the stats...

forty four percent of us eat breakfast, yet 2/3's of americans are obese. Hmmm yet we keep hearing that breakfast is the "most important meal of the day". I guess if you want to be obese then it is. Also, the whole "I need to eat breakfast to stoke the metabolic fire theory' has been totally debunked; as meal timing has nothing to do with metabolism. So I say eat when you are hungry and the let the chips fall as they may. I personally have been skipping breakfast for about five months now, and have lost three percent body fat. Oh, and you wont go into starvation mode if you don't eat breakfast so don't even come with that...cheers!

That's a pretty shaky usage of cause and effect there. Many people who are overweight also drink water, by that logic one could argue that water makes people overweight.

For the record, I rarely eat a big breakfast. I find I'm just not hungry at that time of day. But it's certainly NOT the main source of poundage in this country.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options

forty four percent of us eat breakfast, yet 2/3's of americans are obese. Hmmm yet we keep hearing that breakfast is the "most important meal of the day". I guess if you want to be obese then it is. Also, the whole "I need to eat breakfast to stoke the metabolic fire theory' has been totally debunked; as meal timing has nothing to do with metabolism. So I say eat when you are hungry and the let the chips fall as they may. I personally have been skipping breakfast for about five months now, and have lost three percent body fat. Oh, and you wont go into starvation mode if you don't eat breakfast so don't even come with that...cheers!

You can play with stats, and I can play with stats.

2/3 Americans are obese = 67%.
    Maybe the remaining 33% of "non-obese" individuals are the ones eating breakfast. So 44% eating breakfast - 33% healthy individuals = 11% obese breakfast eaters.

So it looks to me that only 16% (11% obese breakfast eaters / 67% total obese) breakfast eaters are obese vs 84% non-breakfast eaters who are obese.

I think I'll have breakfast.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

That's a pretty shaky usage of cause and effect there.

I agree. But it is no more shaky than those who close that breakfast "is the most important meal of the day" or that it "jump starts your metabolism" or any of the other claims made about the health benefiits of breakfast. There is no data that shows a causal link to health, weight loss and breakfast eating. Yet many on here, including in this thread, have claimed just that.
  • shelleyjo1970
    shelleyjo1970 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm hangry when I wake up. That's why I eat breakfast. My body is telling me it wants food, so I oblige it. For the sake of humanity. You're all very welcome.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    This might be the Dumbest use of useless statistics, EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I became 90 pounds over weight from eating too much of the bad things at ALL times of the day and night. And NOT Exercising.

I got rid of 90 pounds by eating the PROPER amount of DECENT foods at ALL times of the day and night. And Exercising.

We, as a society have become extremely lazy. It is much easier to DRIVE to a fast food joint to feed ouselves and our kids, then it is to drive to th grocery store and buy food and come home and cook it.

Let's get off our fat *kitten* and do the work.

Get rid of the phone(for calling for take out) and replace it with a stove.
  • shelleyjo1970
    shelleyjo1970 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing for breakfast everyday. A high protein drink with frozen fruit or peanut butter. 30 grams or more of protien. It is low in calories and curbs my hunger for hours. Great way to start out my day. Plus I have lost 67 pounds doing this. So it works. At least for me. Good luck out there.
  • Mandylynne1979
    Mandylynne1979 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of it being called "the healthiest" meal of the day, but I have heard it said for years that it is the "most important meal" of the day. Did you maybe get this mixed up?

i agree with this I also have heard it called the most important meal of the day!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    A poster early on got it right. EVERYone eats breakfast. Breakfast means breaking your fast, so the first meal you eat after fasting for several hours is your breakfast, no matter which foods you are eating during that meal or snack and regardless of the time of day.

ETA: If you don't break your fast, you will die of starvation. :wink:
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I listen to my body. I'm pretty hungry when I get up--so I eat! It is usually my biggest meal (calorie-wise) of the day. My daughter, on the other hand, says that eating much when she gets up, makes her nauseated. She usually grabs a nourishing snack first thing---like a half-piece of toast spread with a little almond butter, and then she has "brunch" later on. I listen to my body--she listens to hers. It's all good. :smile:
  • KarenJean91
    KarenJean91 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Skipping breakfast is usually the only way i can stay under my calories. And I feel fine.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    FACT: breakfast foods are the most delicious foods out there.
  • ec143810
    Options
    It's what we are eating for breakfast that kills our weight. When people think of breakfast, they think of sugary cereals: high in calories, break down quickly and leave you hungry or they think of breakfast sweets...doghnuts, pancakes, french toast....the list goes on. And the meat? Ham, bacon, sausage....high in sodium, high in fat, high in calories. Breakfast tends to be a lose lose situation for Americans who seem to think that breakfast consists of two or three of these elements!

I personally can't skip breakfast because I tend toward hypoglycemia and usually work early and wind up skipping lunch. My philosophy so far has been that I can eat anything I want as long as I eat the correct (smaller) portion sizes. So far, this seems to have worked but we'll see how long this keeps up.
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I eat a small breakfast everyday. If I don't, I start to feel weak and shaky. But its a healthy breakfast. Not cereal or pancakes or waffles - not JUNK. No sugar laden, nastiness here. No pop tarts or toaster strudels (or that other crap my Mom used to buy us). Its usually greek yogurt. Maybe with some fruit. And a cup of coffee (OK, the coffee's got sugar in it).
    You've made a correlation that a: makes sense to you and b: not necessarily with science. Every body is different. If you don't eat breakfast, and it works for you, good for you.
    Think I'll stick with eating breakfast.