Why do so many people think meat is essential? (NOT DEBATE)

Options

Replies

• MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    How could this possibly not be essential???

1317747365_bacon_frying.gif

Whoa.....hang on! What on earth is that skinny looking stuff??? That's not bacon!

Oh no, no, no.

Bacon is thick, it has a big rind and, if possible, it comes off a Gloucester Old Spot or a Tamworth and it's oak smoked so it ends up looking like this:

smoked-bacon-400x400.jpg
  • Whadevah
    Whadevah Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    A huge problem for menstruating females is the absorption of enough iron to support the body in replacing blood lost through menstruation. While iron contained in certain vegetables is good for you, it is the heme iron from meats that the body can more easily absorb and is less irritating to the gut than that from vegetables. Spinach contains a large amount of iron, but also has an enzyme that prevents good absorption of the iron, so not as good as you might think. There are certain liquid supplements which contain adequate levels of iron, but they all have iron from vegetables., and may irritate the gut. Add these to juice or drink them with other foods.

Protein is important, too, but you may find sufficient protein from a combination of bean and lentils and nuts, if you choose not to eat meat. Do you eat eggs, cheese or fish? They are good if you are not a strict vegetarian. Good luck.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Hiya,

I get a lot from friends, and no so close friends, that I should eat meat and a strict vegetarian diet is unhealthy, and meat is essential in a healthy diet blah blah.

Why is this such a common predicament? What are your thoughts (WITHOUT BEING RUDE OR DEBATING) on a no-meat lifestyle? If you are vegetarian/vegan, do you find yourself to be healthy?

Coming from a person who LOVES to eat meat, I can assure you that it's not "unhealthy" to get your protein, iron, fat, etc from other sources of food. Hit your macros and eat what you like. :flowerforyou:
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Compare ounce to ounce. You're gonna have to get a lot of broccoli down to do the job.

The FDA recommends that adults and children over the age of four consume at least 50 grams of protein every day. This recommendation is based on a diet that provides 2,000 calories a day.

Food Grams of Protein

almonds 3 oz. 10
    broccoli (two cups) 5
    chick peas (one cup) 15
    lentils (one cup) 16
    whole wheat bread (2 slices) 7

total 53

http://www.livestrong.com/article/465184-fda-daily-recommendations-for-protein/
    http://pacificunitarian.org/heal_the_world/mythicalprotein.html
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Compare ounce to ounce. You're gonna have to get a lot of broccoli down to do the job.

The FDA recommends that adults and children over the age of four consume at least 50 grams of protein every day. This recommendation is based on a diet that provides 2,000 calories a day.

Food Grams of Protein

almonds 3 oz. 10
    broccoli (two cups) 5
    chick peas (one cup) 15
    lentils (one cup) 16

total 53

The FDA couldn't find it's backside with both hands and a flashlight.

Also, FDA recommendations are designed to avoid deficiency diseases, not necessarily to optimize health. I can't for the life of me imagine getting along on 50 grams of protein a day for any length of time.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

Food Grams of Protein

almonds 3 oz. 10
    broccoli (two cups) 5
    chick peas (one cup) 15
    lentils (one cup) 16

total 53

Yes, and the FDA's recommendation is ridiculously low as well. I'll present this yet again because people either miss it, or are too damned lazy to read all of it. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2129150/
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options

Food Grams of Protein

almonds 3 oz. 10
    broccoli (two cups) 5
    chick peas (one cup) 15
    lentils (one cup) 16

total 53

Also, FDA recommendations are designed to avoid deficiency diseases, not necessarily to optimize health. I can't for the life of me imagine getting along on 50 grams of protein a day for any length of time.

I need about 100-130 grams a day.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Meat (by this i mean any animal product, cheese, eggs, etc) is essential because of sodium content. It's also a good way to get protein in. So today, HONESTLY you don't HAVE To eat meat (because there is table salt)t. However, if you expect to maintain muscle mass, you need to eat 1 gram of protein for every pound of lean body mass. In terms of peas (which have a fair amount of protein), I would have to eat 450-500 grams of white Canadian peas a day to get adequate protein. Peas have a fair amount of iron too, which is nice. If you like peas, then go for it.

There are a ton of vegans who get 1g per LBM - and not from just peas, that's a silly example.

^^ It definitely made me LOL. And salt? Really? Eat meat for the salt? That's the first time I have ever heard that one. Sodium content has NOTHING to do with my meat-eating ways. :laugh:

Logging my food on MFP has really opened my eyes to how many types of food out there have protein. Some people don't ever think about. In fact some people on MFP don't even really track their protein at all.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Why is this such a common astigmatism? What are your thoughts (WITHOUT BEING RUDE OR DEBATING) on a no-meat lifestyle?

so how am i going to express my point without debating?

It's pretty easy to do, actually. You simply state your opinion and then add, IMO at the end! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

FTR, stating your opinion is *NOT* considered "debate" in any way, shape or form. Back and forth disagreements that contain different opinions are not actually "debates," they're arguments. Tell me again why it's a bad thing for people to share differing opinions?
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

24348068.jpg
  • iAMsmiling
    Options

24348068.jpg

What if I told you that conspiracy theories were nothing more than cognitive shortcuts?
  • AlanTuring
    Options
    What if I told you that conspiracy theories were nothing more than cognitive shortcuts?
    I really have a strong tendency to hate conspiracy theorists, but that's hardly a conspiracy theory. The FDA has been called out several times for being terribly lazy and the cronyism and swapping that goes on between the largest drug companies and the FDA is pretty nasty.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidmaris/2012/10/10/fda-recall-points-to-serious-problems-at-the-fda/

There's an article with a really great recent example, and sadly it's far from the only example available.

Anyway, go veg*ns. :P And thank you to whoever used that term in this thread, because it's so much easier. :P
  • iAMsmiling
    Options
    I really have a strong tendency to hate conspiracy theorists, but that's hardly a conspiracy theory. The FDA has been called out several times for being terribly lazy and the cronyism and swapping that goes on between the largest drug companies and the FDA is pretty nasty.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidmaris/2012/10/10/fda-recall-points-to-serious-problems-at-the-fda/

There's an article with a really great recent example, and sadly it's far from the only example available.

Anyway, go veg*ns. :P And thank you to whoever used that term in this thread, because it's so much easier. :P

Lazy and prone to cronyism I would never deny for any government agency.
  • cals83
    cals83 Posts: 131
    Options
    Meat is essential for some people to be able to reach their goals. Personally, I have a lot of food sensitivities...I can't eat any wheat, I have to limit my dairy and soy as well as other things. As a result of this, it is difficult for me to get as much protein as I feel I should be having without eating meat unless I want to get sick.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Well, for me, if I cut out meats, I'll have a harder time getting enough protein (which is something that's hard for me anyway). I'm allergic to beans (I get hives and vomit a lot, not pretty) and tree nuts (canker sores in my whole mouth and down my throat). So, if I didn't eat meat, eggs, fish, dairy, etc, I'm not sure I'd even come close to getting enough protein. For me personally, I need meat in my diet.

Which has more protein: broccoli or steak?

Don't be too sure you know the answer, it may surprise you. Calorie for calorie, broccoli has more than double the protein than a sirloin steak, but the steak also has 55 mg cholesterol and 1.7 grams of saturated fat. The broccoli? 0 cholesterol and a teeny tiny amount of saturated fat. And in case you might be thinking that broccoli is a “magic” vegetable, and other vegetables don't have the same sizzle, I can tell you that most vegetables are just as nutrient dense. This means that calorie for calorie, most vegetables (and other plant-based foods) have loads of nutrients, whereas most animal-based foods do not.

http://www.dachia.com/Broccoli_vs_Steak.html
    So eating about 76 cups of broccoli each day for me should do it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mary1028
    mary1028 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am not a vegetarian although I rarely eat meat. I feel better when I don't eat meat regularly. I ready don't know why. Even if meat was as important as a lot of people assume, what kind of meat do most of them exactly eat? Given what we do to the meat in our faat and processed foods, I bet on the legumes, etc being a better choice.
  • AlanTuring
    Options
    Well, for me, if I cut out meats, I'll have a harder time getting enough protein (which is something that's hard for me anyway). I'm allergic to beans (I get hives and vomit a lot, not pretty) and tree nuts (canker sores in my whole mouth and down my throat). So, if I didn't eat meat, eggs, fish, dairy, etc, I'm not sure I'd even come close to getting enough protein. For me personally, I need meat in my diet.

Don't be too sure you know the answer, it may surprise you. Calorie for calorie, broccoli has more than double the protein than a sirloin steak, but the steak also has 55 mg cholesterol and 1.7 grams of saturated fat. The broccoli? 0 cholesterol and a teeny tiny amount of saturated fat. And in case you might be thinking that broccoli is a “magic” vegetable, and other vegetables don't have the same sizzle, I can tell you that most vegetables are just as nutrient dense. This means that calorie for calorie, most vegetables (and other plant-based foods) have loads of nutrients, whereas most animal-based foods do not.

IDEA Fitness member
    Shouldn't you be crying about holding penalties instead of crying about what other people eat? :(
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member
    Shouldn't you be crying about holding penalties instead of crying about what other people eat? :(

Huh? Who said he was crying? Am so confused at that..lol :huh:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Rebutting someone else's assertion = crying.

Those are the MFP forum rules.

ETA: I am declaring this post as "(NOT DEBATE)", so no disagreeing with me.

:flowerforyou:
  • AlanTuring
    Options
    I did. Just now.

If you look to the left, you can see the name attributed to a post. Hope this helps! :)