My stupid local Planet Fitness.....

Options

Replies

• Zosimah
    Zosimah Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    How long is it expected to be like this? One or two days is no real big issue for me for a place open all the time. To get nicer things we have to sacrifice something else. Hopefully you'll be back to your normal routine shortly.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Every time I see that commercial on TV, "We're not a gym, we're Planet Fitness.", I want to punch somebody in the face.
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I hope you went to the manager and complained. It would have been no big deal for them to give a week warning closed "from ____ to blah" time and then could have been done quicker and safer! My Planet Fitness closed for a space of time so they could have a regional meeting but they gave plenty notice.
  • keithmustloseweight
    Options

Freeweights?

At Planet Fitness, home of "we feed you pizza" Mondays?

I've heard it called "Planet Fatness"

Fortunately don't think they exist in Australia
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Cry a river OP. at least they made sure they were useable.
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    People sit on stuff without a towel under under their butt? :indifferent:
  • SmileyFaceGuy
    Options
    My god, that place looks obnoxious. It looks like an indoor jungle gym for kids.
  • slacker80
    slacker80 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    sww3d.jpg

I went to one in my home town durring a vacation and was dissappointed with the upkeep of the place as well as the layout and lack of energy in the place.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    So they're replacing the floor in the weights area. They took all the machines and benches and shoved them to one side of the room.
    It was ridiculous to even attempt a workout. Yes, I am ridiculous and attempted to workout.

Here's what is looks like with all the evening yahoos trying to workout:

IMG_20130226_192659_zps22cdbead.jpg

IMG_20130226_192646_zpsf8b6bb97.jpg

IMG_20130226_192641_zps707cad8d.jpg

People were just moving plates away from this mess to work out and simply doing exercises holding the plates.... there were some attempting to use the machines even though they were all on top of each other. This has to be a liability--- surprised no one has been hurt with everything so cramped and disorganized.

Hey, that sign says "No Critics!" You can't be posting this OP, they'll throw you out . . .
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    I could never workout on equipment that looks like it belongs in Barbie's Dream House.. not to mention the no grunting rule.. no grunting? Really?
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options

Freeweights?

At Planet Fitness, home of "we feed you pizza" Mondays?

I've heard it called "Planet Fatness"

Fortunately don't think they exist in Australia

Anyone competant can use a well-stocked gym, even if it's got a crazy colour scheme and appeals to amateurs. I know a lot of people fully dedicated to fitness who utilize their facilities because of affordability, convenience, etc. It's okay to stop being elitist for a second and realize that these can be useful places to work out and they don't all adhere to the "no grunting/lunk alarm" policy, even though that's what they're best known for. The people I know who go there and enjoy the gym say that's not even a factor and think it's silly people wholeheartedly bash on it.

That being said, if you're training for a power-lifting competition, you'd probably be better off finding another gym...
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    That's what you get for joint planet fitness. Join a better gym if you don't want to deal with crap like this.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Everytime I hear stuff like this, it makes my 24 hour membership seem soooooo much better in comparison...even if you consider all the busted cardio machines that never get fixed. I might check out a planet fitness and maybe drop some weights on the floor or something gangsta like that.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    The more I read the more I become convinced that Planet Fitness does not want people to get in shape.

Really? I think it varies gym to gym, it's a franchise. My planet fitness is awesome and the trainers are really nice and helpful.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    I could never workout on equipment that looks like it belongs in Barbie's Dream House.. not to mention the no grunting rule.. no grunting? Really?

If you have a need to grunt you should probably learn how to work out, you're probably not lifting correctly if you're going to grunt like an animal.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    OP:

Either quit the gym or let the management know the problem and ask for when they'll have it fixed. Sheesh.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

If you have a need to grunt you should probably learn how to work out, you're probably not lifting correctly if you're going to grunt like an animal.

Oh. That seems harsh. I grunt when I work out and I think I have some idea of what I'm doing.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Tell that to all the world's strongest people, most of whom often make grunting sounds at max exertion.

Oh, and also tell that to Maria Sharapova and Victoria Azarenka.
  • gfiorine
    gfiorine Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I actually like my planet fitness. Compared to all the higher priced gyms I joined before, this one is the cleanest by far. I don't care if you're a germaphobe or complete slob, it's nice to see the staff wipe down all the equipment and free weights every chance they get. I could care less about the colors of the place, the stupid lunk alarm or no critics slogan and least of all the pizza nights. I get a place that is open 24 hrs a day, has all the equipment I could want and let's me do that for $10 a month. And yes...it's really nice not to have to deal with the meatheads that spend 3 hrs a day in the gym staring a their muscles in the mirror and walk around like they own the place.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I actually like my planet fitness. Compared to all the higher priced gyms I joined before, this one is the cleanest by far. I don't care if you're a germaphobe or complete slob, it's nice to see the staff wipe down all the equipment and free weights every chance they get. I could care less about the colors of the place, the stupid lunk alarm or no critics slogan and least of all the pizza nights. I get a place that is open 24 hrs a day, has all the equipment I could want and let's me do that for $10 a month. And yes...it's really nice not to have to deal with the meatheads that spend 3 hrs a day in the gym staring a their muscles in the mirror and walk around like they own the place.

Well those people don't go to Planet Fitness because they don't have the equipment needed to actually produce those results.

Most PFs anyway. Apparently a few have actual squat racks and stuff.