Replies

• leketchup
    leketchup Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    DVD u say?
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    The problem is that so many people interpret it differently. The whole reason this post was put up was to inform people that heavy lifting as a workout doesn't mean just working out with a weight that feels heavy to you. It's a very specific type of workout. It means working within specific rep ranges and entirely compounds.

You're right, it's up to interpretation. Just because you interpret "heavy lifting" as a specific structured type of compound workout doesn't mean it's correct. I interpret "heavy lifting" as "lifting something that is heavy". The dictionary defines "heavy lifting" as slang for difficult activities at work. Wikipedia defines "heavy lifting" in regards to container transportation. So what makes your interpretation the correct one? Now, if you capitalize it as "Heavy Lifting" then I could see the arguement that it is a structured compound exercise routine.

For the most part on MFP, when someone says people should be "heavy lifting" they are simply refering to high resistance/low reps vs. the mainstream idea of low resistance/high reps. They aren't talking about compound vs. isolation or splits.
    Agree 100%.

That being said, I can't stand supersets or circuit training.

My current split is an upper/lower based on RPE.

Trust and believe, I am lifting VERY heavy.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    CP, I know you meant well with this post but it's so off base that it's almost unusable. Essentially, only a basic powerlifting program is defined as lifting heavy. Bodypart splits and 8 rep sets aren't heavy? Come on man. I won't pick on you too hard because I know the main point of this post is to tell women doing dvds like Chalean or taking Body Pump classes that 10 lb weights for 20 reps isn't heavy lifting and I completely agree. But that definition is so narrow that almost nothing is.

But it's mfp, where you're doing SS/SL 5x5 or YOU'RE GONNA DIE.

100% agree with this.
    Just because body parts are split up does not mean that you are not lifting heavy... it's ALL heavy lifting if you are failing on your 5-10th rep and you are sweating.... what is HEAVY for me might be warm up for you but thats NOT the point.....
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options
    Bump to follow the discussion
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • altinker
    altinker Posts: 173
    Options
    ...In a thread I was in the other day (about body image) a very pro- heavy lifting guy made the blanket statement that "marathoners look disgusting" before advising the upset OP to ditch all her weightless efforts for heavy lifting. Does everyone say things this obviously dumb? Of course not. Will lifting maybe make that OP feel better? Sure! It totally might. But does it make sense to BASH CARdIOVASCULAR EXERCISE and call very fit people "disgusting"?!?!? No.

Heavy lifters, you advice is very useful, but it is not the end all be all to health. Just consider that please.

Yeah, I'm one of those disgusting looking marathoners. I even had an MFPer tell me I was scrawny and unattractive (a mean, unsolicited comment by the way). I actually lift heavy 3 days a week (by MY definition heavy enough to do no more than 4-5 reps) and although I'm not the badass looking beast that some people may want me to be, I'm pretty fit. My lifting has actually improved my running and race pace. I highly recommend both cardio AND heavy lifting. I don't really care if I meet other people's fitness or aesthetic expectations. I'm working on my own goals. :flowerforyou:

I think you look great! I think people can be rude when they comment about how other people look, especially if people don't do things their way!

Thank you for the OP and the definition you provided. I have also enjoyed reading the other posts to see that other people interpret lifting heavy to mean different things.

When I was in the best shape of my life, I lifted heavy weights -- not heavy lifting according to the OP's definition. That's all I did was free weights and watched my diet. Unfortunately, as I've gotten older, my body just won't allow me to do certain things. I'm having good luck doing barre and other lighter and fluffier programs than purely heavy free weights. The progression is slower, but that's what my body will allow for now. I am noticing that I have better definition than I ever did just doing heavy weights. My arms are starting to look pretty defined, and my legs are pretty strong just lifting my own weight. I will eventually see if my body will allow me to start lifting heavier weights -- especially since the gym could be incorporated for lunchtime activities.
  • chrisilouhoo
    chrisilouhoo Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    bump

thanks for this, and for responding to each of the questions - the discussion was very informative
  • Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Want to be able to continue reading this for later.
  • JezzD1
    JezzD1 Posts: 431
    Options
    AMAZING post love the breakdown and very informative! Thank you for taking the time to post this, really helped =)
    question, if I am adding 5lbs every week won't it get too heavy so I won't be able to make 5reps, in other words if I can only do 3 reps with the added weight should I stay at that way until I can complete 5reps then add another five pounds?
  • DynamicDiva
    DynamicDiva Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Very informative post----on both sides of it.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    AMAZING post love the breakdown and very informative! Thank you for taking the time to post this, really helped =)
    question, if I am adding 5lbs every week won't it get too heavy so I won't be able to make 5reps, in other words if I can only do 3 reps with the added weight should I stay at that way until I can complete 5reps then add another five pounds?

Eventually yes. When you reach that point you then progress onto more advanced programs which is where you will see a LOT of exceptions to the guidelines I've posted regarding splits vs. full body and rep ranges. The people who are mainly arguing against the points I've made are coming from the perspective of people who have moved onto these advanced programs, which is why they see things the way they do. This post mainly (and I should have been more clear about this) applies to entry-level heavy lifting programs.

Also, "failure" is open to interpretation. Many people interpret failure as meaning the point where your muscles give out completely. For safety's sake (and because I personally have seen better results this way) I see failure as the point at which you begin to find yourself having to cheat on your form to continue beyond that point.
  • Roxie65
    Roxie65 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I am sorry OP but have you ever looked at a Cathe workout program you will find that her STS program is pretty intense and based on heavy lifting, I do agree that 30D Shred is not a heavy lifting program but you shouldn't knock all of them.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options

Yes. In stronglifts, you add weight until you "fail" and can't complete all reps. If you fail on three separate occasions, you reduce your weight by 10% and work your way back up.

Also, you might find that going up 5 pounds at a time is too much, especially on upper body lifts. Some folks use fractional plates that weigh 1.25 pounds to go up 2.5 pounds at a time instead. I couldn't find 1.25 pound plates for a price I was willing to pay (I'm ridiculously cheap), so I use one pound D-shaped hand weights to increase by 2 pounds, then the next time I increase, I'd go up 3 pounds.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    CP, I know you meant well with this post but it's so off base that it's almost unusable. Essentially, only a basic powerlifting program is defined as lifting heavy. Bodypart splits and 8 rep sets aren't heavy? Come on man. I won't pick on you too hard because I know the main point of this post is to tell women doing dvds like Chalean or taking Body Pump classes that 10 lb weights for 20 reps isn't heavy lifting and I completely agree. But that definition is so narrow that almost nothing is.

But it's mfp, where you're doing SS/SL 5x5 or YOU'RE GONNA DIE.

100% agree with this.
    Just because body parts are split up does not mean that you are not lifting heavy... it's ALL heavy lifting if you are failing on your 5-10th rep and you are sweating.... what is HEAVY for me might be warm up for you but thats NOT the point.....

I agree that you will find a lot of exceptions to the guidelines regarding splits for strength gains as you progress onto more intermediate/advanced level programs. This post (and I should have been more clear about this) mainly discusses the entry level programs. Anyone who has moved onto the more advanced programs clearly doesn't need an explanation.
  • dondimitri
    dondimitri Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    There is some reasonable info in the OP and I think his intentions were good. Unfortunately he has focused on a particular strategy that falls within his limited understanding of "heavy lifting" and concluded that that strategy is the only way. When he eliminated splits he also eliminated his credibility.

Come on people: Whenever somebody tells you that "their way is the only way" your immediate response should be.... "bu!!s...".
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    All these different work out programs and techniques and internet info that are named something. Do you think they just got it from someone else and named it after themselves? Hmph, okay I got dibs on benching, I'll call it the Zilla program,lol. Go workout with people that have done it for years or learn what works for you. For now I'll do me and you do you. There was never a name for 5X5, people have been doing that since the 60's. Bottom line find what works for you because what works for one person may not work for others. Same as supplements, everybody is different. jmho
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    There is some reasonable info in the OP and I think his intentions were good. Unfortunately he has focused on a particular strategy that falls within his limited understanding of "heavy lifting" and concluded that that strategy is the only way. When he eliminated splits he also eliminated his credibility.

Come on people: Whenever somebody tells you that "their way is the only way" your immediate response should be.... "bu!!s...".

Not saying this way is the only way. But in beginner-oriented programs that's generally the way things are. Things start to branch out into splits, different rep ranges, and a higher focus on accessory lifts at more advanced programs.
  • MsQt
    MsQt Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I agree
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I'm still old school. You wanna know what heavy lifting routines work. Go work out with power lifters. Just sayin...

Hole in the wall gym, chalk every where, straps, belts, wraps and of course a lot of bar bending steel and iron.
    Giant fan in the wall, brick walls even seemed to sweat, loud music blaring not ipad ear phone crap.

If the bar ain't bending you just pretending, lol. C'mon laugh thats funny.

Insert Tim Allen grunts!!!!
  • kcallas88
    Options
    Bump