What food's calories have you been shocked by?

Options

Replies

• mixedlollies
    mixedlollies Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Granola!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Ghee. Dear god, what the hell is wrong with people? 112 calories per tablespoon? Just...why?
  • Carmella9
    Carmella9 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    olive oil - 100 cal per tsp (didnt shock me though)
    wasabi peas 200 for half a pack :O
    burger and chips at my local pub (shouldve know better) 1,800 calories :|
    and lindt eggs 30g 180 cal :/
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I am still shocked by Quizno's veggie sub. How is it possible that it has more calories than a big mac?!

I've also been surprised by fruits and veggies and how quickly those add calories other things like BBQ sauce or the portion sizes of things like peanut butter and cheese and how quickly it adds up.
  • maramarx
    Options
    definitely my favourite nut - the Brazil nut :(
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Waffle House: The chicken melt has way more calories than the patty melt.
  • krnlmustrd
    krnlmustrd Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Boston Market Sweet Potato Casserole Side Item - 460 Calories.
  • gdortiz
    gdortiz Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    - red lentils
    - holy crap ... COCONUT MILK!!! check it out.
    - banana
    - ciabatta roll
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    While working at Chili's they would prepare a meal each week, tell us about it and we could taste it, ask questions about it etc.
    One day they brought out the Awesome Blossom ( their version of a onion rings). I asked how many calories it had.

I haven't been able to eat fried food since.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Banana's, Peanut Butter. :(
  • MissionPossible20
    Options
    T.G.I. Friday's... Check it out and prepare to be HORRIFIED with the calorie information:
    http://www.tgifridays.com/_images/pdfs/Nutritional.pdf
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    T.G.I. Friday's... Check it out and prepare to be HORRIFIED with the calorie information:
    http://www.tgifridays.com/_images/pdfs/Nutritional.pdf
    Those numbers are typical for any sit down restaurant.
  • luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Three coconut skrimp at Outback-207 calories. I used to add that onto my meal like it was nothin'.
    Oh and a serving of chips and hummus. Way more than I thought.
  • MissionPossible20
    Options
    Not here!
  • MissionPossible20
    Options
    Not here!
  • shaywallis
    shaywallis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Dates!!! 70cal per date. I can easily sit down and kill a whole package of dates. I don't buy them anymore.
  • LadyBirdGo
    LadyBirdGo Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    olive oil, caramel.....

also I'm amazed by the comparisons between the same foods by different brands...like if you compare the exact same type of soup made by progresso and campbell's the difference in calories and sodium can be shocking.

oh yeah, and before I forget...SPICES! I know this might sound stupid, but I actually used to think that all spices had 0 calories. ha!

and I am also shocked with certain fruits that have calories....(fyi, with weight watchers they tell you that fruits are 0 points....which i think gives you a false sense of reality).
  • chanahliora
    Options
    Panera Bread's Easter shortbread cookie=460 calories. I was so bummed, I love those! But will not be eating them anymore. I am now tracking my sugar as I know that is a huge issue for me. I learned today on the Doctor's that women should not have more than 6 teaspoons a day of sugar. 4.2 grams are in 1 teaspoon of sugar. So I know I can't have more than 24 grams in one day. Sugar is in so many things, it makes it quite the challenge.
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    That there's 0calories in PopTarts, I know awesome right.

On a serious note I knew nuts were high in calories but I just didn't realise quite how high.
  • LadyBirdGo
    LadyBirdGo Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    While working at Chili's they would prepare a meal each week, tell us about it and we could taste it, ask questions about it etc.
    One day they brought out the Awesome Blossom ( their version of a onion rings). I asked how many calories it had.

I haven't been able to eat fried food since.

okay, that's just INSANE. why in the world do they have to make food like that?!!