What are your deal breakers?

Options

Replies

• RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options

2) Not wanting pets. Sorry, pets are non-negotiable. Some of these animals were in my life LOOOONG before you and you are not so special as to make me toss them onto the street. If you're allergic? Not sure how I'd handle that, since it wouldn't be their fault.

My husband told me we couldn't have cats cause he had allergies. I told him I couldnt live without them. 15 years and 6 cats later I have yet to see signs of his allergies. :laugh: Our cats have ranged from short to long haired. Currently we have 2 long haired, 1 med haired, and 1 short haired.

ETA: My deal breakers - bad oral hygiene and irresponsibility disguised as spontaneity.
  • jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    yeah, low, or lack of, libido is a defiite deal breaker.
  • CynthiaCollin
    CynthiaCollin Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    My deal breakers are as follows:

Slackers - I work hard and expect the same from my partner.....
    Moochers - I work hard to support myself and my family.... if you want to mooch....go elsewhere.... very unflattering characteristic.
    Vain- constantly looking in the mirror and flexing.... I like good looking men.... but looks aren`t everything....
    Mean- I hate it when people are mean.... Treat others the way you want to be treated.
    If you take off your sweater and it looks like you are wearing a fur coat.... too hairy scares me.... lol
    If you don`t like kids....you aren`t for me....
  • angiebirdie
    angiebirdie Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    controlling, homophobe, bad temper, ,sports-watching fanatics, and not accepting my cat.
    my cat comes with the package.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    Loud chewing, somebody who wouldn't let me have my pet rats, somebody who has a totally different taste in music than I do. I'm pretty open when it comes to music, so it's difficult to find somebody who doesn't have tastes that overlap in some area. And, yes, I have ended a relationship because the guy chewed like a cow.
  • XD40SW
    Options
    1) Crazy cat ladies [(more than 2 cats qualify) I KID! I LOVE CATS :heart: :heart: ]

Now for realsies!
    1) People who feel texts are a sufficient means of conversation... all the time.
    2) No smokers, drug users (marijuana included), or "social" drinkers who in fact are just flat out alcoholics.
    3) No sense of humor.
    4) Overly religious/trying to convert me. I am atheist, but wholly except and support peoples belief in a higher power or powers, just don't push it on me.
    5) Hmm... Emotional immaturity.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    Based on what I've seen in here, I'm surprised I'm married. :laugh:

-- I hate cats (wife and kids love them, so we currently have two, but I still don't like them, little toilet paper destroying bastiges)
    -- I smoke (going through the weight loss thing now, one disaster at a time)
    -- My wife is a weekend widow during football season (then again, I'm a widower during hockey season, so it evens out)
    -- I have a y chromosome. :bigsmile:
  • reneemosley
    reneemosley Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Bad teeth
    Lying
    If you drive a Volvo (No man should)
    If you love cats
    If you have never owned a Harley

Hmmm been married 22 years
  • reneemosley
    reneemosley Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Bad teeth
    Lying
    If you drive a Volvo (No man should)
    If you love cats
    If you have never owned a Harley

Hmmm been married 22 years
  • linxus
    linxus Posts: 87
    Options
    Smoking.

While it may look glamorous on TV and in movies, it stinks in real life.

This. My parents smoked and that forced me to despite/hate it.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    While dating & in established romantic relationships.

Distrust, jealousy, sexual incompatibility, disrespect and when he exhibits an extortionist-like form of entitlement towards what is mine and my sister's (money, property, ... et al) - he is out!
  • jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    Based on what I've seen in here, I'm surprised I'm married. :laugh:

-- I hate cats (wife and kids love them, so we currently have two, but I still don't like them, little toilet paper destroying bastiges)
    -- I smoke (going through the weight loss thing now, one disaster at a time)
    -- My wife is a weekend widow during football season (then again, I'm a widower during hockey season, so it evens out)
    -- I have a y chromosome. :bigsmile:

My husband is not really a cat person either-- he tolerates ours. If we move long distance again (a distinct possibility) the kittie may not come with us and we'll find him a good home. We have a miniature schnauzer too who was adopted when his owner went into a nursing home... typically had bigger dogs in the past.

I know I have several characteristics that have contributed to the longevity of this marriage... tolerance, flexibility, open mindedness, not nagging or *****ing, accepting him as he is, general kindness and being caring, great communication, being giving and considerate. I think without those qualities on both sides, marriage wouldn't have lasted.
  • foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Leaving the toilet seat down when I have to stand up to go pee :laugh:
  • RobfromLakewood
    Options
    been with my wife for 8 years, at worst we annoy each other from time to time, but trying to remember back to dating days:

I would never date anyone who was rude to waitstaff, it only happened a few times, but never a 2nd date.

Jealousy was kind of a pain , but I was dumped by a woman who was mad that I didn't get jealous (said it showed I didn't care about her), so go figure.
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Someone who is not self sufficient. If you have a roomate, I judge you.

Me too.
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Someone who is not self sufficient. If you have a roomate, I judge you.

Me too.

different in NYC.

If you are a person that can't take into consideration that there may be more to the story than you realize before making an all out judgment on someone - I will not sleep with you. Ever. You gross me out. Even if you live alone and shower 18 times a day in your empty house.
  • Freemyskinny
    Options
    A smoker.. :/ Kinda like "hows cancer feel.." (sorry if its a touchy subject.)
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Has to have a cute nose and feet...
  • IslandRider
    Options
    When I met my husband, these were it:

Must love beer and NASCAR, I love beer and try to go at least one race a year
    Must ride a motorcycle, I learned to ride about 10 yrs ago and can't see giving it up
    Can't want more kids, mine are grown.

:drinker:
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Infidelity.