I can eat whatever I want...

Options
as long as I hit 1500 cals or less. Im kind of shocked by this with all the success stories about low carb, clean eating, etc I have found the opposite to be true for me in terms of weight loss: I actually lose weight eating some junk food, sugar, etc.

I am eatting single servings of eggo waffles, candy, doritos sometimes as snacks/dessert sometimes instead of healthy alternatives (mostly bc I like that I know the exact calories from the package and also bc it feels like a splurge and keeps me on track) and as long as I stay at or below my cals for the day I seem to still lose weight. Obviously I eat protein and veggies too, but I still eat processed foods and "junk" everyday.
Does anyone else share my experience?

Replies

• majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Me! Oh, I do the chicken breast, veggies, organic brown rice, fruit, etc. etc...but I also declare pizza night a couple of times a month, eat a Lean Cuisine or Smart Ones for lunch from time to time, and have a TastyKake almost every day. And yes, as I've admitted before, if I get to the end of a day and have a lot of calories left over, I have been known to butter a PopTart.

And I've lost 7 pounds in less than 6 weeks, while having my goal set to .5 pound a week. Go figure.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I lost 35 pounds just staying in my calorie limits, so I had the same experience.

Funny enough, I didn't find these boards until that time because I had plateaued about five pounds away from my goal and was searching for answers. The MFP forum came up in my google search (I'd been a member of MFP for months but had only ever used it on my phone).

I read all this info about watching macros, raising protein levels, eating cleanly, eating back all of your exercise calories, etc. So I thought I'd found my glorious answer to reaching my goal and making it happen. Now I'm back to only caring about my calories and nothing else in order to re-lose the 20 pounds that I've put back on while eating cleanly and watching my macros. And I'm losing the weight again.
  • tangerine6392
    tangerine6392 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've done the same. As long as I'm eating around my calorie goal, I lose weight. I love pizza and spaghetti and cookies and brownies. I don't eat them everyday, but when I do, I make sure to make up for it by having a healthy lunch or working out. Speaking of cookies... That sounds like a delicious dessert for tonight lol.
  • stefa711
    stefa711 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight eating anything if you eat small enough amounts. Calories are calories, regardless of good or bad ingredients. You may find your weight loss to be more effective when you eat less junk (maybe not) and you'll almost certainly feel better and healthier. Realize that if you stop counting your calories and are still eating junk food, you may likely gain the weight back because those calories can add up very quickly.

Remember that it's not just about the number on the scale, you want to be healthy, too, right?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight eating anything if you eat small enough amounts. Calories are calories, regardless of good or bad ingredients. You may find your weight loss to be more effective when you eat less junk (maybe not) and you'll almost certainly feel better and healthier. Realize that if you stop counting your calories and are still eating junk food, you may likely gain the weight back because those calories can add up very quickly.

Remember that it's not just about the number on the scale, you want to be healthy, too, right?

Agreed. Calories for weight loss and eating nutrient dense foods for body compostiion and health.
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I eat super clean and avoid processed carb and all grains.

I do it for the same reason you eat junk food.

It helps me eat less.

There are so many variables. There should be only one rule, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    There are so many variables. There should be only one rule, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Quoted for truth!

I totally tried to fix what working for me and it created almost total failure. Back on my old ways I'm having success again.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Since I've been logging for the last seven months, I've come to the conclusion that there is no such thing as "junk" food.
  • rosikinslovesyou
    Options
    I've been lectured by 'experts'' so many times for my love of kiddies cereals (cookie crisp, cheerios, cocopops etc) but they've NEVER hindered my weightloss. ''Refined sugars blah blah''

My argument always is, ''It's MY breakfast, it makes me happy'', Id of never of lost the weight without my sugary cereals, because I just wouldn't have been happy eating ''porridge with linseed'' every morning. D:

I still get my fruit and veggies too!

I DO however make sure I weigh out a correct portion.
    Moderation is the key :)
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I aim to make at least 80% of my food choices healthy ones, but I still have room for some of my favorite sweets, fast food, and other junk each week.

For me, this is a huge part of making my diet sustainable. I have a lot of weight to lose, and in the past I've always tried to be "perfect" with my eating and never touch any sugar or fast food. And then I would fail, binge on the items I had restricted myself from eating, and give up on my diet. My life occasionally includes pizza and Girl Scout cookies, and that's OK with me, as long as I keep my portions smaller than I would have before I changed my habits.

My weight loss journey is probably going to take me two years, so the most important thing is that I keep going and don't give up.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I still eat at Wendy's, have cookies, chocolate, processed crap in a box for lunch, lots of other bad foods and I'm at goal and maintaining for 2 years now. Someday I may get healthy.....
  • linalovekitty
    Options
    Now I'm back to only caring about my calories and nothing else in order to re-lose the 20 pounds that I've put back on while eating cleanly and watching my macros. And I'm losing the weight again.

And here I thought I was the only person in the world who actually GAINED weight eating clean and cutting carbs! about 20lbs to be exact
  • SammiSpring
    Options
    A guy did a study where he lost weight eating twinkies.

It's all about calories in vs. calories out. Unless someone has a condition, certain foods won't make them gain weight or even lose, weight. It just happens that healthier food is less calorie dense and curbs hunger more than junk food.
  • linalovekitty
    Options
    I've been lectured by 'experts'' so many times for my love of kiddies cereals (cookie crisp, cheerios, cocopops etc) but they've NEVER hindered my weightloss. ''Refined sugars blah blah''

My argument always is, ''It's MY breakfast, it makes me happy'', Id of never of lost the weight without my sugary cereals, because I just wouldn't have been happy eating ''porridge with linseed'' every morning. D:

I still get my fruit and veggies too!

I DO however make sure I weigh out a correct portion.
    Moderation is the key :)

agreed. I feel great when I eat sugary cereal. I crave SUGAR in the morning. Ive tried the whole grain bread with the egg and veggies and I was starving and felt awful. I think different bodies react differently bc I do not feel unhealthy when I eat "junk" and I dont feel more hungry when I eat sugar/starch. In fact its when i remove these foods that I starve. I need a little treat to feel satsified
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I've had great success with my weight loss and I think it's because I haven't cut junk completely out of my diet (that's why I don't crave). I still eat junk, but in small portions and only if I have enough calories left after eating all of the good foods. I pretty much follow the 80/20 rule - 80% healthier foods, 20% crap.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    as long as I hit 1500 cals or less. Im kind of shocked by this with all the success stories about low carb, clean eating, etc I have found the opposite to be true for me in terms of weight loss: I actually lose weight eating some junk food, sugar, etc.

I am eatting single servings of eggo waffles, candy, doritos sometimes as snacks/dessert sometimes instead of healthy alternatives (mostly bc I like that I know the exact calories from the package and also bc it feels like a splurge and keeps me on track) and as long as I stay at or below my cals for the day I seem to still lose weight. Obviously I eat protein and veggies too, but I still eat processed foods and "junk" everyday.
    Does anyone else share my experience?

Yup. At the end of the day, weight loss is calories in - calories out. Other people may consider the food I eat to be "dirty" or unhealthy, but I get 1g/lb of LBM of protein, hit my calorie goals, and lose weight.
  • eowynmn
    eowynmn Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I eat mostly clean, but I have a good treat every day and I lose consistently every week. That being said, I'm doing WW - but the calories I get eating protein dense foods for my majority are very similar to MFP. I've been chowing on either GSC's or m&m's, one serving most nights here. Still losing. But then the majority of my days are filled with eggs and protein powerder, fish, chicken and veggies. so it's all about the balance IMO.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Yup! I eat candy and chocolate EVERY SINGLY DAY! I just stay at deficit by making smarter choices throughout the day and I'm golden. :bigsmile:
  • rachelbethany
    rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Of course! It's math!

But many people are concerned with so-called "clean eating" for reasons other than weight loss. Better skin, hair, kidney and liver function, teeth, and so on will result from eating 1500 calories of nutrient-rich foods, rather than including junk, not to mention avoiding carcinogens. But some people need moderate amounts of not-so-healthy foods in order to maintain balance. If that's what works for you, good, but be aware that just because you can lose weight eating junk doesn't mean your body will also function as well.
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I'm all for having "junk" every once in a while, and you can lose weight eating whatever you want as long as you have a calorie deficit, it's just how the body works. However, I don't think having junk/processed foods everyday is the best for your body's health and nutrition-wise, you could be eating something much better for you in place of that nutrient deficient food. If it helps you to lose weight initially to continue eating those things I think it's fine, but I think everyone's overall goal should be to be healthier. Just my opinion :flowerforyou: