I can eat whatever I want...

Options

Replies

• SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I've had great success with my weight loss and I think it's because I haven't cut junk completely out of my diet (that's why I don't crave). I still eat junk, but in small portions and only if I have enough calories left after eating all of the good foods. I pretty much follow the 80/20 rule - 80% healthier foods, 20% crap.

I've cut junk completely out of my diet and I don't crave either. I must work to stay very well-nourished though or the temptations get stronger. When you are young, you don't much think about the long term consequences of bad/empty-calorie-eating. When you get older and sicker you will. Believe me---I have sad experience in that department. :cry: Good health is a gift---please don't waste it.

You don't get it. What is the long term consequence of eating so-called "bad" food in small quantities that you have experienced or are you referring to in the medical lit.?

Unfortunately, I "get it" very well. I didn't say that eating junk food in small quantities will have long-term consequences. I do believe, though, that you are building your future health right now with how you treat your body (diet and exercise). Oh, a pig out at a burger joint at lunch time won't have you dead by supper, that's true, but just ask elite athletes what they feed their bodies to get the very best performance out of them. Aging can be thought of the same way---to get the best performance out of our bodies, what we do today can make a big difference in what we experience next year or next decade.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    meh. different strokes for different folks. of course i don't eat clean 100% of the time. i do give myself treats here and there. but i mostly eat clean. i'd rather not fill my body with chemicals all day.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    as long as I hit 1500 cals or less. Im kind of shocked by this with all the success stories about low carb, clean eating, etc I have found the opposite to be true for me in terms of weight loss: I actually lose weight eating some junk food, sugar, etc.

I am eatting single servings of eggo waffles, candy, doritos sometimes as snacks/dessert sometimes instead of healthy alternatives (mostly bc I like that I know the exact calories from the package and also bc it feels like a splurge and keeps me on track) and as long as I stay at or below my cals for the day I seem to still lose weight. Obviously I eat protein and veggies too, but I still eat processed foods and "junk" everyday.
    Does anyone else share my experience?

I've lost 95 pounds in 14 months, 89 of them in 12 months. I eat a cookie before bed most nights, it's a Kashi cookie which is fairly healthy for a cookie. I eat dark chocolate. But I still have a beer or glass of wine with dinner on anyday I'm not going to have to add a LOT of extra time to my workout as a result.

I have on occasion gone out to brazillian BBQ and eaten ALL THE MEATS. I've always put in extra exercise if needed for the extra food..

Last night for dinner was 1/4 of a dominoes pizza with Onion, Pineapple and Banana Peppers. 390 calories, and a small salad with lite italian dressing.(another 70 cals). Today for lunch and tomorrow for lunch is the same pizza with Broccoli slaw since my wife took all the lettuce and veggies for her lunches :tongue:

But it is the exercise that allows me the occasional calorie dense meal, but I try to make better choices when I do. In years past I would have eaten half of that pizza last night and the pizza would have been Sausage, Pepperoni and Extra cheese. Oh who am I kidding, in years past I would have eaten the whole thing for dinner and had 3 or 4 beers instead of my one.

But yeah you can lose weight just staying at a deficit. Because I have been eating mostly healthy I walked away from my last physical with what my doctor called "spot-on" blood work, and that was only after a 40 pound loss and I was still at that point borderline Obese. Now I am at normal weight and just 5 lbs away from my final goal. I've taken a foot off my waist and I might have to go down one more jeans size as my smallest pants dont need a belt but I am constantly feeling like I need to pull them up.
  • KatjaO
    KatjaO Posts: 71
    Options
    I find that I can eat much larger portions if I eat healthier foods, esp. Fruits and veggies. For me it is easier to stay full that way.
  • BullletproofPaleoman
    Options
    One time I ate a carbohydrate.....
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I find that I can eat much larger portions if I eat healthier foods, esp. Fruits and veggies. For me it is easier to stay full that way.

My wife had a hankering for and Made spice cake cupcakes with creeam cheese frosting. By using the smaller cupcake tray we wound up with 24 cupcakes instead of 12. They are only 176 calories each. I usually have a Kashi cookie at night which are either 130 or 140 calories depending on the type. They leave me filling much more filled than the cupcakes. They are tasty but I didn't cry when 12 of them were taken to my Wife's office. At one a day they'll be gone soon and I won't ask for more.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    One time I ate a carbohydrate.....

And did you die??
  • joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    So glad to hear this ... I feel like I am cheating every day by entering naughty foods and wine even when staying within my goals! However I am loosing weight slowly - who would have thought! for me I think its really the exercise that is doing the work with sensible eating without depriving myself - good work everyone:happy:
  • Maris_Swan
    Maris_Swan Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I do the 80-20 rule: I eat clean 80% of the time, 20% I have some treats. It's what has worked for me and you do not have to give up anything. All things in moderation! :)
  • Julieann777
    Julieann777 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am pretty much the same way. My calorie intake is usually around 1500/day, but I always allow room for my 'treats.' Had a Panera Bread shortbread cookie with my dinner last night and popcorn before going to bed. It seems to work for me. The extra carbs in the evening keeps me calm and actually gives me a better night sleep!

Although there are many who cannot do this, it seems to work for me, and, I don't feel guilty about it, as if it's a big "no-no". I say it's a "yes-yes-hallelujah" for those of us who can.

Julieann777
  • KatjaO
    KatjaO Posts: 71
    Options

My wife had a hankering for and Made spice cake cupcakes with creeam cheese frosting. By using the smaller cupcake tray we wound up with 24 cupcakes instead of 12. They are only 176 calories each. I usually have a Kashi cookie at night which are either 130 or 140 calories depending on the type. They leave me filling much more filled than the cupcakes. They are tasty but I didn't cry when 12 of them were taken to my Wife's office. At one a day they'll be gone soon and I won't ask for more.
    Exactly!

But whatever works for others.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I do the 80-20 rule: I eat clean 80% of the time, 20% I have some treats. It's what has worked for me and you do not have to give up anything. All things in moderation! :)

Me too! And that 20% includes alcohol, sugar, potatoes, bread, chips, whatever I fancy! It also makes life a lot easier if you are cooking for other people - no daft faddy diet plans eating food that makes you miserable.

At the end of the day it's calories in, calories out.
  • linalovekitty
    Options
    Now I'm back to only caring about my calories and nothing else in order to re-lose the 20 pounds that I've put back on while eating cleanly and watching my macros. And I'm losing the weight again.

And here I thought I was the only person in the world who actually GAINED weight eating clean and cutting carbs! about 20lbs to be exact

*high five* for finally finding someone else that experienced the same thing. Everyone thinks I'm crazy or must have been counting stuff wrong (I log everything and weigh everything by the gram!) I actually lose more weight when I'm averaging 50-60% carbs. I don't check in on my macros specifically anymore, but I throw everything in a spreadsheet still so I still the trends.

I know! I am finding that I lose MORE weight when I eat MORE starches. The best way I can describe it, is when I do low carb I felt like my body was shutting down, storing everything I put in my mouth etc. When I eat starch now, I feel like my body goes into fat burning mode. Yes, I stay below 1500 cals a day, I know Id gain if I ate 3000 cals worth of bagels. But my body feels so energized after starch and infact, the perfect meal for me is mostly carbs with a little bit of protein/fat. Like 2 pieces of bread (yes I do whole grain for the fiber) and a small amt of chicken. At most restaurants its funny bc you see people taking the bread off the sandwhich, I actually remove some of the meat and eat all the bread. Its ironic but it works for me
  • MizCJ84
    MizCJ84 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I've been lectured by 'experts'' so many times for my love of kiddies cereals (cookie crisp, cheerios, cocopops etc) but they've NEVER hindered my weightloss. ''Refined sugars blah blah''

My argument always is, ''It's MY breakfast, it makes me happy'', Id of never of lost the weight without my sugary cereals, because I just wouldn't have been happy eating ''porridge with linseed'' every morning. D:

I still get my fruit and veggies too!

I DO however make sure I weigh out a correct portion.
    Moderation is the key :)

agreed. I feel great when I eat sugary cereal. I crave SUGAR in the morning. Ive tried the whole grain bread with the egg and veggies and I was starving and felt awful. I think different bodies react differently bc I do not feel unhealthy when I eat "junk" and I dont feel more hungry when I eat sugar/starch. In fact its when i remove these foods that I starve. I need a little treat to feel satsified

As I stuff my face with this donut this morning, I was thinking the exact same thing. I don't feel hungry or unsatisfied, and I'll be fine until lunch time. I have eaten half of the donut so far, and I'm feeling quite stufffed actually. I have tried time and time again to eat healthy because I really do want to be healthy, but I always go back to the junk food and end up binging if I've been depriving myself for too long. I'm losing weight at a slow and steady rate, but at least I'm losing...and I'm happy while doing so.
  • Mindochka
    Mindochka Posts: 61 Member
    Options

On the money. Eat a balance, including those indulgences once in awhile (key words!) I am known to have some cookies, donuts, or BEER! here and there when I mentally can't get past it...or just really want it. I do a lot better if I have my beer and then double my exercise effort rather than think about the random "not good for me food" and torture myself. It is all about choices and moderation. I keep my general trend healthy. Sometimes it isn't a straight line trend but it works for me.
  • jgboogades
    jgboogades Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You guys should check out the study by Professor Haub: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Prof-Haubs-Diet-Experiments/152304481454281. All he ate was junk, but in his calorie limit.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    untitled_zps1d4b0a7d.png
  • linalovekitty
    Options
    I absolutely believe different bodies react differently to foods. My husband, the polar opposite of my experience, lost 60lbs giving up starches and limiting dairy. His appetite leveled and decreased significantly. When hed eat starches hed be starving. So he cut out most all junk and refined sugar. As we sat at a restaurant and I ate a roll he said to me "if I ate that, I wouldnt be able to stop. Id need to eat the whole basket". Its interesting bc when I eat a roll, I dont desire another one, it doesnt affect me in that way. But for him, starches lead to binges so cutting them out led to no binges, eating less and losing weight. We are living proof that different bodies react differently. Similarly when I went on his diet for a year, I gained nearly 15lbs and was starving all the time. i actually felt like I was dying on low carb. I was dizzy all the time and was beyond hungry regardless of calories. hes the opposite, he is never hungry on low carb
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,646 Member
    Options
    80/20 has been my philosophy for many years and I'm still about the same size as I was in my 20's.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

On the money. Eat a balance, including those indulgences once in awhile (key words!) I am known to have some cookies, donuts, or BEER! here and there when I mentally can't get past it...or just really want it. I do a lot better if I have my beer and then double my exercise effort rather than think about the random "not good for me food" and torture myself. It is all about choices and moderation. I keep my general trend healthy. Sometimes it isn't a straight line trend but it works for me.

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

One of the reasons I took up running was so that I didn't have to give up beer.