It's a fad diet if...

Options
I was looking for something unrelated to this at work today and found this great list of what not to look for in a 'diet'

Stay away from diets that:

* Promise a quick fix

* Recommend magical fat-burning effects of foods (eg
grapefruit), foods do not burn fat!

* Promote the avoidance or severe limitation of a whole
food group, such as carbohydrate foods or dairy foods
(and suggest large doses of vitamin and mineral
supplements as a replacement)

* Promote eating mainly one type of food (eg cabbage
soup or eggs)

* Suggest easy, rapid weight loss (more than 2lbs a week)

* Recommend eating foods only in particular combinations

* Make claims that sound 'too good to be true'

* Focus only on looks rather than health benefits

* Do not warn people with Diabetes, Heart Disease and Kidney disease to consult a health professional before following the diet

Some sound advice if I've ever heard any :)

Replies

• July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything except the limiting the carbs one. They are VALID lifestyle changes, help people to find out if they have food intolerances and actually find out how many carbs per day their body can actually handle to maintain their weight loss.

Low carb and controlled carb diets are NOT Fads. They are Lifestyle changes. That would not have been posted as a FAD Diet if some reading and research on Low Carb plans (like reading actual low carb plan books) was actually conducted.

It kills me how people would rather bash someone else's eating plan rather to read and research before opening their mouth with such fallacies.

:grumble:
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    It was written by the British Dietetic Association, I have a feeling they did their research ;) Research that they are well trained to do.

I know I'm never going to get you to agree though, so I'm not even going to try.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    It was written by the British Dietetic Association, I have a feeling they did their research ;) Research that they are well trained to do.

I know I'm never going to get you to agree though, so I'm not even going to try.

If they weren't being backed by some other agenda, they might be credible.

I trust the research of my own doing and the advise of my Naturopathic Doctor that knows the chemical makeup of a human being 10000 times over what any British Dietetic Association or regular Doctor would ever know.

The way I eat, I eat healthier than the MAJORITY of people on this site.

Low Carb = Eating a Natural Unprocessed Eating Plan so I don't even know how they would put that on their list.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    It's a fad if you're doing it as a diet, which is what the topic said. a lifestyle is not a diet.

so I say this post is absolutely accurate.
  • AmandaB4588
    AmandaB4588 Posts: 655
    Options
    This is great! Thanks for sharing.

July24Lioness--- I think the keywords are "severe limitation." The low carb craze was definitely a fad just as the low fat craze was. They do not work long term and are really unhealthy. But it's a totally different story than simply watching your carbs.

If you ask me, the best diet is a balanced diet.
  • mworld
    mworld Posts: 270
    Options
    I was looking for something unrelated to this at work today and found this great list of what not to look for in a 'diet'

Stay away from diets that:

* Promise a quick fix

* Recommend magical fat-burning effects of foods (eg
    grapefruit), foods do not burn fat!

* Promote the avoidance or severe limitation of a whole
    food group, such as carbohydrate foods or dairy foods
    (and suggest large doses of vitamin and mineral
    supplements as a replacement)

* Promote eating mainly one type of food (eg cabbage
    soup or eggs)

* Suggest easy, rapid weight loss (more than 2lbs a week)

* Recommend eating foods only in particular combinations

* Make claims that sound 'too good to be true'

* Focus only on looks rather than health benefits

* Do not warn people with Diabetes, Heart Disease and Kidney disease to consult a health professional before following the diet

Some sound advice if I've ever heard any :)

Rings true to me.
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Here's what the Mayo Clinic has to say about a Low Carb diet. It could be considered a fad diet dependent if they were on this diet to lose weight or for medical reasons.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/low-carb-diet/NU00279
    Low-carb diet
    Could a low-carb diet give you an edge in losing weight? Help you keep weight off permanently? Here's what you need to know about the low-carb diet.
    By Mayo Clinic staff
    Definition

A low-carb diet limits carbohydrates — such as bread, grains, rice, starchy vegetables and fruit — and emphasizes sources of protein and fat. Many types of low-carb diets exist, each with varying restrictions on the types and amounts of carbohydrates. Examples of low-carb diets include the Atkins diet and the Zone diet.
    Purpose

A low-carb diet is generally used to lose weight. You might choose a low-carb diet because you enjoy the types and amounts of food featured in the diet — or you may believe that a low-carb diet will help you lose weight quickly and easily.
    Diet details

Premise
    Carbohydrates are found in grains, dairy products, fruits, vegetables and legumes (beans and peas). They're also found in sugar and sweets. For most people, carbohydrates serve as a primary source of energy. During digestion, your body converts carbohydrates into sugar. As your blood sugar level rises, so does your insulin level. Insulin drives blood sugar into your cells to provide energy. Extra sugar is stored in your liver and muscles as glycogen.

The theory behind the low-carb diet is that insulin prevents fat breakdown in the body by allowing sugar to be used for energy. Proponents of the low-carb diet believe that a decrease in carbs results in lower insulin levels, which causes the body to burn stored fat for energy. Still, research suggests that any weight loss from a low-carb diet probably isn't related to blood sugar or insulin levels.

Typical menu
    In general, a low-carb diet focuses on meat, poultry, fish, eggs and some nonstarchy vegetables. A low-carb diet excludes or limits most grains, beans, fruits, breads, sweets, pastas and starchy vegetables. Some low-carb diet plans allow fruits, vegetables and whole grains. A daily limit of 50 to 150 grams of carbohydrates is typical.

Results

A low-carb diet is likely to promote weight loss, at least at first. Contributing factors may include:

* Loss of water weight. Low-carb diets often have a diuretic effect.
    * Increased feeling of fullness. A low-carb diet is relatively high in fat and protein. Since fat and protein take longer to digest than do carbs, you may feel fuller longer.
    * Reduced calories. A low-carb diet strictly limits the variety of foods you eat. This generally results in fewer calories overall.

A low-carb diet may also help lower your cholesterol level, as long as you choose monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. If you eat foods high in saturated fat — which technically fit the criteria of a low-carb diet — you may actually increase your cholesterol.

The weight loss may or may not continue long term, depending on your commitment to following the eating plan. If you abandon the low-carb diet and return to your former eating habits, you may regain any lost weight.
    Risks

Depending on what you eat, a low-carb diet may be high in saturated fat and cholesterol. This can increase the risk of heart disease and perhaps some types of cancer.

If you're limiting fruits, vegetables and whole-grain foods, you may not get enough fiber — which can contribute to constipation and other gastrointestinal problems.

Ketosis — a condition caused by incomplete fat breakdown — also may be a concern with a low-carb diet. Ketosis can cause weakness, nausea, dehydration, dizziness and irritability.

Remember, the healthiest diet is based on fruits, vegetables, whole grains and lean sources of protein — not rigid lists of "good" and "bad" foods.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Here's what the Mayo Clinic has to say about a Low Carb diet. It could be considered a fad diet dependent if they were on this diet to lose weight or for medical reasons.

Low-carb diet
    Could a low-carb diet give you an edge in losing weight? Help you keep weight off permanently? Here's what you need to know about the low-carb diet.
    By Mayo Clinic staff
    Definition

A low-carb diet limits carbohydrates — such as bread, grains, rice, starchy vegetables and fruit — and emphasizes sources of protein and fat. Many types of low-carb diets exist, each with varying restrictions on the types and amounts of carbohydrates. Examples of low-carb diets include the Atkins diet and the Zone diet.
    Purpose

A low-carb diet is generally used to lose weight. You might choose a low-carb diet because you enjoy the types and amounts of food featured in the diet — or you may believe that a low-carb diet will help you lose weight quickly and easily.
    Diet details

Premise
    Carbohydrates are found in grains, dairy products, fruits, vegetables and legumes (beans and peas). They're also found in sugar and sweets. For most people, carbohydrates serve as a primary source of energy. During digestion, your body converts carbohydrates into sugar. As your blood sugar level rises, so does your insulin level. Insulin drives blood sugar into your cells to provide energy. Extra sugar is stored in your liver and muscles as glycogen.

The theory behind the low-carb diet is that insulin prevents fat breakdown in the body by allowing sugar to be used for energy. Proponents of the low-carb diet believe that a decrease in carbs results in lower insulin levels, which causes the body to burn stored fat for energy. Still, research suggests that any weight loss from a low-carb diet probably isn't related to blood sugar or insulin levels.

Typical menu
    In general, a low-carb diet focuses on meat, poultry, fish, eggs and some nonstarchy vegetables. A low-carb diet excludes or limits most grains, beans, fruits, breads, sweets, pastas and starchy vegetables. Some low-carb diet plans allow fruits, vegetables and whole grains. A daily limit of 50 to 150 grams of carbohydrates is typical.

Results

A low-carb diet is likely to promote weight loss, at least at first. Contributing factors may include:

* Increased feeling of fullness. A low-carb diet is relatively high in fat and protein. Since fat and protein take longer to digest than do carbs, you may feel fuller longer.
    * Reduced calories. A low-carb diet strictly limits the variety of foods you eat. This generally results in fewer calories overall.

A low-carb diet may also help lower your cholesterol level, as long as you choose monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. If you eat foods high in saturated fat — which technically fit the criteria of a low-carb diet — you may actually increase your cholesterol.

The weight loss may or may not continue long term, depending on your commitment to following the eating plan. If you abandon the low-carb diet and return to your former eating habits, you may regain any lost weight.
    Risks

Depending on what you eat, a low-carb diet may be high in saturated fat and cholesterol. This can increase the risk of heart disease and perhaps some types of cancer.

If you're limiting fruits, vegetables and whole-grain foods, you may not get enough fiber — which can contribute to constipation and other gastrointestinal problems.

Ketosis — a condition caused by incomplete fat breakdown — also may be a concern with a low-carb diet. Ketosis can cause weakness, nausea, dehydration, dizziness and irritability.

Remember, the healthiest diet is based on fruits, vegetables, whole grains and lean sources of protein — not rigid lists of "good" and "bad" foods.

Well, i am living proof that Low Carb Lifestyles are not unhealthy, don't cause constipation, Ketosis is not unhealthy or cause weakness....................This is a bunch of hog wash.

And I have been consuming mostly Saturated fats as I no longer use any type of Vegetable Oils as they are far more dangerous. Saturated fats DO not cause elevated cholesterol (mine has actually went way down) and do not cause cancer or heart disease. I invite you to check out my blood work from last year and I will be posting my results again as soon as I get them from my Doctor.

Have any of you ever even read any of the Low Carb books to actually investigate the Science behind it?

Atkins allows for all foods, but in a certain order to see if there are any food intolerances for each individual person. South Beach is very similar.

Everything the Mayo Clinic states is not valid. I can post plenty of data from years of research to refute each and every statement that is posted above.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    It's a fad if you're doing it as a diet, which is what the topic said. a lifestyle is not a diet.

so I say this post is absolutely accurate.

Ok, so if we go with that premise.........................

Any that says they are on a calorie counting diet is on a fad diet and also if they are on a low fat diet.

I don't see anyone calling these "Diets" a Fad.

And the word Diet merely means the food we consume, so everyone is on a "Diet" of some sort no matter what, unless of course they are not eating.
  • MyKidzMom
    MyKidzMom Posts: 97
    Options

If they weren't being backed by some other agenda, they might be credible.

I trust the research of my own doing and the advise of my Naturopathic Doctor that knows the chemical makeup of a human being 10000 times over what any British Dietetic Association or regular Doctor would ever know.

The way I eat, I eat healthier than the MAJORITY of people on this site.

Low Carb = Eating a Natural Unprocessed Eating Plan so I don't even know how they would put that on their list.

I have to agree with the original post as far as the fad diets.

I would like to know though where all the attitude some people on this site comes from? We are all here for the same reason! And July as far as making the statement that you eat healthier than the MAJORITY of people on this site, I am pretty sure that is not correct unless you have doen your research of the thousands who use it and have checked out all of their food diaries.
    There is absolutely no reason to get on these boards and have attitude towards one another. If you want to have attitude have it about something that deserves attitude, not a person that is posting something trying to help all of us. If you are angry, go for a walk and cool off before deciding to post. And finally have a great day.....
  • AmandaB4588
    AmandaB4588 Posts: 655
    Options

I am really confused by this comment. First off, you do not eat a non-processed foods diet (judging from your diary.) Second, I have eaten an entirely non-processed foods diet before that included a lot of carbs. Huh?
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    No one diet is right for everyone, that's the most true statement ever said.

My husband did a low carb diet for a few months a while back and had great success. I did the same diet along with him and only lost a few pounds. Later we took a quiz somewhere by a dietitian - a lengthy quiz (probably 100 questions) addressing cravings, responses to foods, times we are most hungry, all kinds of stuff. It suggested that I would respond most favorably to a 30/30/40 diet (30% of calories from carbs, 30% from fat, 40% from protein), while he would be best served by a considerably higher protein and lower carb diet. It was interesting that the quiz mirrored our experience with the low carb diet we did together.

The fad warnings are good ones though ... Thanks one and all for sharing! This is the kind of stuff that helps everyone learn and think :smile:
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options

Low-carb diet
    By Mayo Clinic staff
    Definition

Purpose

Diet details

Premise

Typical menu

Results

Risks

I think when people think of the "no carb diets" they are thinking atkins.. and we all know that this was a fad of some sort.. however, south beach came out, not eliminating them but changing your eating of carbs.. MOST people who eat bread and pasta eat prossesed bread and pasta.. "the good tasteing stuff" like white bread and regular pasta and pototaes... well then came along the dr's who found out that many individuals cannot proecess the processed stuff.. like white bread.. so they changed them to a low carb diet.. which in all realitiy lowering sugar. thats all.. High Fiber breads and pastas, checking to see how many carbs per serving.. I am one of these individuals... I still eat pizza. (but now they have whole grain pizza curst) and when I want a burger I eat light burger buns.. HUGE differnce in sugar.. thats what carbs are.. NOT eating only fattening foods like bacon and fatty hamburgers... but this is just what I have learned.... If you eat the reccomended amount of whole grains, protein, fruits, veggies and dairy.. you will loose weight, and adding in exersize is GREAT TOO.. so to hte fad diet post.. YES any diet that will have you loose 10 lbs a week.. CRAZY... Anyone who is doing low carb... is most likely trying to become pregnate or dealing with something called insulin resistant or PCOS... SO yes FAD DIETS DON"T WORK... changing your eating habits to better your health and loose weight at a slow natural pace GREAT :)

hope this helps anyone who is doing Low carb and gets discouraged
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    WOW, a lot of comments added while I was writing my previous comment! :laugh:
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I haven't read any of the books that you claim explain the science behind low carb diets. I have however read countless scientific articles which assess the side-effects of low carbohydrate diets. These articles present the methods they use to draw these conclusions and by assessing the methods, health professionals can determine whether or not the study is legitimate.

I just choose to believe that is more accurate research than reading books. Actually, I could argue that these are much more likely to be written with an agenda... because selling a book can make a lot of money.

For what it is worth, I agree that low carbohydrate diets will help you lose weight but I also believe it comes at a nutritional and health cost.
  • July24Lioness
    Options

Low-carb diet
    By Mayo Clinic staff
    Definition

Purpose

Diet details

Premise

Typical menu

Results

Risks

I think when people think of the "no carb diets" they are thinking atkins.. and we all know that this was a fad of some sort.. however, south beach came out, not eliminating them but changing your eating of carbs.. MOST people who eat bread and pasta eat prossesed bread and pasta.. "the good tasteing stuff" like white bread and regular pasta and pototaes... well then came along the dr's who found out that many individuals cannot proecess the processed stuff.. like white bread.. so they changed them to a low carb diet.. which in all realitiy lowering sugar. thats all.. High Fiber breads and pastas, checking to see how many carbs per serving.. I am one of these individuals... I still eat pizza. (but now they have whole grain pizza curst) and when I want a burger I eat light burger buns.. HUGE differnce in sugar.. thats what carbs are.. NOT eating only fattening foods like bacon and fatty hamburgers... but this is just what I have learned.... If you eat the reccomended amount of whole grains, protein, fruits, veggies and dairy.. you will loose weight, and adding in exersize is GREAT TOO.. so to hte fad diet post.. YES any diet that will have you loose 10 lbs a week.. CRAZY... Anyone who is doing low carb... is most likely trying to become pregnate or dealing with something called insulin resistant or PCOS... SO yes FAD DIETS DON"T WORK... changing your eating habits to better your health and loose weight at a slow natural pace GREAT :)

hope this helps anyone who is doing Low carb and gets discouraged

First of all Atkins is NOT a "No Carb" Diet, you eat plenty of carbs (Where are you getting information that Atkins is a NO CARB plan????)

Atkins is NOT a FAD of any kind. It is a Nutrionally Sound eating plan that has 4 phases to it. In Phase 1 you are merely eating protein and green, leafy veggies to rid yourself of sugar, caffeine and starchy carb cravings...............

Once you get into Phase 2, you are adding in more veggies, fruits, nuts and seeds, dairy, beans/legumes and grains. The reason each food group is added in slowly is so you can find out if you, as an individual have any food allergies or intolerances..............\

Phase 3 has you upping your carbs to the point you are barely losing so you can learn to maintain your loss.

Phase 4 is Lifetime Maintenance - You are eating foods from all food groups (Eating, natural WHOLE Foods) and maintaining your weight.

Please get the 2002 copy of DANDR and READ it, cover to cover. You will be highly amazed at what you find and the Science behind it.
  • saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Okay...I have to throw my 2 cents worth in as another fellow Atkins follower. For everyone who wants to bash the lifestyle, why not go and read on the "diet" itself? Or perhaps check out the food diaries of those who follow Atkins? I've been doing this for almost a year with a lot of success and have felt an overall improvement in my health and well being since cutting out the processed carbs and crap. I get my carbs from fruits and veggies and will eat healthy grains or the occasional sweet potato when I want it. I also still eat "bad" carbs. I'll eat crappy chocolate or have some pasta or god forbid, potatoes, just because I want them! This is a lifestyle change, not a diet. I eat very healthy - a lot of protein and fiber, lean meats, green veggies, fresh fruits. I mean really, to all you naysayers who calorie count or follow a different "diet" how is this but so much different from how YOU eat?

Really guys...just don't bash something until you know what it's all about...:grumble:
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    I haven't read any of the books that you claim explain the science behind low carb diets. I have however read countless scientific articles which assess the side-effects of low carbohydrate diets. These articles present the methods they use to draw these conclusions and by assessing the methods, health professionals can determine whether or not the study is legitimate.

I just choose to believe that is more accurate research than reading books. Actually, I could argue that these are much more likely to be written with an agenda... because selling a book can make a lot of money.

For what it is worth, I agree that low carbohydrate diets will help you lose weight but I also believe it comes at a nutritional and health cost.

Get a copy of the following books and READ them cover to cover.

The Primal Blue Print by Mark Sisson
    South Beach Diet
    Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution, 2002 edition by Robert C. Atkins

All of these books well explain the science about what is going on in your body.

There are no side effects to a low carb eating plan except for getting healthier and eating an all natural and unprocessed meals.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Okay...I have to throw my 2 cents worth in as another fellow Atkins follower. For everyone who wants to bash the lifestyle, why not go and read on the "diet" itself? Or perhaps check out the food diaries of those who follow Atkins? I've been doing this for almost a year with a lot of success and have felt an overall improvement in my health and well being since cutting out the processed carbs and crap. I get my carbs from fruits and veggies and will eat healthy grains or the occasional sweet potato when I want it. I also still eat "bad" carbs. I'll eat crappy chocolate or have some pasta or god forbid, potatoes, just because I want them! This is a lifestyle change, not a diet. I eat very healthy - a lot of protein and fiber, lean meats, green veggies, fresh fruits. I mean really, to all you naysayers who calorie count or follow a different "diet" how is this but so much different from how YOU eat?

Really guys...just don't bash something until you know what it's all about...:grumble:

This is exactly what I am saying!!!

I eat the same way, except for no grains or beans for me.
  • Roxie65
    Roxie65 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I usually try to stay out of these arguments but I have high cholesterol which is a result from eating Saturated Fats. My dr. had me read a book written by Cardiologist and it said that you need to keep your Sat fats to 10grms I did this and my cholesterol came down so whoever is telling you that it does not cause high cholesterol needs to check his medical books.
This discussion has been closed.