Curvy Does Not Mean Plus Sized!

Options

Replies

• fIashforward
    fIashforward Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Don't really see the need to create a thread like this.
    If I broke it down even further, there would be even more body types.

Fact is, if your plus-sized, you're obviously curvy so I don't see what they did wrong.

Curvy very often substitutes plus-size now, and I don't see the problem. It makes some people feel better about themselves, what's the problem?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Small women can be curvy. Women with high body fat can be curvy. Roads can be curvy.

I don't understand why this is something to get upset over. It's just a word.
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't agree with the fashion industry's definitions - especially regarding athletic women. I watched a segment where two women, a skinny runway model and athletic, shapely model, were trying on dresses. The fashion expert would always refer to the woman with the athletic build as having a rectangular body despite the fact she had far more curves and shape than the shapeless, rectangular runway model...It really defies all logic.

THIS. SO MUCH THIS. I have a conspiracy theory it's because secretly fashion designers hate women. Probably because they are all at least a little "fabulous". At least the men.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Plus size women have curves therefore they are curvy. Lets see how you feel someday when you get pregnant and your husband calls you fat instead of curvy. That little figure is not a permanent thing sweetheart and someday you will prefer not to be called a whale.
    Uh not that I agree with the OP but sweety that shouldn't happen to anyone. And if its happened to you I don't think your size is the problem.

Oh lord no! I would have beat him to a pulp for that. No I figured pregnancy is one area she could possibly see herself not being tiny and wanted her to understand how her comment was just as insensitive.
  • a_claire
    a_claire Posts: 61
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQXmRZEZOpKZW971O8H9TipNXtA2cnHfG98Ffye_5pYf_XSjGmBgA

1zvy2d.gif

F*** you and your body shaming.

i don't know why this photo comaprison is considered 'body shaming'. more to the point, i don't know why being fat is considered shameful.
    'fat' is nothing more than a word - either a noun (olive oil is a healthy fat), or an adjective (nashsheri33 has a fat body). as an adjective, it is no 'better' or 'worse' than any other.

if someone were to describe me as 'fat', i do not find it offensive, because i am, in fact, fat. the person might also describe me as 'short', or 'freckled'. that would also be an accurate description, not an attempt to insult or offend. i am what i am.

there's nothing wrong with the way either of these ladies looks. neither has any reason to feel ashamed. they are what they are.

feelings of shame should be based on bad behavior, not physical appearance. if a person does something wrong (rob a bank, for example), a person should feel shame.

most people tend to think the word 'fat' is some sort of character assassination. i'd much rather be 'fat' than 'dishonest' or 'greedy'. being 'fat' does not make me a 'bad person'.

i believe the OP was merely making a statement about the lack of accuracy the magazine writers used when choosing an adjective to describe a woman who possesses too much adipose tissue. very likely the authors were trying to keep from offending sensitive ladies who feel as though being called 'fat' is an insult, even though they may in fact possess too much adipose tissue. the adjective that they chose was confusing, since fat women are indeed 'curvy', but not all 'curvy' women are fat. (sort of the way jacuzzis are hot tubs, but not all hot tubs are jacuzzis.)

clarity is important in order to communicate effectively. that is all.

^^This.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    f09510a4-2801-47bc-a160-6557c8de0507_zps9f7fdc4a.jpg

Am I curvy or fat, OP?

I'm a size 18.

Also, ignore the dirty mirror.

Don't bash because you're insecure with yourself.

you are so freaking hot!!!!

You are NOT a size 18, you're hot sex! Whatever! :P

Are you calling her a liar then? Sorry, but there *are* curvy women in a size 18. It has to do with hip-to-waist ratio. :wink:
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options

Am I curvy or fat, OP?

I'm a size 18.

10/10. Would bang.
  • Emma_Problema
    Emma_Problema Posts: 422 Member
    Options

1zvy2d.gif

i don't know why this photo comaprison is considered 'body shaming'. more to the point, i don't know why being fat is considered shameful.
    'fat' is nothing more than a word - either a noun (olive oil is a healthy fat), or an adjective (nashsheri33 has a fat body). as an adjective, it is no 'better' or 'worse' than any other.

if someone were to describe me as 'fat', i do not find it offensive, because i am, in fact, fat. the person might also describe me as 'short', or 'freckled'. that would also be an accurate description, not an attempt to insult or offend. i am what i am.

there's nothing wrong with the way either of these ladies looks. neither has any reason to feel ashamed. they are what they are.

feelings of shame should be based on bad behavior, not physical appearance. if a person does something wrong (rob a bank, for example), a person should feel shame.

most people tend to think the word 'fat' is some sort of character assassination. i'd much rather be 'fat' than 'dishonest' or 'greedy'. being 'fat' does not make me a 'bad person'.

i believe the OP was merely making a statement about the lack of accuracy the magazine writers used when choosing an adjective to describe a woman who possesses too much adipose tissue. very likely the authors were trying to keep from offending sensitive ladies who feel as though being called 'fat' is an insult, even though they may in fact possess too much adipose tissue. the adjective that they chose was confusing, since fat women are indeed 'curvy', but not all 'curvy' women are fat. (sort of the way jacuzzis are hot tubs, but not all hot tubs are jacuzzis.)

1) This picture is clearly not for clarification purposes. This is not a scientific discussion. It is setting one body apart from the other and in this case it's implying that one body is preferred. I think that's pretty obvious.

2) Fat is definitely more than a word. Fat is a loaded term. If anyone has ever called you fat, you'd know that it isn't just an adjective. Further more, words aren't "just words". Every word has a history of use and a cultural/ social connection.

3) Yes, there is no shame in looking a particular way. But we're made to feel that way ALL THE TIME. And most people do feel like they are shamed for being fat.
  • gr8pillock
    gr8pillock Posts: 374 Member
    Options

Am I curvy or fat, OP?

I'm a size 18.

you are so freaking hot!!!!

You are NOT a size 18, you're hot sex! Whatever! :P

Are you calling her a liar then? Sorry, but there *are* curvy women in a size 18. It has to do with hip-to-waist ratio. :wink:

No, I was just saying she's gorgeous and size doesn't matter.

As in, I'm a size ten, but that's in america, and I would much prefer to be called a "Sex goddess" than a size.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    [Never mind, can't get the picture to show.]
  • Morgalla
    Morgalla Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    OMG you are killing me!!! You look great, your Highness :D
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Warning: This is a rant, if you don't want to read it--move on.

So this past weekend I was skimming through a magazine (a fashion one, I don't remember the name). Anyways, they had a section showing how every body type could wear a certain jacket, and which one was best for each. The included body types were: "petite", "tall", "pear", "athletic", and "curvy". The "petite" woman was short, but proportional. The "tall" was the same, but tall. The "pear" shaped was exactly that, small on top and larger on the bottom.The "athletic" body was essentially a rectangular body shape. The "curvy" was a plus sized woman (size 18 or 20 ish).

I was immediately pissed. I don't understand why "curvy" has come to replace the term "plus sized". I am NOT plus sized, I am curvy. My measurements are 37-27-38. None of the body types they included were accurate to my body type, and I feel like this is common in magazines. Why can't we just call plus sized plus sized?

"Curvy" is meant to be an hourglass figure, and I hate that the word has been taken over by those who are plus sized and merely want to avoid the term "plus sized". It's stupid. I'm NOT SAYING that women that are plus sized can't be hourglass shapes. That happens a lot!! But, I don't know...it just bothers me when it's implied that curvy means fat.

Ugh.

/rant.

Is there a rule that only size zero models are allowed to be shown ?

Was the plus sized model, curvy? or was she apple, pear, petite, tall?

if she was still an hourglass shape, and curvy, what's the problem?

If it was modelling a jacket suitable for an hourglass figure, then an hourglass can be sized 8, 10, 19, 20, but it's still the same shape, so the jacket will still suit regardless.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

I was immediately pissed. I don't understand why "curvy" has come to replace the term "plus sized". I am NOT plus sized, I am curvy. My measurements are 37-27-38. None of the body types they included were accurate to my body type, and I feel like this is common in magazines. Why can't we just call plus sized plus sized?

You are not plus-sized. You are not obese. These terms are not offensive to you because you are fortunate enough not to be in those categories. However, many including myself...are. Curvy is just a polite way of calling someone overweight or plus-sized. It sounds better and it's not as rude. Be lucky you don't have to suffer a very unforgiving and sometime cruel society.

plus- sized and full-figured used to be the polite euphemism. at what point will curvy become too rude?

maybe people should stop being so concerned with being rude or being offended about their body and focus their attention on making changes if they arent happy about it.

and for the record, when i was at my heaviest (a size 22) i had no issues with being called (or calling myself) fat, overweight or obese because all those were true. i've always believed that no one can make you feel anyway about your body unless you're already believing it yourself, and that also goes for body shaming
  • gr8pillock
    Options

1zvy2d.gif

1) This picture is clearly not for clarification purposes. This is not a scientific discussion. It is setting one body apart from the other and in this case it's implying that one body is preferred. I think that's pretty obvious.

2) Fat is definitely more than a word. Fat is a loaded term. If anyone has ever called you fat, you'd know that it isn't just an adjective. Further more, words aren't "just words". Every word has a history of use and a cultural/ social connection.

3) Yes, there is no shame in looking a particular way. But we're made to feel that way ALL THE TIME. And most people do feel like they are shamed for being fat.

The word Fat and I do NOT get along. My daughter is eight years old, she has been taught that the word Fat ranks up there with other F words.

We refer to being overweight as 'having a big tummy' (her terms) and that attempting to lose weight has nothing to do with weight, it is 'getting healthy.'

I'm proud of that. Because the word Fat IS loaded. It is NOT something you use to refer to another person out of concern or care, it is an insult, whether it be true or not. There a women who weigh less than me who have a high body fat percentage than I do... but in comparison, is someone going to call the thinner person 'the fat one?' Probably not. I say DOWN with the word Fat! :)
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options
    I only get pissed at jeans labeled "curvy" that are huge in the waist. Make it stop.

that is what (I think!!!) the OP is ranting about

it happens because women who aren't necessarily curvy call themselves curvy. And the people who make the jeans want to market their jeans to as many people as they can. so like vanity sizing, they call a relaxed fit jean "curvy"

and yes, I think this does indeed hurt and frustrate those of us who are really curvy and have a HARD TIME FINDING CLOTHES THAT FIT.
  • a_claire
    a_claire Posts: 61
    Options
    I'm not going to go through and reply to each and every person on this board. Also, if you're expecting me to apologize, I'm not going to. I prefaced my post saying that I was posting a rant, and those who didn't have to read it--shouldn't. I did not body shame anyone in my post. I do not hate fat people. I have been a fat person for most of my life. I loved my body when it was larger, and I love my body now. So there's no need to insult me by saying that I am insecure, and that must be why I posted it. I'm not. Sure, there are parts of my body I don't love. But I have a healthy, strong body of which I am proud.

My post was not meant to attack anyone, it was merely me expressing my disdain for magazines who publish things like that. For the record, the plus sized woman in the article was not an hourglass. I would say she was more of an apple body type. I would have had absolutely no problem if the woman had been an hourglass shape! Why is it that women who are plus sized are only reserved for the "curvy" category? There are plenty of plus sized women who are apples, or pears, but they are only ever categorized as "curvy".

Also, to those who were saying that I am a "poor skinny girl" complaining about how hard life is. I'm not skinny.

That is all.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Also, if you're expecting me to apologize, I'm not going to.

I don't think anyone expected you to apologise.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    " I am NOT plus sized" okay..... why do you feel the need to emphasize that your NOT plus size? It must be because you are so insecure about your size that you must demean those who are shaped larger than you...

Seriously, I don't get offended when skinny girls call themselves "curvy." Even though stick figures don't have curves. If some one wants to call themselves super woman, I don't care!

<3 IT!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    This started decades ago when Macy's named the plus size departent "Women's". Ticked off the thin women I know.
  • gr8pillock
    Options
    I'm not going to go through and reply to each and every person on this board. Also, if you're expecting me to apologize, I'm not going to. I prefaced my post saying that I was posting a rant, and those who didn't have to read it--shouldn't. I did not body shame anyone in my post. I do not hate fat people. I have been a fat person for most of my life. I loved my body when it was larger, and I love my body now. So there's no need to insult me by saying that I am insecure, and that must be why I posted it. I'm not. Sure, there are parts of my body I don't love. But I have a healthy, strong body of which I am proud.

My post was not meant to attack anyone, it was merely me expressing my disdain for magazines who publish things like that. For the record, the plus sized woman in the article was not an hourglass. I would say she was more of an apple body type. I would have had absolutely no problem if the woman had been an hourglass shape! Why is it that women who are plus sized are only reserved for the "curvy" category? There are plenty of plus sized women who are apples, or pears, but they are only ever categorized as "curvy".

Also, to those who were saying that I am a "poor skinny girl" complaining about how hard life is. I'm not skinny.

That is all.

I think if you'd been more clear on the shape of the plus sized girl, it might not have caused such a response. And perhaps you're reading a crappy magazine?? If that magazine is categorizing size over shape in its 'clothing advice' column, it's a rag, plain and simple.

Don't read magazines for clothes, they know nothing of body type and fit. Go find old episodes of Trinny and Susannah's What Not to Wear, or pick up one of their books. They're gods when it comes to that stuff.
This discussion has been closed.