Curvy Does Not Mean Plus Sized!

Options

Replies

• mjhedgehog
    mjhedgehog Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    where I work we sell legit curvy jeans in our junior department. They go all the way from size 3-17 so theres a wide range of sizes which is cool.
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options
    inskywithdiamonds...and sarahmosta.....if you two want to sugar coat it fine. Call them whatever you want. But just because they have hour glass proportions does not make them curvy. I'll rephrase though if it helps....if you have a BMI in the overweight and above category...I don't care what your proportions are...you aren't curvy ...you're fat...medically speaking. Your doctor isn't going to come in and say "heyy you've got a really curvy body lately"...No, he's going to come in and say your overweight/fat. Really it is as simple as that. If your waist is slightly smaller but your stomach protrudes and you have rolls you are not curvy. You can call it what you like, but we are going to have to agree to disagree. I think they're fat, and calling them curvy is only a device used by others to be "politically correct", or it is used by the individual to make themselves feel better...Also, just because I said pick a different adj doesn't mean I was applying it to myself. I really didn't care what I was when I was bigger...I only knew I was fat... I called it what it was. When I lost weight I had a body type again I'm quite happy...not insecure as @sarahmonsta so ignorantly stated. Just because I have an opinion that differs from yours does not make me insecure, or jealous, or anything for that matter...It just means we don't see eye to eye. I, like the ranting girl, am sick of the media and society calling obviously fat girls curvy. They refuse to use the fat word because they are afraid to offend, and fat girls the world over are afraid to use it themselves because they are upset, ashamed, fill in the blank...that they are fat. This is just how I feel. I'm not going to convince you otherwise, and you're not going to change my mind so....we simply have to agree to disagree. :)

no.... no... no.... just NO

of all the posts I've seen on this thread that people have termed "offensive" this one is the most ignorant and offensive IMHO.

I am overweight. I have no rolls. I have a definite SHAPE. it is hourglass.
    it is VERY hourglass.
    In fact my doctors are always happy with my shape, because despite having a BMI that is overweight I have a small waist to hip ratio which for women puts you at a very LOW risk of most of the diseases that go hand in hand with being overweight.
    there are healthy Overweight people out there.
    there are also CURVY overweight women. LOTS of them.

and I can stick my foot behind my head just as well as you can, and have tons of cleavage while doing it!
  • la_ro
    la_ro Posts: 5
    Options
    Seriously, I don't get offended when skinny girls call themselves "curvy." Even though stick figures don't have curves. If some one wants to call themselves super woman, I don't care!

Please don't call thin women "stick figures." You can encourage others to be more considerate without being inconsiderate yourself.
  • lexherrera
    lexherrera Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    and I can stick my foot behind my head just as well as you can, and have tons of cleavage while doing it!

:laugh:
  • purplecharm
    purplecharm Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I kind of understand where the the OP is coming from. My issue with "curvy" is from a different perspective. I am plus-sized and have the inverted triangle shape. I am not curvy in the least bit, but for some reason the plus-sized fashion industry has conditioned society to believe that plus-sized and curvy are synonymous and they are not. I don't look good in most plus-sized clothes because they are made for women with actual curves and I don't have curves. I don't have hips or a butt. My back and shoulders are big and broad and I carry most of my excess weight in my abdomen. Trying to buy clothes to fit my body shape is a nightmare. I hope it gets a little better when I am not longer in the plus-sized section.

The real issue is mass-produced clothes. The retail industry cannot possibly make clothes for all the different body shapes and variations, so we are forced to buy off the rack and just make it work. None of this was an issue when people used to make their own clothes.
  • SpiraI
    SpiraI Posts: 3
    Options
    I agree.
  • purplecharm
    purplecharm Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I wanted to also add that just like curvy is not synonymous to plus-sized, you can be curvy AND plus-sized.

Here is an example.

tumblrm3ufk9ysrw1qg7d0h.jpg
  • AmandaPandah
    AmandaPandah Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Preach gurl!
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Sheesh if one is going to rant about a woman in a magazine. The rant should be about the excess use of photoshop! Seriously they do a lot of damage to women, and our expectations of realistic goals.
  • Froody2
    Froody2 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    What a stupid thing to argue about. Still, there's been some excellent gifs so it hasn't been a complete waste :drinker:
  • LivDixon
    LivDixon Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I wanted to also add that just like curvy is not synonymous to plus-sized, you can be curvy AND plus-sized.

Here is an example.

tumblrm3ufk9ysrw1qg7d0h.jpg

I love Tanesha!
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I recently saw someone describe Kate Upton who was on the cover of SI as "plus sized". I was like WTF? I will tell you straight up that I like women who are a little curvy. I find the feeling of curvy women, my wife in particular, much more exciting.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Here you go:

http://www.eshakti.com/default.aspx

Every item of clothing FULLY customizable to your exact measurements.

Have you ordered anything from eshakti? can you comment on their quality? because looking at the website photos of their models and how the dresses fit them is not making me want to bust out the credit card...

lmao
    my thoughts exactly.

Yes, actually. I bought this dress:

CL0022018_OSP.jpg

and I adore it. It is very thick cotton material, well-made, tailored to my measurements, and adorable. Sorry the site wasn't up to your standards, I was only trying to be helpful. *shrug*

ETA: Oh, and it arrived at my house, from India, in less than a week.
  • 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Fat women who are pear or hourglass are SUPER-CURVY.

I'm certainly not roly-poly - I have amazing curves. My waist is 22 inches smaller than my hips and 18 smaller than my bust.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I'm curvy at any weight. I've been all over the place in terms of my weight--including underweight and morbidly obese. At every weight I still had the same proportions, just different measurements.
  • mixedlollies
    mixedlollies Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I don't like the implication that fat women are not "real" women. What are they, then? Imaginary women? Sub-women? Men? All women are real women, regardless of size.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    f09510a4-2801-47bc-a160-6557c8de0507_zps9f7fdc4a.jpg

Am I curvy or fat, OP?

I'm a size 18.

Also, ignore the dirty mirror.

Don't bash because you're insecure with yourself.

you are so freaking hot!!!!

You are NOT a size 18, you're hot sex! Whatever! :P

Are you calling her a liar then? Sorry, but there *are* curvy women in a size 18. It has to do with hip-to-waist ratio. :wink:

No, I was just saying she's gorgeous and size doesn't matter.

As in, I'm a size ten, but that's in america, and I would much prefer to be called a "Sex goddess" than a size.

I find it best when people say what they mean. If she says she's an 18, then she's an 18. I'm pretty confident that she knows what size she wears. Yes, jean size doesn't really matter. It would have been better to have said that instead. :flowerforyou:
  • hannahmellis
    Options
    If you have a defined waist, you're curvy. Plus sized or not. I'm a size 11-13, not quite plus... and I'm curvy. My mother and I have the same body type exactly, yet she is a bit larger than me, her curves are still noticeable.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    deal with it...

close thread/
  • curvynblonde
    curvynblonde Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I'm obese according to bmi, a size 18 so yes I am plus size, and I am most definitely curvy. I am very well proportioned. So ill call myself curvy whenever and however I feel like it.
This discussion has been closed.