Eating "junk" and losing weight?

Options

Replies

• KevDaniel
    KevDaniel Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I see so many people going on about not getting nutrients - do they not sell multivitamins everywhere?

That is not how it works.

That's not how *what* works? You seem to be implying that vitamins don't contain nutrients.

The idea is that a multivitamin can't reproduce all the beneficial nutrients contained within a diet rich in fruits and vegetables.

But that doesn't mean people shouldn't take them. I take one when I remember. I often forget though. I think most MDs would reccomend a multi-vitamin.

This falls under "better safe than sorry" imo.

Here is what I meant read myth #1

http://www.rd.com/health/wellness/5-vitamin-truths-and-lies/
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    My rule is to eat as healthy as I can at least 80% of the week. I give myself more leway on weekends usually. I never really go too far off track - maybe a big pizza day like I had yesterday or such. But I also keep up the exercise. Fact is though, if you burn more calories that you take in - crap calories or not - then you will lose weight. Doesn't help in overall health.

Meh.
  • KevDaniel
    Options
    Does anyone have any actual scientific evidence that eating "junk" food, in the context of an active lifestyle with healthy body composition, is actually worse in any measurable way than eating "healthy" food?

The answer to this question will never come...

Seriously? Yes, there are hundreds upon thousands of studies on this.

ou will have to narrow the field rather than say "junk food" let's take one of the biggest offenders "Partially Hydrogenated Oils" (trans fat) named because they add hydrogen back into the oil which is a pretty way of saying it turns unsaturated fatty acids into saturated ones. Basically it makes foods last for ever on shelves, because that is what food is supposed to do right? Be loaded with chemicals to last forever?

Don't take my word for it National Academy of Sciences' Institute of Medicine said that trans fats shouldn't be consumed at all. The Food and Drug Administration says that intake should be as low as possible. (source http://www.sixwise.com/newsletters/06/02/08/what-exactly-does-it-mean-when-foods-are-hydrogenated-and-what-risks-can-it-pose.htm) Need more reason not to consume very much? Trans fats raise your bad (LDL) cholesterol levels and lower your good (HDL) cholesterol levels. Eating trans fats increases your risk of developing heart disease and stroke. It’s also associated with a higher risk of developing type 2 diabetes.

There is one "junk food" which other would you like to know about?
  • mum212
    mum212 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    There is weightloss and there is fit and healthy. You can eat 'junk' food and lose weight. But you can't follow that path if your goal is to get fit and improve your health. Your journey is yours...decide what your goals are and go for it.

for me i eat what i want when i feel like it and sometimes i go over my calories on that extra piece of fried chicken, so what........... ill just burn it off tomorrow and ill stay under my daily calorie goal

yeah really need to work o this quote thing
  • andyisandy
    andyisandy Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I just had ice cream and hot chocolate for breakfast. It's not the first time I've done this and certainly won't be the last.

Losing weight is all about the number of calories you eat, it doesn't matter if those calories are from healthy foods or from "junk" foods. As long as you stay under your calorie goal, you'll lose weight.

Most people don't JUST want to lose weight though. You probably also want a nice toned look. For body composition, you need to make sure you're getting enough protein as well.

Stay under your calorie goal, "eat back exercise calories," and try your best to hit you fat and protein numbers.
    i agree and is there any Ice cream left to share?
  • KevDaniel
    Options
    My rule is to eat as healthy as I can at least 80% of the week. I give myself more leway on weekends usually. I never really go too far off track - maybe a big pizza day like I had yesterday or such. But I also keep up the exercise. Fact is though, if you burn more calories that you take in - crap calories or not - then you will lose weight. Doesn't help in overall health.

Meh.

I think this is good advice, sure everyone eats things they shouldn't from time to time.. If your only concern is weight loss than you can probably pull it off.

I am no different, I have Splenda from time to time which i know is a chemical s*** storm, but I am not going to say "hey there is nothing wrong with it" that would not be a good strategy.
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Have the foods you've been eaten been 'proven' to be safe?

I suspect no more than the 'junk foods' you're thinking about.

Plenty of nasty stuff in nature too, though it's certainly easier to find it stuff that has been more heavily processed by humans.

The sorts of foods I eat are constantly being scientifically demonstrated to improve your health. Yes. There is just a constant stream of such studies.

There is simply no recorded correlation between my diet and huge markers of ill health like coronary disease. We don't see whole societies of people getting fatter and sicker as they eat more whole, unprocessed foods.

The correlation with junk food and ill health exists. It doesn't mean there is causation neither does it mean there isn't.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I eat well 80% of the time, 20% treat. Tonight is a magnum ice cream, but it fits in with my macros perfectly so its all good! Find that method works for me. I just make sure i pre plan to make sure it all fits! X
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I'm not willing to cut out anything that I won't cut out for the rest of my life. It's not sustainable. I eat my fair share of fruit & veg and other healthy foods, but I eat junk too.

Ditto.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any actual scientific evidence that eating "junk" food, in the context of an active lifestyle with healthy body composition, is actually worse in any measurable way than eating "healthy" food?

ou will have to narrow the field rather than say "junk food" let's take one of the biggest offenders "Partially Hydrogenated Oils" (trans fat) named because they add hydrogen back into the oil which is a pretty way of saying it turns unsaturated fatty acids into saturated ones. Basically it makes foods last for ever on shelves, because that is what food is supposed to do right? Be loaded with chemicals to last forever?

Don't take my word for it National Academy of Sciences' Institute of Medicine said that trans fats shouldn't be consumed at all. The Food and Drug Administration says that intake should be as low as possible. (source http://www.sixwise.com/newsletters/06/02/08/what-exactly-does-it-mean-when-foods-are-hydrogenated-and-what-risks-can-it-pose.htm) Need more reason not to consume very much? Trans fats raise your bad (LDL) cholesterol levels and lower your good (HDL) cholesterol levels. Eating trans fats increases your risk of developing heart disease and stroke. It’s also associated with a higher risk of developing type 2 diabetes.

Trans fat is trans fat no matter what food it's in.

Trans fat is a macronutrient.

Macronutrient control is the issue.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    You can certainly lose weight eating junk if you stay under your calorie budget, but you will feel like crap and never really satisfied IMO
  • KevDaniel
    Options

uhhhh nooo Fat is a macro, and no one said fat was bad for you.

Sorry this thread is becoming frustrating, after all my nutrition schooling, fitness certifications, and degrees it pains me to see some of this mis information being tossed around as fact.
  • jonnythan
    Options

..... Yes. Trans fat is a macronutrient.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    You can certainly lose weight eating junk if you stay under your calorie budget, but you will feel like crap and never really satisfied IMO
    Then it's subjective because there are many that can fit junk in and feel fine. Heck even Olympic swimmers eat junk food because of the calorie density and eating "clean" food every hour on the hour to fulfill that caloric need would never allow them to train for hours or would hamper their training.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • KevDaniel
    Options

While trans fat "technically" has fat in it.. Most are man made and not a beneficial fat, nor is it a good way to get fat in your diet. So no, no one in their right mind will say be sure to get your TRANS FAT macro nutrient.
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options

Am I the only one cringing?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Have to agree here. Like saturated fat, it's need to be limited so it doesn't impact health.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Here, here's what Taco Bell and Subway and McDonald's and Lean Cuisine and Jimmy Dean Breakfast Sandwiches do to your body:

progress.png

During that time, total cholesterol went from 240 to 204; HDL went from 40 to 59, and triglycerides from 92 to 72. My blood pressure was borderline high then, and now it's normally around 115/65.

So if all that sounds terrible to you, then by all means deny yourself foods you like because someone on the internet said they were "unhealthy."

Very niiice!

I eat what I want. Of course as I am finding myself further into that journey the things I 'want' are slowly getting healthier. I can no longer eat too many sweets because they make me rather ill physically. It's not something I 'planned' I just find that I'm drifting away from certain things and more towards others. Does not stop me from eating 'crap' occasionally but it is a lot less often than it used to be.
  • jonnythan
    Options

While trans fat "technically" has fat in it.. Most are man made and not a beneficial fat, nor is it a good way to get fat in your diet. So no, no one in their right mind will say be sure to get your TRANS FAT macro nutrient.

A molecule that contains calories is, by definition, a macronutrient. Trans fat is a type of fat. Glucose is a type of carbohydrate. Glucose and trans fats are macronutrients.

Fat is a category of macronutrient hat includes saturated fat, polyunsaturated fat, trans fat, etc. Look at this nice big list of macronutrients which includes all of the ones mentioned above:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_macronutrients
  • KevDaniel
    Options

A molecule that contains calories is, by definition, a macronutrient. Trans fat is a type of fat. Glucose is a type of carbohydrate. Glucose and trans fats are macronutrients.

Fat is a category of macronutrient hat includes saturated fat, polyunsaturated fat, trans fat, etc. Look at this nice big list of macronutrients which includes all of the ones mentioned above:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_macronutrients

Yeah I don't need to read Wikipedia I already said it falls under the FAT umbrella, that is not really the point.. Point is there far superior fat macros to choose from, you do NOT need trans fat in your diet.. I am honestly quite shocked that people are saying you NEED it .. Especially someone who post there whole resume in their signature should know better.

I can drink a cup of high fructose corn syrup and say I got my carbs for the day, but it is ignorance to say that is the best option to meet that macro need in your diet, But hell do whatever you want.