Eating "junk" and losing weight?

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Yeah I don't need to read Wikipedia I already said it falls under the FAT umbrella, that is not really the point.. Point is there far superior fat macros to choose from, you do NOT need trans fat in your diet.. I am honestly quite shocked that people are saying you NEED it .. Especially someone who post there whole resume in their signature should know better.

I can drink a cup of high fructose corn syrup and say I got my carbs for the day, but it is ignorance to say that is the best option to meet that macro need in your diet, But hell do whatever you want.

Right. You're arguing against a nutrient. That's my entire point all thread long.

Look at the nutrients in the food, not whether it's "healthy" or "processed" or "fast."

Nutrients are what matter. Nutrients. Pay attention to the actual nutrients.

Am I clear yet? Nutrients. :)
  • KevDaniel
    KevDaniel Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Yeah I don't need to read Wikipedia I already said it falls under the FAT umbrella, that is not really the point.. Point is there far superior fat macros to choose from, you do NOT need trans fat in your diet.. I am honestly quite shocked that people are saying you NEED it .. Especially someone who post there whole resume in their signature should know better.

I can drink a cup of high fructose corn syrup and say I got my carbs for the day, but it is ignorance to say that is the best option to meet that macro need in your diet, But hell do whatever you want.

Right. You're arguing against a nutrient. That's my entire point all thread long.

Look at the nutrients in the food, not whether it's "healthy" or "processed" or "fast."

Nutrients are what matter. Nutrients. Pay attention to the actual nutrients.

Am I clear yet? Nutrients. :)

But it is not that simple, it does matter where those nutrients are stemming from. So you do need to pay attention to more than the nutrient being supplied.

Am I clear yet? Nutrient Source :)
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    ..... Yes. Trans fat is a macronutrient.
    Have to agree here. Like saturated fat, it's need to be limited so it doesn't impact health.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

According to the National Academy of Sciences' Institute of Medicine, there is no safe level of trans fat. None. You should not ingest that substance at all. They didn't say eat it in moderation. They said to avoid it.

Yes. It is a macronutrient. There is nothing relevant to this discussion in that fact.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Have to agree here. Like saturated fat, it's need to be limited so it doesn't impact health.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

According to the National Academy of Sciences' Institute of Medicine, there is no safe level of trans fat. None. You should not ingest that substance at all. They didn't say eat it in moderation. They said to avoid it.

Yes. It is a macronutrient. There is nothing relevant to this discussion in that fact.

Then why were you cringing when I said it's a macronutrient?

You want to get appropriate levels of all nutrients, both micro and macro. For some nutrients that level is 0. For some nutrients that level might be 150 grams.

My contention is that it doesn't matter where your nutrients are coming from as long as you're getting appropriate amounts of them.
  • Lovemydounts
    Lovemydounts Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Eating junk food don't help you lose weight I tryed working out and eating crap and it dose not work well together.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Very niiice!

I eat what I want. Of course as I am finding myself further into that journey the things I 'want' are slowly getting healthier. I can no longer eat too many sweets because they make me rather ill physically. It's not something I 'planned' I just find that I'm drifting away from certain things and more towards others. Does not stop me from eating 'crap' occasionally but it is a lot less often than it used to be.

I prefer progress over perfection also. Striving for perfection makes people bicker way too much. :wink:
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    You can certainly lose weight eating junk if you stay under your calorie budget, but you will feel like crap and never really satisfied IMO
    Then it's subjective because there are many that can fit junk in and feel fine. Heck even Olympic swimmers eat junk food because of the calorie density and eating "clean" food every hour on the hour to fulfill that caloric need would never allow them to train for hours or would hamper their training.

IDEA Fitness member

Thank you! I don't eat "clean" or even close to it. I still eat processed foods daily. I do manage to eat lots of veggies but am really repetitive because the ones I like, I like a lot and I'm kind of fussy. I never eat whole grains (I just don't like them). I am not "sick" after 15 months of eating like that and I certainly don't feel like crap. The human body has this amazing capability of getting what it needs from what you eat. The vast majority of people who don't follow eating "clean" still get enough variety of foods to get everything they need. Even us processed food junkies don't eat the same thing every single day.

After a full year of eating this way I had a complete blood vitamin panel done because I was experiencing dizzy spells (OMG maybe all the clean eaters were right!). All came back perfect. Turns out, weight loss lowers blood pressure, even when it's not high! Cardiologist says it will sort itself out once I finish losing and start maintaining and that I need to make sure I'm getting enough sodium (not supposed to cut sodium at all so I can still eat all my tasty processed treats).

People need to do what works for them. I admire the "clean" eaters commitment to food preparation and planning. I just don't have that kind of passion towards food. If I'm hungry, I just want to grab whatever I'm in the mood for and log it. As long as I'm keeping to my calorie allotment, my blood tests and physical checkups are good... I just don't want to spend that much thought and energy on it.
  • nokanjaijo
    Options

You want to get appropriate levels of all nutrients, both micro and macro. For some nutrients that level is 0. For some nutrients that level might be 150 grams.

My contention is that it doesn't matter where your nutrients are coming from as long as you're getting appropriate amounts of them.

Because you have done nothing to support the contention that being classed as a macronutrient means something is safe to eat. He has supported his argument.

You just repeat your contention. You don't support it. You didn't even address his sources. Just, "...it is a macronutrient."

That is why I am cringing.
  • KevDaniel
    KevDaniel Posts: 449 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Because it does matter where they are coming from, don't take my word for it my ACSM Ftiness certification book says on page 27 to avoid it. For the reasons mentioned above with links. I'm sorry but if your not willing to concede that the ACSM knows more about the subject then I don't know.
  • Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    Options
    I see SO many people on here who have their diaries open and eat more than half of their calories from what's considered "junk" food. What's the deal with this?! I realize I'm the one with 150 pounds left to lose, but wouldn't these people be losing more if they would eat fruits and vegetables at every meal? I'm striving for 75% fresh food. Is that maybe unrealistic? And there are people losing .5 pounds per week but eating candy, chips, etc. Would it not make a difference if they'd eat real food instead? Maybe I'm just confused!

It's all about a caloric deficit. Calories in vs Calories out. Just self control and hitting your macros. But you are right they could be losing more and they could be more healthy. And then again not everyone is the same.
  • jen81uk
    jen81uk Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    They might eat junk and lose but they would lose more weight if they ate foods that were easier for the body to break down. A healther lifestyle would cut out junk... I eat my share but try to do it occassionally and cook as many of my meals as possible! I always aim for my five a day but because it makes me feel better, I have more evergy and my my skin feels better. Eating Mcdonalds, crisps, pizza everyday would not help me lose weight even if in my calories. I prefer to eat healthy and feel good rather than stick strictly to my calories and eat crap.

xx
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Because you have done nothing to support the contention that being classed as a macronutrient means something is safe to eat.

What? I never said it's safe to eat. Not sure how you made that leap.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Because it does matter where they are coming from, don't take my word for it my ACSM Ftiness certification book says on page 27 to avoid it. For the reasons mentioned above with links. I'm sorry but if your not willing to concede that the ACSM knows more about the subject then I don't know.

Trans fat? I say to avoid trans fat too.

I have no idea how we got on this.

Trans fat is a macronutrient. That doesn't mean you need or want it.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I totally understand eating things you love! I love potato chips, so I've been allowing myself one serving of pop chips every night. I'm talking about logging only 5 items, three of which were made at a restaurant. I want to be healthy once I lose the weight. Can I accomplish that by eating fast food as long as I stay under my calories? That's just the vibe I get from so many people. I'm not trying to judge of call anyone out, just seeing how everyone else is losing the weight :wink:

Those are your goals, doesn't mean those are everyone else's goals. If they're losing weight and doing something they can stick to it shouldn't matter to you what they're eating.

It's much more about how much you're eating vs. what you're eating.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,555 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I'd like to see all the National Academy of Science Institute of Medicine professors diets then.:laugh: I doubt that there isn't anyone in there that's NEVER had a pastry, cake, etc.
    I'm not saying that it's SAFE.

IDEA Fitness member
  • nokanjaijo
    Options

Okay. I don't care to quibble. We can go from here.

Most junk foods tend to be loaded with trans fats. So, you will likely be healthier if you avoid junk food than if you eat a diet rich in junk food.

And that is only if we limit the discussion to that particular ingredient.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Okay. I don't care to quibble. We can go from here.

Most junk foods tend to be loaded with trans fats. So, you will likely be healthier if you avoid junk food than if you eat a diet rich in junk food.

And that is only if we limit the discussion to that particular ingredient.

Seeing trans fat in any kind of food is getting more and more rare. Most fast food establishments have completely ditched trans fats, and it has disappeared from the vast majority of frozen foods.

This only underscores that it's nutrients and not food "type" that matters.
  • nokanjaijo
    Options
    I'd like to see all the National Academy of Science Institute of Medicine professors diets then.:laugh: I doubt that there isn't anyone in there that's NEVER had a pastry, cake, etc.

IDEA Fitness member

You can make pastry or cake without trans fat. Trust me. I bake.
  • AllisonPlease
    AllisonPlease Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm not willing to cut out anything that I won't cut out for the rest of my life. It's not sustainable. I eat my fair share of fruit & veg and other healthy foods, but I eat junk too.

I pretty much stand by this statement!! I have severely limited the amount of junk food that I intake and have had a huge up in fruits and veggies HOWEVER I'd be a fool to deny pretend as though I'm never going to have sweets or want to indulge now and then and I refuse to be judged for it. Remember, these are not diets that we are on, these are lifestyle changes that we are going through, What's good for the goose isn't always good for the gander, focus more on what works for you instead of what others are doing, especially if its working for them and they aren't seeking your opinion.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,555 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

You can make pastry or cake without trans fat. Trust me. I bake.
    Oh, I know it's possible. But if you know how professors are at Universities, baking their own pastries probably isn't high on their lists.:laugh:
    Just saying that their are lots of people who will advise something, but won't follow their own advice. Kinda like the parent that tells their kid not to break any rules, but stops in a red zone to drop their kid off at school.

IDEA Fitness member