Things people do on the treadmill that bug you..

Options

Replies

• funhouse77
    funhouse77 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    To be honest, all I am interested in when I'm working out is me. I don't know what anyone else is doing, I have my headphones in and have blocked out the rest of the world. I couldn't care less if the guy next to me is cartwheeling on the treadmill, as long as it's not affecting my workout, he pays his gym membership too and has the right to workout as he see fit, just like I do.

The only thing that annoys me at the gym is people who go there to chat. They sit on machines and chat, not working out at all. That bugs me if I want on particular machine they are sitting on when the gym is busy. Chat in the Coffee Shop downstairs!!!
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    1. When the person next to me continuously glances over at my speed, distance, time, etc.
    2. When someone gets on the treadmill that's right next to me even though there are plenty of other treadmills to choose from.
    3. When someone runs funny. It distracts me. lol

^^^ saw a girl a few days ago out running with her dog and she really had me chuckling at how she ran. Legs all over the place, arms moving around. I thought is she joking?????
    god she must be joking!!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I hate it when all the treadmills are taken up and you see people literally doing the whole workout walking slower than if they were out side having a stroll on the beach! Drives me insane!

Funny...that's pretty much my 20 min cool down after a good lifting session. Suck it up Nancy, I paid for my membership too and you have zero clue as to what someone's individual fitness goals are. A nice slow walk is awesome after a brutal lifting session...I don't have much left in the tank to do a whole lot more anyway, but cool down is an important part of the workout.

How 'bout if everyone just minds their own fitness goals...'cuz you don't have a clue what others are really doing.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Those who stay on for hours and hours talking on phone or moving at slow pace accomplishing little to nothing

^ this exactly. It's like seriously? why bother. I mean i know.... they are still at least doing something but have some common sense and ettiquette why dont ya! They justkeep clucking away on their phones like hens dont they? gab gab gab!
    Meanwhile i'm annoyed by their clucking while i'm trying to focus on myself and my own jogging/pace/running, etc.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    When two people are standing on the treadmill chit chatting back and forth and im waiting to use one. (treadnill not in use). Or someone puts their towel on the treadmill goes to change the TV channel and spends about 15 min on that then jump on the treadmill for maybe 10 minutes and then I overhear him teilling someone he just done some HIT.
  • smiller212003
    smiller212003 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I dont really care too much what people do on other machines... but i did watch a girl consume a bowl of cottage cheese while on her treadmill the other day...
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    The only thing anyone ever did next to me that annoyed me was on a bike, not the treadmill. The woman had the worst case of the sniffles ever. SNORK. Every thirty seconds or so. SNORK. Just frickin' blow your nose already!

No, wait... there was one more thing. At my gym, there were only two treadmills that got decent airflow from the ceiling fans. Running on any other machine, I'd become a sweaty, sweltering mess. But the two treadmills with air current always seemed to be occupied by people only walking, and bundled up in sweatpants and sweatshirt with the hood pulled tight like Kenny from South Park.
  • kpnive
    kpnive Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    i don't care what other people are doing, but the only thing that makes me uneasy is the lady having the multiple orgasms on the stair climber thingy.........Even WITH headphones on her moans overpower my music and i look up and you can see everyone in the room instantly feel uneasy...
  • prettymorbidity
    prettymorbidity Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    well after reading all that...i am so thankful i go to a 24 hour gym where there are usually no other ppl in there. all you people talking about other people on machines is EXACTLY why i have anxiety and i won't go to a rec or fitness center. i feel like people are starring at me. now i know they are, and making fun! the only thing that should BUG you about people on a treadmill is that they dont sanitize it after they are finished....who cares how they run, what they hold on to , or how heavy they breath or run? or if they eat chips while they do it? TO EACH THEIR OWN.........some of you clearly need to focus more on yourselves.....
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Tell me! What things bug you when they are happening on the treadmill next to you?

One thing to start: When I'm running my miles, the rest of the treadmill people hold their handlebars as if they are in a supermarkt, pushing their cart!

So sorry the childhood damage to my ear canal that has caused me lifelong balance issues are so terribly disruptive to your workout. If I had known my attempts at getting fit despite this minor disability would be such a nuisance to other gym members I'd have just stayed at home on the couch.

How about everyone just keep their eyes on their own papers?
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    People who drown themselves in perfume or reek of cigarettes and get on right next to me and trigger my asthma. :sick:

You gots to be styling if you're gonna pick up the ladies at the gym. Perfume and cigarettes is a smell that attracts all kinds of women.... all kindzzzzzz

tumblr_mewkihV9N31rrx588o1_500.gif
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Complain they hate running. Have you tried running outside yet? Well have you? If you have and/or can't and still hate running, so something else, it isn't compulsory!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    People who drown themselves in perfume or reek of cigarettes and get on right next to me and trigger my asthma. :sick:

You gots to be styling if you're gonna pick up the ladies at the gym. Perfume and cigarettes is a smell that attracts all kinds of women.... all kindzzzzzz

tumblr_mewkihV9N31rrx588o1_500.gif

You've got to practice the swagger somewhere . . . .
  • freshstart14
    freshstart14 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Slow walkers used to bother me when I was waiting for a treadmill, until my mother was recovering from a foot surgery and was only allowed to walk at 2.0 after getting off weeks of crutches. Everyone has a story.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Do your treadmills have heart rate sensors on the handlebars? Most do. The people grabbing the handlebars might be trying to get a read on their heart rate.

This is very true.

But sometimes If I am going faster than I am used to I hang on to the bars, I've heard the more you lean on the bars the lower the calorie burn.. I try not to use support from that. Maintaining a good posture is best...

As far as what annoys me ; nothing does. I am not that paranoid. I pay attention to my music and my workout, not theirs.
  • Kamalka
    Kamalka Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I can't run on those stuff, the entire gym moves like there is an earthquake...I tried several times when I was alone, but I as soon as I move from walk to run speed, I transform into elephantman. I run smooth in the woods though, and I concentrate not to have vertical movements to spend all my energy going forwards, so it should be fine. Just not for me :(
    I love running outside anyway
  • JaimieAG
    JaimieAG Posts: 48
    Options
    I hate when people change the tv channel mid-show to something that's already on just a few (empty) treadmills down.... Go over there if that's what you want to watch. I was watching good morning america. Yeah might be a lame news segment on mustard or something. But that's what was on and I got into it. Then you changed it. And I can't say anything to you because you have your headphones on.

Hate that.
  • rottyman
    rottyman Posts: 9
    Options
    Cell phones, cell phones, cell phones. If you can have a conversation on the phone, you can work harder.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    The only thing that bugs me is when I know if they keep running the way they do they are going to hurt themselves - particularly their knees. Thisi s mostly when the run 'loudly' and stomp their feet. It's more of a concern then something that 'bugs' me per say.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Man alive, you people should spend more time working on YOUR workouts then worrying about what other people are doing...