Real women drink beer.

Options

Replies

• downinaggieland98
    downinaggieland98 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    really i thought butch manly women drunk beer.....
    real women stick to water deary....

Oh girl, you need a drink, stat!

LOL. Totally agree.
  • pepperdove
    pepperdove Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I love beer, and it is definitely a weakness for me! I used to be a wine girl, but lately I have switched to good microbrews almost exclusively. I prefer a nut brown ale, local when it's available. Mmmm.
  • pepperdove
    pepperdove Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I only drink on days I exercise..........
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I'd marry all of you ladies who enjoy their good beer if I were not married! :love: :drinker: My wife can't stand the beer I drink!

BTW, someone commented about a stout beer having 500 calories- that is way off. More like 150, which is less than most IPA's. It's more about the alcohol content than the color of the beer. My poison of choice, Dogfish 60 Minute IPA, is 210 calories per 12oz.

A Dogfish 120 Minute IPA has 450 calories but it's also up to 25% alcohol. So there are brews out there that are super caloric, but they are also the really expensive high alcohol kind that you aren't swilling down at a BBQ.

^^Thank you!! I am a porter/stout drinker....the comment about 500 calories nearly made me scream. You are right, they usually contain around 150 calories!
  • downinaggieland98
    downinaggieland98 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    no they don't, it is not ladylike.

I disagree. It all depends on the lady drinking them. I go out all dolled up, dress, high heels, nice make up and hair and love to drink beer straight from the bottle. Men seem to love it too. Doesnt make me less of a lady inside or out.

Please don't get offended but i completely disagree. doing that would make any lady look less lady-ish, i am sure you are one though

You know what makes any lady less lady-ish? Judging another woman by what she is drinking. That's just ridiculous.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    So a woman who starves herself on 1200 calories is left 1000 for food? Or woman who doesn't with say 1300-1400 for food? A pint of English larger is normally between 190 and 250 calories. Its crazy to spend that man calories on such an unimportant part of your diet.

It troubles me so many people here want to make change to their weight and health but then refuse to shake that what got them to where they are at?
  • Just2Bhappy
    Just2Bhappy Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm more of a hard cider or long island girl.
  • Just2Bhappy
    Just2Bhappy Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Exercise more, drink beer on those days.

No exercise? Don't drink that day.

Works for me.

This! If I know i'm going out drinking I work out extra to make room for those calories.
  • DaWayne360
    DaWayne360 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Thanks, that is definitely helpful. I tried ignoring the beer aisle at the grocery store the last few days but today I couldn't help myself. I just started my weight loss journey and finally saw the scale move a few pounds in my favor. After a few beers I started to feel guilty as if I was putting all my hard work to shame. Still trying to find a balance in this whole thing. :)

How much beer a week are we talking? A couple a night? There is your weight problem and you need to make some major adjustments. If it’s a 6 pack over the weekend then some self control over the next few months should do it. Limit it to 4 over the weekend and count the calories. After you reach your goal weight, knock yourself out as long as you are exercising enough to counter the calories. I love IPA's, but they tend to be upwards of 200 calories per 12 oz. I ran 5 miles last week so I could justify having a couple.
  • Kany
    Kany Posts: 336
    Options
    I love me some dark brews but I have to give it up if I want to lose weight. A pot belly at 30 is not very attractive on my frame.
  • conidiring
    conidiring Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I don't drink beer (or any alcohol for that matter), does that mean I'm not a "real" woman, whatever the heck that means...
  • ksmineo
    ksmineo Posts: 2
    Options
    Another option, that I have found works for me, is I enjoy my alcohol/ treat/ fill in the blank - after I have eaten dinner, after my son has gone to bed - it's more of a 'me' time - hubby's at work, 6 year old in bed, it's my reward to myself. I find I drink less if I start later vs. having one right when I walk in the door. Let's face it - life is stressful, I have found that if I drink a beer or glass of wine when I walk in the door, it seems to just go down too fast / disappear.....like I didn't even enjoy it/ savor it....so later is better for me.

And all the others on this page that have said to plan for it: either by compensating in your diet or doing just a little more exercise, are great ideas - that I will implement that in my 'plan' as well.

Good luck on your journey!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I'm a Guinness girl. I rarely drink, so I'm not gonna beat myself up over the 210 calories I get in a pint. Plus, I hear it has a lot of vitamins, so it's healthy! :drinker:
  • KML617
    KML617 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    This is a tough one!! I'm totally a beer girl myself... I don't go for the really dark stuff, but I love a good hef, or pale ale. I know others have already said this, but I try to limit myself to only like 1 night a week (usually Friday), and I plan ahead... put it in my diary early and plan around it.

I haven't done it yet, but I want to spend some good time at the liquor store checking out labels to find a go to lower calorie beer. At this point, I drink Amstel light for my go to evening beer... not my favorite, but it's under 100 calories. And BJ's brewhous has a pretty good low cal wheat beer on tap called LightSwitch.

Good Luck! If you find something good thats lower in calories let me know for sure!! :drinker:
  • TheViperMan
    TheViperMan Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    no they don't, it is not ladylike.

I disagree. It all depends on the lady drinking them. I go out all dolled up, dress, high heels, nice make up and hair and love to drink beer straight from the bottle. Men seem to love it too. Doesnt make me less of a lady inside or out.

Please don't get offended but i completely disagree. doing that would make any lady look less lady-ish, i am sure you are one though

I don't drink from the bottle, mainly coz I don't drink bottled beer when I go out just from the pump unless it's Leffe which is rare on the pump in the UK.

I like American beers - Brooklyn etc not really a bud person.

Who cares about being lady like, I don't. I don't get dressed up with make-up on or anything.

some of us care

Sorry, but what you're defining is a "Priss", not a lady. Frankly us men sit with our women, drinking beer, and making fun of the prisses (both men AND women) sipping their girlie drinks and wine spritzers...

OP - friend request sent. I'm a sucker for a good chocolate stout - working on a few recipes of my own right now!

I'll have to read up on the rest of this thread when time permits...
  • getjicky
    getjicky Posts: 5
    Options
    There is a Spanish beer - Estrella Damm Daura that is gluten-free. Difficult for me to get down here, but it's awesome.
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Sam Adams light is actually pretty good, but it's not my beer of choice. I like regular Sam's or Sam's Cherry Wheat. It's to die for. :drinker:
  • kimmynw1
    kimmynw1 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am fairly new to mfp and I am committed to losing. One thing over the years that I have learned is if you go all or nothing you end up with nothing. I too am a microbrew fan (PNW resident as well) and I plan on continueing to enjoy them but maybe once a week or twice a month. Face it when you drink a few micro brews you are not hungry anyways so I will trade a meal or two and enjoy!!!
  • TheViperMan
    TheViperMan Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Okay I'm back - 7 pages reviewed. Fascinating the range of replies, from the usual "everything in moderation" to the out-and-out lies and misconceptions.

I DO think it's a good idea to track the calories of an actual beer - for example I PM'd the OP and pointed out that a 2012 Black Chocolate Stout by Brooklyn Brewery - an absolutely amazing Imperial / Double Stout - is a whopping 320 calories according to MFP - that's TWO cans of Mountain Dew!!

A good rule of thumb is the alcohol content - the more alcohol in a beer, the more sugar that went in to the fermenter. Most of your light beers are in the 3-4% range. 5-7% are mild or medium beers (pretty much any style could sit here), while 8-10%+ puts you into imperials or dopplebocks, and many fruit beers. I have a 12.8% dopplebock (homebrew) fermenting in my basement.

If you know how many calories the beer is you're drinking you can plan for it pretty well. Frankly I suggest the strategy a few others have pointed out. If you're going to drink, then DRINK. Get it out of (or in this case, THROUGH) your system, let your metabolism take it's hit, and sleep it off the next day! (lol) The rest of the time stick to lighter beers (which might be difficult for a stout/porter fan such as a the OP and myself). I find that I lose very little weight overnight if I have a beer or two before bed - it does indeed slow your metabolism. I literally plan my stouts for one or two days a week, and use my other days to experiment with IPA's or Ciders (which are surprisingly "light.")

And I'm not going to bother quoting the moron who accused the OP and having an alcohol addiction and needing help. People like you frankly need to keep your mouth shut. There is a HUGE difference between being a "drinker" and being a "connoisseur" of fine beers. I've consumed 40 beers in the last month, but went the past two days without any, and will do the same tonight!