Things people do on the treadmill that bug you..

Options

Replies

• randimarie1125
    randimarie1125 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    sommee.png

Haha exactly!!
    Well I have gone to te gym after work and ad makeup on.

makeup is understandable, i wouldnt expect someone to take it off, but the jewelry and all jazzed up, and just leisurely walking, is very annoying, especially when they are just taking up space.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    You know... normally what others do doesn't bother me unless it interferes with my workout.

I HATE that MF that sprays cleaning solution on me.. goddamnit spray the rag before you spray me!

It's also kinda funny seeing people do the shopping cart but most likely they are just new at it or trying to find their heart rate in lieu of a HRM.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    I did not join a gym because I have four kids and didn't want to pay the childcare... But after this thread I am so glad I made my husband buy me a treadmill and weights... I never realized that people were really this judgemental at the gym!!! I hang on to my handlebars all the time.. if it helps me do 60 min of cardio rather than 30 hell yea Im gonna hold on!?
    I sweat, I listen to loud music, I love checking out what other people are doing when I went to the gym. I will help keep you in check PLEASE stare at me I will run faster and harder and give you a show you aint never seen ;)

I am happy with my yoga sessions in my livingroom and my nights spent in front of MY shows on MY treadmill with MY own germs on it.

Wow people. You honestly are defeating out the whole reason for MFP this is supposed to be support and movitavion and help on a fitness journey FOR ALL.

Petty Petty peeps on here.
    I will continue on my path of being a hermit
    Thank you for not making me feel like I was missing out on locker rooms, lunk alarms, and zumba

It's not really people being judgmental IMO, if you are holding onto the treadmill and doing 60 minutes of cardio, you've wasted a good 90% of that time. If you do 30 minutes without holding on, you are doing your body more good. It's a fact, just google it.

I love my home workouts and the gym.. it gives me ME time away from my family. I bring my own towels and always clean the machines before and after use.. I have even seen people use towels to cover the machines (cause somehow they think that will prevent catching/spreading germs). I don't really see what anyone here is doing wrong... I would be thankful at a gym if I was holding onto the treadmill, wasting my time and someone waited til I was done and let me know that it wasn't effective. Most people won't do that though so that's why we come online and discuss it. If you are offended, that's kinda sad.

Don't be a martyr, take time for yourself away from hubby and kids. Go to a gym and meet other people. Just a piece of advice Mom to Mom..
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I hold the "handlebars" I have 3 herniated discs and balance is off. Dont be so jugmental. I hate when runners stomp like an elephant stampede and breathe like they are having hard sex, but I deal with it.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    The muscle head sitting on the bike and cycling like he is sitting in front of the TV. Hands locked behind his head and pedaling at 3mph.
    Or how bout the skinny chick walking on the treadmill at 15% incline and holding the top rail in front of them. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of using an incline?

Yes, I know it was probably a warm up or cool down, but for some reason, that day, it really bothered me.

Judgemental much??? Everyone thinkgs they are going to go to a gym and get stared down by "muscle heads" or "skinny girls" but really it's the bitter, out of shape, unconfident but heads who feel the need to minimize everyone elses efforts. Who cares who does what and how they do it!? Everyone is there for the same reason to get or to stay healthy. No judgement or critisizm needed.

Agreed! Im always hearing newbies complain about people being rude or insulting at the gym but as someone who been consistently going to gyms for 13 years I have never encountered any such thing from regular gym go-ers.

Honestly, I don't know if I've ever annoyed someone with my slow, post lift cycling or treadmill walking...I just don't pay that much attention. I just know that I have my routine and my routine is not over just because someone doesn't like my slow treadmill walking.

It's so silly when people at the gym get mad cause you are walking for the two minutes they are in the room.. I always warm up with a 5 minute walk before doing my HIIT routine
  • krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I DO look at other people's screen because I am interested to see at what speed people run at. I am only able to run for about 30 seconds at a time right now, on 4.1 I am fascinated by people who can run faster and I just like to see at what point they start running, maybe so I have an idea of what to work up to. I don't STARE, but maybe a quick glance because it is helpful to me.

I'm a glancer too! i dont do it on purpose, some people just amaze me, by how long they can run at a higher speed. and maintain it!

Anyone who says they're not a glancer is lying.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    I hold the "handlebars" I have 3 herniated discs and balance is off. Dont be so jugmental. I hate when runners stomp like an elephant stampede and breathe like they are having hard sex, but I deal with it.

:laugh: Don't be so judgmental? You can't beg for non-judgment because you have disc problems then discriminate against someone who runs different than you, who is most likely working harder and not holding on.

I run and stomp and that's because that's how my feet run on a treadmill. I breathe like hard sex cause I'm a smoker and have mild asthma. We all have the right to breathe the same air as you too.. :)
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Tell me! What things bug you when they are happening on the treadmill next to you?

One thing to start: When I'm running my miles, the rest of the treadmill people hold their handlebars as if they are in a supermarkt, pushing their cart!

What bugs ME is people nosying into my workout and judging me for doing what I'm doing... Does it affect your weight loss or performance if I'M holding on to MY handlebars? Why on earth should it bug you?:huh: I may be checking my heart rate, I may be new and worried about flying off the end (that WAS me when I first started actually :laugh: ), I may have a balance issue... who cares unless it is actually interfering with your ability to do your workout? Concentrate on YOUR workout and you won't notice the poor probably already-self-consious handlebar-grabbers.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: You stole my heart and couldn't agree more, what the freak do you care if someone holds on to the handle bars? what is it your business and how does it affect you're weight and workout? seems like a colossal waste of energy to give a fig:grumble:
  • dgage8
    dgage8 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I hate the treadmill. I can't stand the anxiety of thinking other people around me are judging whether I am exercising up to their standard.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    You know what's sad more than the perceived judgment? Folks who b--- about other people griping on an online forum. Has anyone walked up to you and told you to stop holding on in real life? Did anyone add you on MFP making fun of your way of working out? Probably not so let people vent. You'd save yourselves the embarrassment by not admitting you hold on a treadmill or doing any of the other things people are complaining about... but be proud that most of your workouts will mean nothing. I actually don't care that much either way and I don't think other people here do either :laugh:
  • charismanoodles
    charismanoodles Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Nothing haha, I just zone out into my own little world....I'm probably the most annoying there because I'm huffing and panting so loudly.:laugh:
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    When they crank up the incline and hang on for dear life.

LMAO because it's true.
  • shellykzoo
    shellykzoo Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I belt out show tunes and 80s music while on my treadmill. Thankfully I exercise in the safety of my own home. The world is not ready to hear me sing. Trust me!
  • randimarie1125
    randimarie1125 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    smoker? your kidding right? working hard till you drop af an MI. OMG this must be a troll!

I'm a smoker, : ( uncomfortable, and it makes exercise terrible, but its a goal to quit.
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Run...
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Tell me! What things bug you when they are happening on the treadmill next to you?

One thing to start: When I'm running my miles, the rest of the treadmill people hold their handlebars as if they are in a supermarkt, pushing their cart!

What bugs ME is people nosying into my workout and judging me for doing what I'm doing... Does it affect your weight loss or performance if I'M holding on to MY handlebars? Why on earth should it bug you?:huh: I may be checking my heart rate, I may be new and worried about flying off the end (that WAS me when I first started actually :laugh: ), I may have a balance issue... who cares unless it is actually interfering with your ability to do your workout? Concentrate on YOUR workout and you won't notice the poor probably already-self-consious handlebar-grabbers.

^^^ this..if I am on incline of 30!!!!!! at 3.8 mph or higher...damn straight i'm holding on!!! why the hell would this bug someone??? someone staring at your counter or watching you I can see, but someone holding on to the "handles" ..."HAND-les" seriously??? wow lmao
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    There is a guy at my gym who talks to himself "good one, you can do it" - i mean i get self motivating thoughts and proclaimations, but shouldnt they occur in your head!!! haha
  • xDawnsgrace
    xDawnsgrace Posts: 436
    Options
    when they're going .5mph.. then give you a dirty look for running at 9.6 mph or walking at 3.5mph
  • heather86RN
    Options
    That made me laugh!:happy:
  • anon189
    anon189 Posts: 42
    Options
    nothing. I don't really care how others work out. I'm a pretty thin person and work out daily, but I'm not a runner. I ran track wayyy back in the day but I was a sprinter, not distance runner. I have no desire to be a runner, so if I work out on the treadmill I walk. The whole time. Like 4.0-4.5 mph and at a 15% incline but I'm still walking AND holding onto the handlebars. Why should anyone else care what I do? Why should I aspire to be a marathon runner because that's what you want?