Quitting diet soda today

Options

Replies

• scottelle
    scottelle Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I had a serious diet coke problem! haha:-) Quit cold turkey at the end of January. I had headaches for a few days but I feel fantastic now! I drink hot tea at night and still love my coffee in the morning (half regular, half decaf). I drink lots of water during the day and sometimes use TrueLime black cherry limeade to add to my water. It's sweetened with Stevia instead of that nasty fake stuff. You can do it! You're body thanks you!:-)
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I used to LOVE DIET Coke. Then I QUIT. Now I HATE it. If I'm going to have any at all, I always get the high-fructose variety.
  • stamfordjules
    stamfordjules Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I want to ask a question about this. I've been drinking one can of diet caffeine free coke at night, maybe 3-4 nights/wk, as a way to curb my cravings for higher calorie stuff. (If I feel like the dc is a treat it stops me from wanting ice cream and M&Ms.)

How bad is it really? Otherwise I only drink water and coffee (and half a glass of wine at dinner). Is 3-4 cans/week going to have a huge health impact?

But does it really curb your cravings? The sweetener sends messages to your brain that food is coming and when it doesn't you end up craving it! I saw a programme where they split a sports team in half for lunch, the ones drinking diet coke consumed 100 more calories each than those drinking water...
  • mikeberthold
    mikeberthold Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Make sure you don't jump into aspartame as a substitute. Your body doesn't know the difference between real sugar or Aspartame. So it's actually worse. It's increase the chance of Diabetes substantially. It was introduced by the War monger Donald Rumsfeld. Need I say more!

http://www.holistic-health-alternative.com/aspartame-danger.html

I'm happy for you!

I'm sorry, but that link is full of crap.
  • captndalton
    captndalton Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've found if you associate sodas with liquid acid candy, you wouldn't be far off and it's a little easier to control yourself.
  • jenniferswooten
    jenniferswooten Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Giving up Diet Coke has been THE best change I have made. I no longer crave the carby crap I did while drinking soda. I don't even miss it now. Beware of the headaches for the first day or two. Its totally worth it.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey last year. I can't say that I miss it, but now anything with sugar in it is usually too sweet for me.
  • Andaisy1
    Andaisy1 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Good luck!! I had to ween myself off the stuff slowly. Flavored sparkling water & ginger ale helped a lot!
    You can do it!
  • preaser
    preaser Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Here's an article from Mayo Clinic about artificial sweeteners. FYI if you're interested.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/artificial-sweeteners/MY00073

I gave up diet coke a couple years ago, for a couple weeks. I didn't lose an ounce but I did realize I was sleeping so much better. I realized the caffeine was keeping me up at night. So now I drink the caffeine free. I would advise going off slowly to avoid the caffeine withdrawal headaches.
  • Darlin8893
    Darlin8893 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Good for you! That stuff is toxic!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Aspartame is broken down into phenylalanine, aspartic acid, and methanol. Phenylalanine and Aspartic Acid are amino acids and there's a much higher concentration of these aminos in a measly 4oz chicken breast than there is in diet soda. 1 Banana will yield more methanol than a 12oz can of soda. The dosage limits that can cause any issues are VERY HIGH, and you'd have to consume massive amounts to even detect any increased levels in a blood test. Cliffs: Diet soda is fine if you don't get headaches from it, and a very small % of people do. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17828671

Everyone should stop spreading rumors and old-wives tales.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

Aspartame is broken down into phenylalanine, aspartic acid, and methanol. Phenylalanine and Aspartic Acid are amino acids and there's a much higher concentration of these aminos in a measly 4oz chicken breast than there is in diet soda. 1 Banana will yield more methanol than a 12oz can of soda. The dosage limits that can cause any issues are VERY HIGH, and you'd have to consume massive amounts to even detect any increased levels in a blood test. Cliffs: Diet soda is fine if you don't get headaches from it, and a very small % of people do. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17828671

and you should stop criticizing someone who's giving up junk food to be healthier. ;)
  • mrsamyyoung2012
    mrsamyyoung2012 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I was drinking 3 monster energy drinks/day, and I quit cold turkey. It was hard, but I started taking vitamin supplements and it seemed to help. Now with diet and exercise I have more energy than before when I was drinking massive amounts of monster. I'm supporting you giving up your diet drinks!! Stick with it; it's worth it in the end!!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

and you should stop criticizing someone who's giving up junk food to be healthier. ;)

I don't see how I criticized anyone with what I said? I merely asked people to stop spreading propaganda. Unless you consider scientific fact criticism?
  • ChristineLondon
    ChristineLondon Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hiya. I quit about 3 weeks ago and don't miss it at all and neither will you :-)
  • Sorashi
    Sorashi Posts: 41
    Options
    Best decision you ever made.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I think people should drink more diet soda.
  • plawshaw
    plawshaw Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Good for you. Keep us updated on your progress. I know you can do it:wink:
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options

Dispelling pseudo-science propaganda is not what I'd call criticizing.

People get all freaked out when a tiny percentage of the population has a mild sensitivity to a man made chemical and so they think that it's must automatically be evil and deadly. Guess what? Nuts, tree fruits, shellfish, and other natural things are straight up deadly to some people.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

Dispelling pseudo-science propaganda is not what I'd call criticizing.

People get all freaked out when a tiny percentage of the population has a mild sensitivity to a man made chemical and so they think that it's must automatically be evil and deadly. Guess what? Nuts, tree fruits, shellfish, and other natural things are straight up deadly to some people.

science also prescribed leeching at one time.

do we still do it?