In Place Of A Road Map 3/2013

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Okay so I'm a bit confused. I ran the numbers and came up with 1860 cal/day for lightly active. And 1860 would be considered my TDEE? So now I subtract 20% from 1860? If so, this would bring my daily calories to 1488. I just want to be sure I'm doing that part right.

And then the amount of calories I consume on a given day increases with the calories burned during exercise? So if I burn 200 calories walking then I add 200 to 1488 for a calories total that day of 1688? And I'll still lose weight, lol?
    If you did it the way it's explained and if "lightly active" accounts for your workouts and your lifestyle, then I wouldn't "eat back". You would eat the same number every day, and it will average out over workout days and non workout days. What was your BMR out of curiosity.
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Does one do this from Day 1 of their diet or only after they hit a plateau using the calories that MFP calulates? MFP calculates 1250 cal for me...the calculations I got after going thru your steps was 1750 (lightly active). My Pers. Trainer is surprised at that number, he said suggested a 1200-1400 cal diet. (40/40/20). MFP adds my exercise calories to the 1750...or should I ignore that and stick with the 1750? Thanks

I'm not Dan, but I think I can answer this one for you...

You can do this right now! For a lot of people, the differences between MFP + eating back your exercise calories and IPOARM isn't very different, but the difference lies in that you do not have to calculate your exercise calories everyday in order to eat your food, which gives you more energy. If you chose lightly or moderately active as your modifier, you would not calculate or eat back any exercise calories in addition to 1750 since they are already considered.

If you listened to your personal trainer and ate 1200-1400 + your exercise calories, your total might not be all that different. Whatever you choose to do, do it for at least 4-6 weeks and evaluate from there. I hope that helped you. :)
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rivphoenix
    Options
    Does one do this from Day 1 of their diet or only after they hit a plateau using the calories that MFP calulates? MFP calculates 1250 cal for me...the calculations I got after going thru your steps was 1750 (lightly active). My Pers. Trainer is surprised at that number, he said suggested a 1200-1400 cal diet. (40/40/20). MFP adds my exercise calories to the 1750...or should I ignore that and stick with the 1750? Thanks

I'm not Dan, but I think I can answer this one for you...

You can do this right now! For a lot of people, the differences between MFP + eating back your exercise calories and IPOARM isn't very different, but the difference lies in that you do not have to calculate your exercise calories everyday in order to eat your food, which gives you more energy. If you chose lightly or moderately active as your modifier, you would not calculate or eat back any exercise calories in addition to 1750 since they are already considered.

If you listened to your personal trainer and ate 1200-1400 + your exercise calories, your total might not be all that different. Whatever you choose to do, do it for at least 4-6 weeks and evaluate from there. I hope that helped you. :)

Thanks!!! I am not sure if my PT would have suggested eating more after sports though. So basically, I can put in the 1750 and just not have MFP do the exercise calculations daily. Currently I have ignored MFP's suggestion of 1250 cal and customized them at 1500 (which is the 1750- 20%) and let MFP add my exercise to that.
    Other thing that I do not understand, I use all my fat % and sugars....even though I am not eating any bad foods, aside from a bit of fruit. I also canceled out the nuts and nut butters, and using coconut oil...STILL I am over the fat %. My proteins are not high enough, but I do not know where to pick up more from. I can not eat eggs unless I eat them whole. I already have chicken and meat in my log daily...also protein powder (which when I put it in 1.5% milk) brings up the fat and carbs too.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Aello11
    Aello11 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    bump! and thank you :smile:
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Zuragh
    Zuragh Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    bump
  • suchastruggle
    suchastruggle Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,152 Member
    Options
    bumping away
  • _Doreen_
    _Doreen_ Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Bump :smile:
  • sammielealea
    sammielealea Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    BUMP :flowerforyou:
  • RhondaOnAJourney
    RhondaOnAJourney Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    This is so informative. Thank you.
  • MommaFuhrer
    MommaFuhrer Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • bzeisig
    bzeisig Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I really needed to see this!! Thank you so much
  • jevoyager
    jevoyager Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Awesome, I was just thinking about how to work this out the same way (setting MFP so I do add back/eat exercise cals cause they can vary quite a bit for me). I think this is what I tried to do before, because I've been on a plateau for months. I tried just setting it at one level and not adding exercise back, but then I found myself not exercising as much - yup getting those exercise calories is motivation for me. I'm sure it shouldn't but it is, so oh well. But instead of using sedentary as my baseline for calories, I've been using my BMR as my baseline. And I've still been pretty much a plateau (lose/gain the same 5-8lbs), so maybe changing this will do *something* cause this plateau is driving me nuts.

how does this week without working out??
    ive set my daily calorie intake on my BMR and if i do work out, i would eat the calories back.. but since i am not working out. what should i do?

Follow Dan's Roadmap and just eat those calories set out in it. No calories earned through exercise? None to eat back!

There are two ways to do the Roadmap:

1. Calculate your exercise for the week into your TDEE and eat those calories every day.
    2. Calculate your TDEE as if you were completely sedentary, log all exercise, then eat those calories back.

I do the second option as some weeks I exercise six times, other weeks three. I also do big hikes at the weekend and my calorie burn can wildly vary. I use a HRM to make sure I'm fairly accurate and have to admit I quite like seeing the numbers "earned". It also gives me a bigger incentive to get off the sofa and move my backside if I log then eat back.

Dan: Please do give me a slap if I'm wrong/talking nonsense/you can put it better! :)

Bottom line - Roadmap works and doesn't feel like a diet. That makes me a happy bunny.
  • xjckemx
    xjckemx Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    The tdee calculation.. Can someone tell me I am right. I used lightly active exercise 1/3 times week. I do the 30 ds 5 times a week but that's only 23 mins a time. I am however on the go from when I get up to about 8 pm. Other than my 2 office days. I'm always running round all over place I have 3 kids. I don't sit didn't during day bar half hour for lunch. But I assume I'm still "lightly active". As I don't do anymore exercise. I don't want to put it up in case calaries to high, but on other hand want all the calories I'm allowed lol!!
  • lumstead0317
    lumstead0317 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Quick question, but is there any way to change it so you can record your workout but it won't add to your calories? I still want to record my workouts so I know what I'm doing and when I'm doing it, but if you aren't supposed to eat back those calories i don't want them showing up! Thanks!
  • anasantos61
    anasantos61 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I record my workouts as 1 calorie and in the food on excercise notes I input my workout and calories burned.
  • MissSjolin
    MissSjolin Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    how does this week without working out??
    ive set my daily calorie intake on my BMR and if i do work out, i would eat the calories back.. but since i am not working out. what should i do?

Follow Dan's Roadmap and just eat those calories set out in it. No calories earned through exercise? None to eat back!

There are two ways to do the Roadmap:

1. Calculate your exercise for the week into your TDEE and eat those calories every day.
    2. Calculate your TDEE as if you were completely sedentary, log all exercise, then eat those calories back.

I do the second option as some weeks I exercise six times, other weeks three. I also do big hikes at the weekend and my calorie burn can wildly vary. I use a HRM to make sure I'm fairly accurate and have to admit I quite like seeing the numbers "earned". It also gives me a bigger incentive to get off the sofa and move my backside if I log then eat back.

Dan: Please do give me a slap if I'm wrong/talking nonsense/you can put it better! :)

Bottom line - Roadmap works and doesn't feel like a diet. That makes me a happy bunny.

Ok so if I understood this correctly, if I calculate my -20% TDEE from the sedentary number I can still log and eat back my excersise calories?