In Place Of A Road Map 3/2013

Options

Replies

• kenj13
    kenj13 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Currently giving TDEE & BMR a try; it's only been a few days and I've seen some results! :happy:

Question: When should you re-evaluate your TDEE and BMR when losing weight? About every 10-20 lbs?
    Thanks for all your help! :smile:
  • alexeye11
    alexeye11 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    bump
  • judydelo1
    judydelo1 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Okay so I'm a bit confused. I ran the numbers and came up with 1860 cal/day for lightly active. And 1860 would be considered my TDEE? So now I subtract 20% from 1860? If so, this would bring my daily calories to 1488. I just want to be sure I'm doing that part right.

And then the amount of calories I consume on a given day increases with the calories burned during exercise? So if I burn 200 calories walking then I add 200 to 1488 for a calories total that day of 1688? And I'll still lose weight, lol?
    If you did it the way it's explained and if "lightly active" accounts for your workouts and your lifestyle, then I wouldn't "eat back". You would eat the same number every day, and it will average out over workout days and non workout days. What was your BMR out of curiosity.

Sabine I'm not lightly active. I am just starting out but I've been doing at least 30 min of exercise a day including rowing, weight lifting, walking, yoga and soon I'll have a Bellicon rebounder. Once my body adjusts to this level of exercise I'll increase to 60 minutes of aerobics and weight lifting 3-4 times a week.

My BMR according to the Harris-Benedict Formula is 1353 and according to Katch-McArdle Formula it's 1470 (big difference) and according to Scooby's Formula it's 1346 (pretty close to the Harris-Benedict number).
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Quick question, but is there any way to change it so you can record your workout but it won't add to your calories? I still want to record my workouts so I know what I'm doing and when I'm doing it, but if you aren't supposed to eat back those calories i don't want them showing up! Thanks!
    on myfitnesspal? not really. I log mine as 1 calorie and then comment to myself what the amount was.

I'd love it if you had the option to use MFP, input your calories and NOT have it mess up your calories and macros.
  • loril13
    loril13 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Thank you. This makes sense.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Okay so I'm a bit confused. I ran the numbers and came up with 1860 cal/day for lightly active. And 1860 would be considered my TDEE? So now I subtract 20% from 1860? If so, this would bring my daily calories to 1488. I just want to be sure I'm doing that part right.

And then the amount of calories I consume on a given day increases with the calories burned during exercise? So if I burn 200 calories walking then I add 200 to 1488 for a calories total that day of 1688? And I'll still lose weight, lol?
    If you did it the way it's explained and if "lightly active" accounts for your workouts and your lifestyle, then I wouldn't "eat back". You would eat the same number every day, and it will average out over workout days and non workout days. What was your BMR out of curiosity.

Sabine I'm not lightly active. I am just starting out but I've been doing at least 30 min of exercise a day including rowing, weight lifting, walking, yoga and soon I'll have a Bellicon rebounder. Once my body adjusts to this level of exercise I'll increase to 60 minutes of aerobics and weight lifting 3-4 times a week.

My BMR according to the Harris-Benedict Formula is 1353 and according to Katch-McArdle Formula it's 1470 (big difference) and according to Scooby's Formula it's 1346 (pretty close to the Harris-Benedict number).
    If I'm understanding you, then you would "eat back" at least some. I used the "active" multiplier and don't eat back my calories.
  • BAFilek
    BAFilek Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Mommy4812
    Mommy4812 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Is the number given to me on fit2fatradio my TDEE? How do I calculate the percentage?
  • dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ddipert
    ddipert Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    thanks
  • Atarahh
    Atarahh Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    bumop
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    bump
  • timeforme_2013
    timeforme_2013 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Currently giving TDEE & BMR a try; it's only been a few days and I've seen some results! :happy:

Question: When should you re-evaluate your TDEE and BMR when losing weight? About every 10-20 lbs?
    Thanks for all your help! :smile:

yes, you will have to tweek your numbers once you begin to loose weight.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    how does this week without working out??
    ive set my daily calorie intake on my BMR and if i do work out, i would eat the calories back.. but since i am not working out. what should i do?

Follow Dan's Roadmap and just eat those calories set out in it. No calories earned through exercise? None to eat back!

There are two ways to do the Roadmap:

1. Calculate your exercise for the week into your TDEE and eat those calories every day.
    2. Calculate your TDEE as if you were completely sedentary, log all exercise, then eat those calories back.

I do the second option as some weeks I exercise six times, other weeks three. I also do big hikes at the weekend and my calorie burn can wildly vary. I use a HRM to make sure I'm fairly accurate and have to admit I quite like seeing the numbers "earned". It also gives me a bigger incentive to get off the sofa and move my backside if I log then eat back.

Dan: Please do give me a slap if I'm wrong/talking nonsense/you can put it better! :)

Bottom line - Roadmap works and doesn't feel like a diet. That makes me a happy bunny.

Ok so if I understood this correctly, if I calculate my -20% TDEE from the sedentary number I can still log and eat back my excersise calories?

Absolutely; that's how I do it. Some weeks I exercise four times, some weeks six, some weeks I do a two-hour hike, some weeks I do a six-hour climb up a mountain. Basically I find it difficult to include my activity level in my TDEE. Besides, I love logging my calorie burn!

Just be careful about how you calculate your burn. The MFP database often overestimates burn so I use a HRM to be a bit more accurate.
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I know this may sound like a silly question as I've found this road map very easy to follow however, there is one thing i'm confused about if someone could clarify...why enter our current wait instead of our goal weight?...should we not be entering our goal weight to determine what we should be eating at....or do we work out the -20% drop ourselves..

Yes - work out the -20% yourself from your TDEE :)
    Thank youu :)
  • judydelo1
    judydelo1 Posts: 281 Member
    Options

If I'm understanding you, then you would "eat back" at least some. I used the "active" multiplier and don't eat back my calories.

Okie dokie. I'm glad that this whole process is demystified. Thanks for helping to explain it and THANKS DAN!
  • lizlkbg
    lizlkbg Posts: 566
    Options
    bump
  • Mommy4812
    Mommy4812 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    If I exercise 4-5 days a week should I go by the moderately active TDEE?
  • cald0nia
    cald0nia Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Rosegardenia
    Rosegardenia Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Bump! Appreciated!:love: