Atheists

Options

Replies

• AlanTuring
    AlanTuring Posts: 159
    Options
    I was A simple peaceful atheist until... Well, now I'm a militant atheist .
    Ugh. Militant anything is so sad.

That Spaghetti Monster thing though! Oh man, so hilarious! It's funny because it's like a religion, get it?! ha ha ha ha ha oh man.
  • debm218
    debm218 Posts: 10
    Options
    Me. :) I've unfriended someone because their heavily religious profile wasn't viewable until after we were friends. I'm not against those of religious backgrounds, but there's only so much thanking of god & whatnot I can handle reading.

For real. Do I really need to thank god and baby jesus when I'm the one sweatin' her a** off at the gym? I'm the one doing the work. I thank myself, and soon I shall call myself "Goddess" :)
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I'm an agnostic atheist, add me if you want! I've unfriended a few people when I saw all their Jesus statuses, I had no idea religion played into weight loss so much LOL.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I am a cradle Catholic who teaches in a Catholic school. So, I believe in God, Jesus and all those folks.

But, I also am accepting of others' beliefs, non or active. It's not my place to preach to anyone about what I believe, just as it is nobody's place to preach to me about what I "should" believe.
  • ursus_maritimus
    Options
    If I had to worship someone/something... I'd be more likely to pick Einstein, Darwin or Richard Dawkins ;)
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    If I had to worship someone/something... I'd be more likely to pick Einstein, Darwin or Richard Dawkins ;)

Throw Nate Silver in there too and we're set!
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    fastfoodietofitcutie Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I'm not an athiest but have de-friended people who post scripture every day. I respect everyone's religious beliefs but believe God isn't giving you the will power to not eat that cheeseburger, that's free will.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Atheism isn't a "religion." It's a point of view, a philosophy, an approach based on available facts, with an insistence on that which can be proved.

Would the forum lock a thread asking, "Do you believe in global warming?" That could be just as "divisive."
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Atheism isn't a "religion." It's a point of view, a philosophy, an approach based on available facts, with an insistence on that which can be proved.

Would the forum lock a thread asking, "Do you believe in global warming?" That could be just as "divisive."

I disagree. Atheism...(or probably more accurately, antitheism)...behaves exactly like a religion, at least in a setting such as this. As such, I suspect it makes sense for MFP to treat it as such.

ETA: I apparently had a surplus supply of the word "such" and decided to use as many as I could in this post...

...and such. Such such such. Such.

There, I'm done.

Such.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

We'll let the mods decide that then and continue on without bringing up the possibility that the mods will find it "divisive", shall we?
    We all agree that the birthday thread thing was stupid. But let's not let a previous stupid decisions ruin this thread.

I can bring up whatever I like and post whatever I like. Someone asked how it violated the rules, a post that wasn't even originally made by me, and all I did was copy and paste to answer their questions.

I'm gunna go ahead and point out that it's quite hilarious that you say you can post or bring up "whatever you like" but the point of your original post was that someone else can't because it would be deemed "divisive" by the mods.

But you've made your point. You know rules. That's the only reason why you posted in this thread. To let people know the rules.

My posting the rules isn't in violation of the rules so we must (we do) have different senses of humor because I fail to see how my saying I can post what I want (with I hope an implied "within the rules") is "hilarious."

I provided an answer to a question. I believe that is usually the SOLE purpose of posting in a thread, is it not? To answer a question?

Edit to emphasize the USUALLY before getting jumped on for it.
  • AlanTuring
    Options

I disagree. Atheism...(or probably more accurately, antitheism)...behaves exactly like a religion, at least in a setting such as this. As such, I suspect it makes sense for MFP to treat it as such.
    I have to agree with this one, tbh. Atheism may not be a religion, but it has enough traits in common with religion that treating it in the same manner as a religion for the purposes of moderation just makes sense. Much in the same way that there are plenty of Buddhist philosophies that are arguably not religious, but which would get roughly the same treatment.
  • AlanTuring
    Options
    My posting the rules isn't in violation of the rules so we must (we do) have different senses of humor because I fail to see how my saying I can post what I want (with I hope an implied "within the rules") is "hilarious."

I provided an answer to a question. I believe that is usually the SOLE purpose of posting in a thread, is it not? To answer a question?

You know who else used to answer questions?

HITLER.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I have to agree with this one, tbh. Atheism may not be a religion, but it has enough traits in common with religion that treating it in the same manner as a religion for the purposes of moderation just makes sense. Much in the same way that there are plenty of Buddhist philosophies that are arguably not religious, but which would get roughly the same treatment.

^ Yep yep.
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I'm a Christian that loves science, and has tons of respect for people from all religions. I've spent a few years studying religion and it has been amazing. I enjoy hearing about peoples beliefs and what brought them to their beliefs (or lack there of).
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

HITLER.

He also used to be a vegetarian...

ETA: Just saying to say..lol. No offense meant to the awesome veggies out there :D
  • AlanTuring
    Options

HITLER.

He also used to be a vegetarian...
    The only reason I'm a pescetarian instead of a vegetarian is so that I don't turn into a Nazi.

Logic, ladies and gentlemen.
  • shellisugar
    shellisugar Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    As atheist as they come.
  • linxus
    linxus Posts: 87
    Options

HITLER.

I just spit out my drink.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I believe in miracles. Where you from? You sexy thing. (you sexy thing, you)
  • shanaya37
    shanaya37 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Atheist here. Feel free to add me as a friend. :-)
This discussion has been closed.