Cardio doesn't burn fat!!!

Options

Replies

• Game8
    Game8 Posts: 442
    Options
    So, you don't do any cardio? At all?

Only to warm up and lubricate my joints before weight lifting.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    The only benefit is basically allowing you to eat more food. That's it.

..... Health?
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to lose fat. I do cardio, strength training, and stretching to have the strength, endurance and flexibility for the kinds of sports that I like. I can tell the difference, when I'm climbing around caves, if I've been interval training, compared to just taking long walks.
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    So, we're in the third grade again? Mines better than yours....Ugh...
    *shakes her head*
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

Aren't you going to require cardiovascular endurance in basic training?
  • momof2TONI
    momof2TONI Posts: 116
    Options
    I do cardio so when zombies or a kidnapper chases after me, I can out run them. Seems beneficial to me.

hahaha.... love this!!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I enjoy both cardio and strength training. However, as another poster has said - you seem confused.

And I'm one of those who actually enjoy cardio BECAUSE of the cardiovascular benefits. I love the way my breathing feels after a good run. My entire respiratory system feels clear and healthy for the day. I love the sound of my heart trying to pump out as much blood as it can.

I also run because I get a high from it. As a recovering drug addict, the high I get from a good run is paramount to staying sober.

So knock on cardio all you want, but knock on it to yourself, please.

It's good you enjoy cardio. But I think 90% of people look at it as torture. Ask any random overweight person at your gym how "high" they're feeling while they huff and puff on the treadmill, their facial expression should give you an idea.

I find myself being that special snowflake alot on here for some reason..... but I truly enjoy endurance cardio, yes the whole huffing and puffing thing, yep love that.... I understand the concept of what you are saying but coming from being home bound for over 2 years and eating myself to 560 lbs. and now 46 months later down 300+ lbs, and spite bad knee's actually enjoying cardio (swimming, elliptical, rowing, whatever it may be) I definitely am not going to give it up anytime soon... Oh and I too enjoy picking stuff up and putting it down 3 to 4 times a week.
  • Dragon67
    Dragon67 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I do cardio so when zombies or a kidnapper chases after me, I can out run them. Seems beneficial to me.

like !!!!! this made me smile :laugh:
  • Game8
    Options
    I was fine with what you posted until you basically assumed that people who jump on the elliptical most likely aren't doing it for cardiovascular benefits. How come you assume this? Before I continue, I like weights and cardio. I NEED the cardio for the cardiovascular benefits because of horrible family history. I don't have a problem with anyone doing a workout they feel is best. I have a problem with the assumptions. So what if people do cardio to eat more so they can be at a deficit. I would rather see someone in the gym doing something than sitting on their butt watching. So do your thing and let others do theirs ;)

The title of this post is the main thing I'm trying to say. Nothing more, nothing less.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i'm down 80 llbs, which equals exactly my cardio calories burned plus my TDEE deficit. so according to the spreadsheet that i have been keeping track of every calorie consumed and burned, the cardio i did burned a whole lot of fat.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    It's good you enjoy cardio. But I think 90% of people look at it as torture. Ask any random overweight person at your gym how "high" they're feeling while they huff and puff on the treadmill, their facial expression should give you an idea.

To quote a wise MFP poster "An assertion made without evidence can be dismissed without evidence."

Please tell me that you don't seriously think that looking at peoples' facial expressions gives you an accurate idea of how they feel. If you see my face after a 10k run I'll look like crap. And honestly that last k or 2 hell no, I don't like it. But I sure as hell like the way I feel afterwards.

Maybe go look at the faces of some people lifting heavy in the gym? Unless the look of "constipated and struggling to take a giant crap" signals sheer pleasure to you they don't seem to be having much fun either.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options

Rule #1 of Zombieland!
  • skiersteve12345
    skiersteve12345 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    to get ripped or get to a real low bf% cardio is totally irrelevant, you can get to to the body weight you want with diet and weight lifting alone, however cardio imo lets you be more flexible with your diet and it definitely speeds up the process of fat loss, if i didnt enjoy hiit cardio i wouldnt do it, but i do so i do it
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    The title of this post is the main thing I'm trying to say. Nothing more, nothing less.

Well the title is actually incorrect (as you note in your own posting). Cardio burns calories. One place our bodies get calories is from the stored fat.
  • Game8
    Options

Weight lifting, if you're doing it properly, gives all the benefits of cardio and more. I may not have the endurance to run a marathon, by my cardiovascular health is probably better than any marathon runner's.
  • krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options

To quote a wise MFP poster "An assertion made without evidence can be dismissed without evidence."

Please tell me that you don't seriously think that looking at peoples' facial expressions gives you an accurate idea of how they feel. If you see my face after a 10k run I'll look like crap. And honestly that last k or 2 hell no, I don't like it. But I sure as hell like the way I feel afterwards.

Maybe go look at the faces of some people lifting heavy in the gym? Unless the look of "constipated and struggling to take a giant crap" signals sheer pleasure to you they don't seem to be having much fun either.

All the awards, I give them to you.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    actually there should be a mixture of cardio and weight training, i'm over 200lbs if weight training were my only form of exercise i'd look like a beefed up man. no thanks :indifferent:

Not true. You don't have enough testosterone, and it's pretty hard to put on muscle when you're eating at a deficit.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    The point of the post is understood. The hopelessly inaccurate title of the post, however, detracts from the message.

What's more, paradigm shifts in exercise physiology and nutrition happen more than in any other fields. The reason is because most of them are based on poorly funded N=6 studies conducted by third rate scientists from Tier 3 universities.

I'm pretty sure gait is one of the 7 primal movements along with push, pull, squat, bend, twist, and lunge. If someone wants to have a fit and athletic body, they should do all 7.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options

Weight lifting, if you're doing it properly, gives all the benefits of cardio and more. I may not have the endurance to run a marathon, by my cardiovascular health is probably better than any marathon runner's.

Maybe, but my unicorn's cardiovascular health is better than yours.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    actually there should be a mixture of cardio and weight training, i'm over 200lbs if weight training were my only form of exercise i'd look like a beefed up man. no thanks :indifferent:

Untrue. You lack the testosterone to bulk, especially when you have a caloric deficit. People don`t accidentally look like fitness models.

Some women have higher levels of testosterone and can certainly bulk up, even without a high calorie intake. I came across a picture of me 20 yrs ago when I was lifting, and I look like a linebacker! I was actually losing weight during that time, slowly, but it was coming off. I am very muscular, genetically, and it doesn't take much for my muscles to respond.