Cardio doesn't burn fat!!!

Options

Replies

• larnsperger
    larnsperger Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Seriously??? What do you care why people do cardio? It has its benefits and not everyone on the planet can strength train. As a matter of fact I've seen plenty of people lose fat through walking running and elliptical training.
  • lousoulbody
    lousoulbody Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    All studies done on aerobics show that they don't significantly accelerate fat loss than dieting alone. Why then whenever someone wants to lose fat or "get abs" they jump on the elliptical and start swinging and sweating thinking it's a great idea?? The only benefit is basically allowing you to eat more food. That's it. I doubt they're doing it for the cardiovascular benefits either. So if by the end of the day you're at a caloric deficit, you will lose the same amount of fat with or without cardio.

Weight lifting on the other hand has been shown to accelerate fat loss by up to 50% than dieting alone or dieting and cardio. I really genuinely feel sad when I see someone doing an hour or two of cardio on my news feed, and it's for all the wrong reasons..

"All studies", really? Oh to be young again and think you know it all because of an article you read on the internet, open can and check for worms……….tah, dah!

What would Scooby say " http://scoobysworkshop.com/cardio/ " What would Arnold or Cory Everson say?
  • Mickers36
    Mickers36 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    It most certainly does burn my will to live .... I'm on my way to burn through my will to live right now ;)
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    The word you're looking for is masochistic. I've not heard of many cardio sadists, though that would be interesting.

Nah, we're sadists. I want to do cardio and MAKE those weightlifters look at my sweaty face and my wobbly *kitten* bouncing up and down as I run.

That's the sadistic part.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    actually there should be a mixture of cardio and weight training, i'm over 200lbs if weight training were my only form of exercise i'd look like a beefed up man. no thanks :indifferent:

I am sorry but this is not true.
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    "Aerobic training is the best mode of exercise for burning fat, according to Duke researchers who compared aerobic training, resistance training, and a combination of the two.

The study, which appears Dec. 15, 2012, in the Journal of Applied Physiology, is the largest randomized trial to analyze changes in body composition from the three modes of exercise in overweight or obese adults without diabetes"
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    The word you're looking for is masochistic. I've not heard of many cardio sadists, though that would be interesting.

Nah, we're sadists. I want to do cardio and MAKE those weightlifters look at my sweaty face and my wobbly *kitten* bouncing up and down as I run.

That's the sadistic part.
    OHHH! I get it. Thanks!:bigsmile:
  • kittpitt
    kittpitt Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    It`s all good!:tongue:
  • Xiaolongbao
    Options

I think you've misunderstood the rules.

Only articles which support the ideas of the OP count on this thread.

Please don't clutter up the place with your crazy evidence.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Many people seem to just enjoy cardio in a sadistic type of way so much that they miss the whole point of my post. Let me restate it again in a way a grade 5 kid would hopefully understand:

If by the end of the day you're at an x net calorie intake, it will not make a difference in terms of body composition whether or not you had done cardio that day. HOWEVER, if you do weight lifting while still at that same x net calorie intake, you will end up with less fat, more muscle than if you had not.

No I dont think they did miss the point of your post. I think they didnt like the condescending way you basically told everyone that their way sucked and only your way is correct. Some people enjoy cardio... obviously from this thread, if they didnt, 5k's marathons, etc wouldnt be so popular. Weight lifting is something you enjoy thoroughly doesnt mean you have to hold it over everyone because they do something else. They do what they think is best for them, may not be best for you. If you're trying to give advice, maybe choose your words a little more carefully next time.
    A common theme around here.
    I once had a shirtless young man tell me how to best manage menopause.:bigsmile:
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Broscience = no science.
  • Jennnifit
    Jennnifit Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    There was SO much I was going to say as I began typing, but instead - simply decided on this:

SMH :noway:
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I agree with the OP. Cardio does zilch for burning fat. Diet is the key thing for fat loss. Too many people think because the do cardio, they have a golden ticket to eat junk food.
  • 1546mel
    1546mel Posts: 191
    Options
    ya'all overthink it! Have fun, move, eat, enjoy life! Weightlifting is just as important as cardio. i personally am in love with Zumba. IM also over 200 pounds, and i would love to have muscle definition "like a man" so screw that feminine look :) Pump it, lift it, shake it and sweat it out! Love it! Sitting on the couch does not makeya lose calories!
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I once had a shirtless young man tell me how to best manage menopause.:bigsmile:

I believe this would only be good if he had abs and was holding bacon, then he would be worth something.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I agree with the OP. Cardio does zilch for burning fat. Diet is the key thing for fat loss. Too many people think because the do cardio, they have a golden ticket to eat junk food.
    Wrong.

Cardio can be used as a means of calorie reduction. You can only reduce calories so much from your diet. Regarding the junk food comment. You're wrong again.
  • JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    Options

Broscience
  • Xiaolongbao
    Options

First of all I agree about the Duke study BUT

"I believe, and actually the absolute data seems to confirm it, that resistance training plus aerobic training together trumps either type of training by itself. The study authors themselves point out that each type of training has its own set of benefits. But apparently, factoring in the increased time commitment of doing both, they judged in favor of aerobics only as the preferred option for decreasing fat mass."

Even the website you're quoting (which is hardly unbiased) would not agree with the OP. So whichever way you look at it discounting cardo as having no value apart from allowing you to eat more is pretty idiotic.