Why are men intimidated by Succecssful Women ?

Options

Replies

• EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I am intimidated (that's no the right word for it) by people and I find it's 50/50 men and women. They usually are better than me at something that I do that's centric to my identity.

I'm a software developer and whenever I meet another software developer that I know is so much better at it than I am I can't help but feel down about it. Woman or man, it doesn't matter.
  • jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    I think this is becoming less and less the case. I was chosen because I was a badazz as he describes me. i guess that was a prerequisite for eventually staying home and doing nothing but MFP all day? wha? :noway:

I need to find a man who appreciates my professional success and realizes that I am a badass! I think it's awesome when a woman can go out into the world, make something of themselves, be successful and then eventually choose to stay at home. That is what I ultimately want to do, but it's hard to find a man who isn't scared of my success.

When I first had my daughter (she just turned 13) I had a very successful job and we decided as a family that he would stay home with her after the typical maternity period. We had some problems with babysitters & childcare so decided to go this route. His job at the time was hectic, high stress, not the greatest pay and horrible hours. Mine was great with good income and fantastic benefits. No brainer, so he stayed home. Later on we switched and my career became secondary to his (in a way) as we had to move around quite a bit. There was a period of time that I stayed home and homeschooled our daughter. We balance things out and work together as a team for the overall family benefit. He's not intimidated by me or I by him.
  • NVREST
    NVREST Posts: 94
    Options
    Perhaps to be afraid of not being "enough" or "afraid" of not meeting some "expectations"..

Whose Face is on this Ticker ??? LOL

Mine :)
  • crawford4398
    crawford4398 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Bahahaha This has been Fun, I see it helped some get their heart rate up.... See this really is a fitness site. LOL
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I am intimidated (that's no the right word for it) by people and I find it's 50/50 men and women. They usually are better than me at something that I do that's centric to my identity.

I'm a software developer and whenever I meet another software developer that I know is so much better at it than I am I can't help but feel down about it. Woman or man, it doesn't matter.

How do you feel about strong software qa people? ;)
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    because a man needs to be needed by his woman, he needs to feel like he can take care of you, if not financially than he will fix your car, your sink etc, and often times independent women make men feel as if he's not really needed.

If that's the case... then I'm screwed... I have a great job, I'm 6'1", I box, I have and use my own power tools ... there goes the need to protect, support, shelter, and home improve...

Oh but wait...
    I have an ex that makes me cry on a regular basis... so maybe I can hook someone with my emotional vulnerability.

OP... I'm so sorry you suffer so...
    i'm not suggesting a woman should be helpless, just don't make a man feel like he's not needed. as old fashioned as it may seem, men really do want to protect and take care of the woman they're in love with.
  • jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options

Oh but wait...
    I have an ex that makes me cry on a regular basis... so maybe I can hook someone with my emotional vulnerability.

That's it. Your ace in the hole! :laugh:
  • sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    OP I am curious. How do you know it is that they are intimidated by you? Or your successes, etc? Do they come right out and tell you that? Do they just stop calling after this discussion all of the sudden? I'm not quite following.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    OP I am curious. How do you know it is that they are intimidated by you? Or your successes, etc? Do they come right out and tell you that? Do they just stop calling after this discussion all of the sudden? I'm not quite following.

I love your troublemakerness
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    because a man needs to be needed by his woman, he needs to feel like he can take care of you, if not financially than he will fix your car, your sink etc, and often times independent women make men feel as if he's not really needed.

If that's the case... then I'm screwed... I have a great job, I'm 6'1", I box, I have and use my own power tools ... there goes the need to protect, support, shelter, and home improve...

Oh but wait...

OP... I'm so sorry you suffer so...
    i'm not suggesting a woman should be helpless, just don't make a man feel like he's not needed. as old fashioned as it may seem, men really do want to protect and take care of the woman they're in love with.

I know. Sadly that part wasn't really sarcasm. I am kinda screwed. The online dudes are all brave n stuff.. but the ones in person tend to turn away!

Oh well... I refuse to shrink back and pretend I'm less than I am. I don't want to snag someone who is uncomfy with success because I've been subdued. I will wait until I find someone strong enough to handle me as a whole, and until then, buy more power tools! (Oooh I have my eye on a compound mitre saw!)
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Why do women get the delusion that men are intimidated by women, let alone successful women?
  • crawford4398
    Options
    Perhaps to be afraid of not being "enough" or "afraid" of not meeting some "expectations"..

Whose Face is on this Ticker ??? LOL

Mine :)

Nice, !!!
  • crawford4398
    Options

Yeah, Cool response.
  • sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    Options

I love your troublemakerness

You're just intimidated by me.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Why do women get the delusion that men are intimidated by women, let alone successful women?
    exactly. it's usually a crap attitude, not the level of success that turns men off.
  • evilnosehair
    Options
    He needs to prove his worth to me or otherwise he is just a roomate. Sorry guys, you've gotta bring the A game every day to compete. As a professional, highly compensated, genius (Bazinga!), blonde bombshell... you bring anything less then you just aren't trying. I think the intimidation comes into play because most men don't want to have to "bring it" every day. They either know they can't or just think it is too much work. You want to capture the Queen you better be the Prince.
  • morticiamom
    morticiamom Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Why do people ask questions that stereotype the attitudes and behaviors of an entire group because of a few experiences they've had?

Stereo Typing was not the Plan !

I am 33, my experiences have been more than A FEW.

Just looking for feed back. If you don`t have any useful feed back, its OKAY not to respond. Thanks.

This is a public forum. It IS OKAY for someone to post anything that may not be the response you don't want to hear.

And unless you've met and dated 100% of all the men in the world, at least in present day - what you asked is generalizing a group of people.

Mostly Likely so, However it wasn`t meant that way , The post had nothing i didnt want to hear, it just wasn`t advice at all.

I am 53, and probably have more experience. The advice was there in my question by implication. If you approach men with this expectation, they will sense the walls you have up, and react to them. That's not to say that some men don't have such fragile egos that they won't be intimidated, but you will have better luck if you do your best to erase that expectation when you are dealing with men.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Why do people ask questions that stereotype the attitudes and behaviors of an entire group because of a few experiences they've had?

^This...x1000

Yeah, well: ^This.............x100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

Intimidated, yet?

W6EIY37.jpg
  • crawford4398
    Options
    Bahahaha,
    Ok so they Never say your Awesome Rack ( Which i also have) is so intimidating , but comments like....
    You could probably afford that house, but that doesn`t mean i can ???
    or
    I guess if i worked with you i would have a year end salary to match.
    or
    I guess you have room to plan a trip to Italy but i don`t.... Just to name a Few.
    They relationships get AWKWARD after a few of those type Statements.

But i guess you have to be there to get it.

Also yeah, they will quit calling sometimes after a talk about anything involving financial info.
  • crawford4398
    Options

Stereo Typing was not the Plan !

I am 33, my experiences have been more than A FEW.

Just looking for feed back. If you don`t have any useful feed back, its OKAY not to respond. Thanks.

This is a public forum. It IS OKAY for someone to post anything that may not be the response you don't want to hear.

And unless you've met and dated 100% of all the men in the world, at least in present day - what you asked is generalizing a group of people.

Mostly Likely so, However it wasn`t meant that way , The post had nothing i didnt want to hear, it just wasn`t advice at all.

I am 53, and probably have more experience. The advice was there in my question by implication. If you approach men with this expectation, they will sense the walls you have up, and react to them. That's not to say that some men don't have such fragile egos that they won't be intimidated, but you will have better luck if you do your best to erase that expectation when you are dealing with men.

Oh Absolutely True!!

Just try rolling up in Jaguar to meet your lunch date, as he steps out of his Taurus, Not much has to be said. He is done!